/dist/images/branding/favicon

C300 mounting

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Colin, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

As Brad mentioned:D... that low on the radians and your not fully using them to their potential and most likely dealing with greater issues under the hood that prevent you from turning them up.
    What are your flight controller gyro settings... I assume you are flying without AH or PH ? On MK flight controller you are going to have issues getting super smooth footage with these on.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin could you shoot a couple of photos of your rig and how the camera/gimbal is mounted? Also mounting of the Radians? Have you tried a test flight with the Radians in Mode 0 (basically not active) vs Active to isolate whether it is the Radians?

3. Colin

Colin Member

Brad, now you are going somewhere I haven't a clue about. To be honest I don't know what flight controller is being used or settings. We did purchase this as a turnkey solution and assumed it would operate straight away. How wrong. I will try to find out though. We fly in GSP mode, can I assume that AH / PH is attitude hold & position hold. We haven't had the courage yet not to.
    Gary, we'll do some more runs as you describe and take a few photos of the mount.

4. Colin

Colin Member

Can anyone tell me please where we can get the heavy duty clamps for the 360 gimbal, the ones for the side arms to stop any slip downwards from the balance position. Thank you.
    Together we will succeed.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin your FreeFly dealer can get them from FreeFly. They are the Metal Boom Clamps.

6. Brad McGiveron

I feel for ya Colin. You are in ankle deep now and may as well go the rest of the way. You will get there :)

Yes... too bad but you have found why turnkey doesn't really exist with this stuff at a professional level and won't for awhile if ever. Its kinda like buying a Formula 1 car and expecting to win out of the box with no team, driver and direct support. Your better off buying into a team already established.

Anyways yes I imagine you are probably using Mikrokopter or Hoverfly. Find out and we can help you through getting this.
    Like I said, if its Mikrokopter, then flying with altitude hold or position hold will not give you the ultra smooth results you are looking for.
    It kind of looks like that is what is going on but if not there are other things you can look at.

7. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Hi Brad. Im in pretty much the same boat as Colin. Same setup from same company. Not having quite the same level of shake as Colin but still getting a fair amount and definitely not the smooth footage I was hoping for. Im flying with WKM. Mainly in GPS mode but have been trying more in Atti with not much change so far. Total weight of the heli with 2 flight batts and camera is about 12Kg. I'm using Axi 4120/20 motor's, Hobbywing Funfly 80A ESC's and xoar 15 x 4 wooden props. My gains at the moment are 180,180,200,160 atti 100,100. Any advice would be great. Thanks Ben

8. Brad McGiveron

Ah ok so its WKM ! And real nice motors.
    First... 15x4 seems awfully low on the pitch for 12kg on 465kv motors. What is your throttle at when hovering? Probably 70-80% I would bet?
    6s batteries ?

9. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Im using 5s batts. My throttle is at 50% on the hover but that might just be because WKM adjusts it automatically so that hover is always at 50% on the stick. I've been told that anyway

10. Brad McGiveron

oh in Atti yes and Gps but in manual what is it at ?

11. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I'll have to check and let you know. Don't normally fly in manual. You reckon the problem could possibly be the props then? Would you recommend shorter wider ones then? I have read other people saying that would work better with WKM.

12. Brad McGiveron

Ya I fly 400kv motors with around 10-12 kg depending on the accessories and with 14x8's ( this config has shorter booms so I can only run 14's ) at 12 kg it was working very hard and some vibrations. Your 15x4's generate less lift than those ones. I use 16x5's on the X config I run and I know others use 16x6's. I would suggest at least 15x5's or even 15x6 would be better for you with your boom configuration. There is no guarantee this will solve your problem right away but if you are in the 70-80% or higher area in a hover on throttle( true throttle) its most likely there are things going on that could be causing shakes and unwanted vibrations.
    Ideally you want to be at 50% throttle in a hover... or more important 50% of power going thru the motors. Even 60% is workable.

This tool is invaulable http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.asp
    Punch in the numbers and you will see the Hover amps/current and %. Its pretty accurate.

Check your hover in real though and see what it is, then start looking at some solutions.

BTW don't be in atti and flip to manual because it will probably drop like a rock. To test your manual you most likely need to lift off in manual

13. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Brad. Cheers for all the help, its greatly appreciated. As I said I'll double check for real but ecalc is saying 86% on the hover! I'll get back to you when I know for sure. Very tempted to just try bigger props though like you say. Would Xoar ones still be good to use? Would you think going for the 15 x 6's would be the best shout first off?

14. Brad McGiveron

Ya glad to help. I wanted you to see the calculator numbers, its very high and they are very accurate.
    Yes if it were me I would go to 15x6 xoars. But first put in 6s batteries in the calc, even with your props. You see that is the biggest gain and add in a a more appropriate prop combination and you are getting numbers way closer to a proper workload for the machine.
    I am not sure if your ESC's handle 6s but if they do I would head that way before props or at least think about trying it. Props will be another improvement.

Check your hover first and also if you can use a 6s with the ESC's etc.

15. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Yeah its says they can take 6s batts on my esc's. On ecalc with the same props it takes hover down to 61%. If I put in bigger props it gives me critical motor case temp warnings! Maybe I could try some 6s with the same props. I'll check the hover first.

16. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Sorry it actually says 69% on the hover with my current config but if I took it up to 15 x 5 on the props with the 5s batts it says 61%. As I say though I'll check for sure. Whenever I try 6s batts on ecalc it gives me warnings saying max current over the motor limit?!

17. Brad McGiveron

Ya those critical temps only on maximum power with your numbers isn't too much to worry about. You'd have to be on full throttle for a good while before the temps went anywhere.
    But yes its good though to take this one step at a time and in the end 61% is a much better number to be targeting.

18. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Indeed. Heres a little video of the kinda shake im getting. Its on a 5d so really makes it look its worse but see what you reckon.

19. Brad McGiveron

So with 12kg you are flying an Red ? Whats that footage like? I would imagine its slightly better due to more weight.

Yes that just looks like straight up shaking coming thru the gimbal from the copter. It looks like Atti mode there which also might add to your woes if it has bad vibes. Do you get the 3 white light flashes?

20. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

No the 12kg is with the 5d. Heli comes in at about 8.5kg, 2 x batts @ 1kg each then camera and lens @ about 1.5kg. So 12kg altogether. That was in GPS Atti mode yeah. We don't get the light flashes (you mean the ones that indicate its not happy?), just the flash to indicate what mode its in. Its like a proper turbulence style shake. fairly stable in hover but when its moving around its a lot worse. Just ordered some 15x5 props.