/dist/images/branding/favicon

Need help setting up my Radians

Discussion in 'Radian' started by nathan yant, Feb 9, 2013.

1. nathan yant

nathan yant New Member

I'm trying to set up my Photohigher AV200 with a Pan and Tilt Radian. I've followed the Spectrum wiring Diagram on the Radians instruction page and have connected the pan/tilt servos to the Radians per instructions and have also connected the satellite receive (do I need another receiver?). I've connected power, but I am not sure what I need to do after this point. I bought a separate DX8 so someone else could control the gimbal, but I'm not sure how I get this Radio linked into to the Radians.
    Thanks

2. John Fox

John Fox Member

Nathan,
    Have you installed the software and connected to the Radians? You have to configure each of the Radians for their particular operation.
    All you need for the radio control is a single satellite.

3. nathan yant

nathan yant New Member

I haven't yet configured them, I was trying to figure out how to hook them up to the receiver first. So do I only need to bind the satellite receiver thats hooked up to the radians to my new radio? (WHat do i do with the receiver that came with the satellite receiver?) And then go ahead and configure them? Sorry for the rookie questions, I'm a total newbie with this stuff. Your time is greatly appreciated.

4. John Fox

John Fox Member

Bind the the rx and satellite to your radio if it is not already done from the factory. Then the satellite plugs to the bottom of the first Radian (pan if you are doing 3 axis or roll if you are going 2 axis) From there the signal is sent to the next Radian via the 3 conductor servo type wire coming from port 3 of 1st Radian to port 1 of the next and so on.
    As far as the left over rx goes if you don't have a use for it you can give it to me.:) Keep it in case you need to bind again one day. After all it is a Spektrum!
    It all can be a little confusing but break it down into steps starting with mounting and wiring (as you have) then move to the next. which would be configuration next.
    Here are photos of a highly modified AV130 I put them on which might help some. IMG_2198marked.jpg IMG_2199marked.jpg

5. John Fox

John Fox Member

After you get it working you will need to balance each axis (yes I had to add some led), make sure all movements are smooth and free of slop before final tuning. I also found the FreeFly F360 servos make a big difference in smoothness especially with small movements. I also changed the reduction ration on all axis's to ruffly 5:1. The pan was the worst one at close to 2.5:1 originally and it was just too fast at that.

6. nathan yant

nathan yant New Member

I like how you mounted the radians on your av130, and also cleaned up the wiring. I plan on getting after it tomorrow. In your opinion, the Savox 1290MG servos I have on my gimbal right now won't function well with the Radians? Oh man! more money more money. I'll you know if I get it all figured out. Thanks again.

7. John Fox

John Fox Member

Thanks for the comments. As you can see from the photos I have had to make several modifications to the AV130. One of the first problems I ran into with the gimbal was vibration caused by the flimsy camera cradle section.I think you can get a carbon fiber reinforcement for the AV200.
    I did not have that much luck with the Savox servos. They seem to be to jittery and would show up in the video as small steps especially with slow movements.The free fly servos operate much smoother more like an analog servo would but have the holding power of digital servos plus they have almost no backlash. And at 75 dollars a piece they are a great deal.

8. John Fox

John Fox Member

Nathan,
    What kind of camera are you going to put on the AV 200?

9. nathan yant

nathan yant New Member

Hey John, I've been flying for the last year or so with the Canon t3i and the Canon 10-22mm lens. What camera do you fly with? I have the Droidworx AD6, so I have to put a much smaller camera on there than I would like. I have all the radians hooked up, but running into a few issues with the software. I usually use a Mac, so even the simple stuff on a PC is hard to figure out. For one, I'm not sure how to get 1.3 onto the boot loader. I also can't figure out how to connect the boot loader to the radians. Also can't figure out how to set the mode to one of the switches on my DX8. Any ideas?

10. nathan yant

nathan yant New Member

Disregard software questions. I think I finally figured it outo_O. Now I just have to mess with the software configurations...oh boy.