/dist/images/branding/favicon

Question regarding Radian set up and remote shutter for camera operator

Discussion in 'Radian' started by SkyHighCinema, Sep 13, 2012.

1. SkyHighCinema

SkyHighCinema New Member

I have single operator system, and am looking into upgrading to Radian, and dual operator system. Specifically I am looking into setting up using the Spektrum satellite receiver.

Under my single operator system, I currently activate the remote shutter off Aux 3 from my DX-8.

With the radian and dual operator system, in order to have my camera operator activate remote shutter, can I simply use the AR8000 in tandem with satellite receiver to plug my remote shutter into Aux 3? If not, what do you recommend?

2. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I will have the same exact situation, with the addition of the famous Holger IR zoom pcb for the Sony 760 when we use that. I've been wondering if the 8000 and the satellite can indeed be used in parallel. It almost seems too good to be true.
    -m

3. Matt White

Matt White New Member

Same issue here, I'm going to try to bind both a satellite receiver and a base 6200... One for gimbal control, the other for triggers. Fingers crossed...

4. Matt White

Matt White New Member

As a follow-up to this, here's what you can do:

Plug satellite into 8000 base.
    Bind the combined unit to the profile on your transmitter you want to use for the camera op.
    Plug the satellite into the Radian.
    Plug the 8000 base into your shutter trigger.
    Power the whole thing on. The 8000 base unit should take commands from the radio the same as the satellite, even though they aren't connected.

I tested the above procedure with an AR6200 unit, with the satellite for the Radian and the base box for the CAMRemote shutter setup we use. Worked a treat!

5. Matt White

Matt White New Member

A better solution for this is to use the Aux output of the radian to control the shutter... Just connect the radian unit closest to your camera or shutter trigger (CAMRemote in my case) to via port 2 on the Radian. Then connect that unit to your PC and set the AUX channel on the Radian to whatever the AUX3 channel is on your DX8 (maybe channel 8?). Then the Radian will send whatever signal is on channel 8 out as a normal PWM signal on #2.

In my case I'm using a DX6i for the camera op, so I have channel 6 (Flaps) as my camera trigger. So, I have channel 6 set as the AUX channel on my Pan radian, which is then connected to the CAMRemote via #2 on the Radian. So I can now trigger my cameras via the flap switch, without having to add a second receiver only for the camera trigger.

Good call on the AUX setup, FreeFly!

HTH...

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Matt,

Glad you are finding the AUX option useful! I use it in the same way and love it. John added a little gem into the system with the inclusion of the AUX channel output.

7. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I am using the aux out of the roll Radian for the camera trigger and using the aux out of the tilt Radian for zoom - mapped to the rudder stick on the DX6i. Excellent solution with minimal wiring!

8. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

This sounds pretty good. SO, let me make sure I understand it. EACH radian controller can be configured to operate aux independently of each other? I could set up the Canon shutter release to one, the Sony trigger (via Holger's pcb) to another? It would be great if Freefly could explain this feature a bit more. Thanks.

9. Matt White

Matt White New Member

That's correct. I have my shutter on the Pan unit because it's a better wiring option, so I set up the Pan unit to output channel 6 on AUX. If I then wanted to get another channel, I could use my roll Radian via configuring the roll unit to output channel 7 on AUX. So the aux on the Pan unit would put out channel 6, and the aux on the roll unit would put out 7. Super neat, because it saves you from needing an extra receiver, and you can essentially output an extra three channels that way if you have a 3-axis Radian setup.

10. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Mike
    Yes, each radian can be set to output 1 channel from your transmitter via connection #2. I assume each can be set up to output the same channel, so you could keep both IR devices ( one for sony, one for canon ) connected and use the same switch on the transmitter.

Joe