/dist/images/branding/favicon

CCW hot motors ?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Kyle Meyerrose, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Kyle Meyerrose

Kyle Meyerrose New Member

So all my flights the last couple of weeks the GPX files have shown that all the counter clockwise motors are running hot also drawing more amps then the others today i tested and felt the motors by hand after the flight and there was a night and day difference in the temps any ideas ? or direction ?

Loaded is a Gpx File from a Radom flight with a Sony CX760 camera when i flew the Canon 5D MK2 the temps and amp were much higher

Also Im running 2 4s 6200 batteries​

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kyle:

The log file is littered with compass errors. I suspect that the compass and the gyros are fighting each other and causing a yawing component that the flight control is having to compensate for -- as you can see below the Magnet Field is OK, but the Magnet Inclination is completely wacko.

There are also I2C bus errors that occur before the log file has started recording -- I suspect these are occuring during the start-up, internal calibration phase.

So, I think there may be a wiring error on the I2C bus, along with problems with the magnetic compass.
    See message #13 on this thread http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/battery-consumption.930/#post-12013
    for suggestions on dealing with the I2C bus.

It may also be that the compass on the NC board is having issues -- or that you have battery wires too close to it.

Andy.

===
    Here's the summary of the GPX file from MK_GPXTOOL:

MK Version: FC HW:2.1 SW:0.88n + NC HW:2.0 SW:0.28p

Flight time: 12:57:03 PM - 1:02:27 PM (324 secs, 00:05:24)
    Total: 341 secs, 00:05:41
    Elevation(GPS) : 0 0.16 4.219 m
    Altitude(Barom.): -0.85 6.44 19 m
    Vertical speed : -1.39 -0.04 1.34 m/s
    Max speed : 12.1 km/h
    Max target dist.: 0 m

Sats: 5 7 9 (min/avg/max)

Voltage: min. 14.7, max. 15.9 V
    Current: 0.5 45 57.8 A
    Wattage: 8 702 895.9 W
    Capacity: 4326 mAh

Motor1: 0.6 5.4 7.6 A Temp: 15 34 43 °C
    Motor2: 0.2 4.9 7.4 A Temp: 23 47 58 °C
    Motor3: 0.3 2.0 3.2 A Temp: 16 23 32 °C
    Motor4: 0.7 9.1 13.7 A Temp: 20 35 50 °C
    Motor5: 1.3 4.1 7.1 A Temp: 14 23 36 °C
    Motor6: 0.2 8.3 12.5 A Temp: 21 37 54 °C
    Motor7: 1.2 4.7 6.5 A Temp: 11 29 42 °C
    Motor8: 0.4 5.1 7.1 A Temp: 17 47 58 °C

Magnet Field: 100 99 100 % (ok)
    Magnet Inclination: 99999 -1 0 deg : This is completely wrong.

Errors / warnings:
    I2C errors: 053 : These are errors on the I2C bus linking the FC, NC, PDB, BL-Ctrl.
    Error "bad compass value" (6) occured 319 times!

3. Kyle Meyerrose

im going to be an idiot for a second what does I2C stand for ?

4. Kyle Meyerrose

Also wanted to mention that it does yaw whacky. it will be straight then it will yaw left and then try and return right just a few degrees in a hover with 0 stick imputs
    I chalked it up to wind or magic or something

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That "wacky" yawing is a by-product of the compass issue. Fix that and you'll un-wack the flying.... :)

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And to amplify my response about I2C, it's the two wire communications bus that links all of the MK Boards together. That's how they communicate with each other -- and explains why MK Tool can communicate with all the boards even though you may only have the MK USB Adapter/Xbee plugged into, say, the Navigation Control board.

Andy.

8. Kyle Meyerrose

On it !!! So usually its a tangable issue ? I leav in 2 days for a Shoot To CA and Im alittle nervious that im going to be dead in the water

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. Firstly get a good bright light and a magnifying glass: Check the Power Distribution Board for any whiskers of solder, wire, etc, that might be causing a short between the C and D contacts on the PDB -- the C & D pads are the I2C wires. Check both sides of the PDB.
    Check both sides of the FC, NC, too.

Then check that all the ribbon cables and Molex cables are good. Remove, reseat. Consider hot gluing back in place.

Use MK Tool you can see the I2C bus error counter. Get MK Tool up and running -- then power up the MK Boards and see when the I2C errors are occurring.

Also see message #13 on this thread http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/battery-consumption.930/#post-12013
    for suggestions on dealing with the I2C bus as I mentioned above.

The compass issue is more worrisome. If you can do it in time, swap out the Navigation Control Board.
    In a pinch, plan to fly manually (no PH or CH) and disable the compass in MK Tool.

Hope this helps
    Andy.

10. Kyle Meyerrose

I almost always fly manually unless its fpv The Gps and NAVI are a fail safe which ive never had to use before, i guess my concern in the now is the yawing effect which would be in the FC ? also when i unplug all the molex connectors and i plug the FC board into the computer I get a nasty beeping and I2C error unless i use the flight battery as a external use of power once i plug that bettery in all the errors go away

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd recommend powering off the copter before you plug/unplug anything -- the purpose of doing that is really just to "exercise" and clean any crud off the contacts and make sure everything is firmly plugged in.

The compass is on the Navigation Control board -- it's used, amongst other things, to help maintain a constant heading when the copter's flying. But, if the compass is suspect, I think it will cause the problems you're seeing.

Andy.

12. Kyle Meyerrose

so is it supposed to be tested with a external batttery or just the usb power?

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kyle can you supply a photo of you FC, NAVI, GPS boards and how they are mounted? Also have you been able to do a compass calibration? You will want to do another one when you get where your shoot is.

14. Kyle Meyerrose

here are the photos

Attached Files:

15. Kyle Meyerrose

ok so when i power up with just the USB MK tools says i have I2C errors
    When i power up with the flight battery also USB attached everything is A ok is this Normal ?
    PS All the molexs are unplugged excpect the USB of Coarse

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kyle thanks for the photos. It looks like your NAVI board is rotated 90 degrees from the correct orientation. It needs to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees. Unlike the FC board the NAVI doesn't have an arrow that points to the front. But if you were to place it on top of the FC board, as was common before we started to mount on them on the front boom. There is only one orientation that will work where the 2x5 10 wire cable jumper and the 2x3 6 wire cable jumper will line up one above the other.

The orientation of your GPS is correct. The MikroKopter name goes to the back as you have it. But the connector wire for the molex, once the NAVI is turned will not cause you to have the connecting wires going from one side of the stack to the other.

Fixing this should alleviate many of the issues. Once you change it I would take the time to do all of the calibrations again. Start with the ACC calibration (copter perfectly balanced on a table top with a bubble level on the battery plate), then outside do a Compass Calibration, and then as usual do the Gyro calibration as you normall do before the next flight.

As Andy pointed out the motors were trying to do what you wanted but were thoroughly confused.