/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help needed with Radian/Spektrum cabling

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Hannes Frigård, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Hannes Frigård

Thanks Jason, your help is greatly appreciated!

Still more stupid questions;
    On CS8 I have Spektrum TM1000 and AR8000. From AR8000 there is a cable going to a small "box", see the picture:
    _XC15832_.jpg

Is this "the satellite" you are referring to?
    I don't have anything like "the box" on the gimbal, only this AR6115e...
    _XC15835.jpg

2. Hannes Frigård

Update:
    Connected the receiver according to PPM wiring, but Radian Diagnostics cannot detect PPM (PPM Valid is not checked).

Does this mean that the AR6115e is operating as standard PWM receiver?

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Yes, that small box is the satellite and should have been included with your DX6. That is all that is required for your Radian setup.

4. Hannes Frigård

I did not receive any satelite for/with the DX6i (this copter was delivered as RTF...) and DX6i has been controlling the AR6115e (with the original potentiometer setup).

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Hannes I would suggest you contact your dealer since it was an RTF unit.

6. Hannes Frigård

Thanks Gary, I'll try. Propability is not very high though, the service I got was not amongst the most positive ones...

BTW, I had a local rc pilot here to help me and we got things cleared, so now its just setting all up and test flying tomorrow morning.

7. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Hannes I am glad you sorted it out!!!!:)

Can you tell me if you ended up using AR6115e or did you have to buy another satellite just wondering?

8. Hannes Frigård

Used the AR6115 and PWM cabling. Connected GEAR switch for locking/unlocking tilt control and used Throttle for locking/unlocking roll control.
    Found out also that my roll servo was barely functioning, so I switched it with pan servo in order to able to do a short job on saturday.

So far so good:), but...

When I went to do the short video shot, everything was ok, until was flying back...:eek: got sudden wobbling with the copter. It started swaying back and forth with increasing intensity and finally (after few seconds) the whole machine crashed on ice (was flying over a river which was luckily covered with thick ice).
    Damages: broken battery support standoffs (the plastic ones), two pcs of ruined 10000 mAh LiPo's (brand new...), broken CS8 arm, three propellers smashed and three wires ripped off. :( Also the roll servo is propably burnt, since the power fo the gimball was still on when I retrieved the wreck from the ice.
    Luckily the camera (Canon 5D mIII) and lens were ok, as well as the gimball (and Radians).
    Now ordering spare parts...

I've been trying to figure out what caused the accident...

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Hannes if you have the GPX file from the copter and any video from the copter or ground those would help us figure out what might have transpired.

10. Hannes Frigård

What is "the GPX file"?

Yes, I have a short clip from the 5DmIII.

I have a theory of what caused the accident:
    It was a summary of four things:
    a) I made a short test flight (after installing Radians) and tested a lilttle bit with DJI Wookongs gain settings (adjustable from the pilots Spektrum DX8 Tx) and accidentally left the gain setting too high.
    b) allthough the weather felt very calm, the wind maybe 1 - 3 m/s, there was some gusts that might have been up to 8 - 9 m/s
    c) the gain setting on Radians was maybe too high or somehow affecting to the total balance
    d) was trying to fly too fast

Here's what happened: I was (or acctually CS8 was) returning from the "shooting range" and was flying backwards (nose away from the pilot) so the copter part was slanted. A sudden higher wind blow increased the slant angle and copter tried to regain balance. Simulatneously Radinas were doing "a too good job" and strugling against the unbalance. These two opposite movements got to a frequency in which the amplitude started to build up up to a point that there was no control at all and the whole thing crashed on on ice sideways.

Also I have to mention that the previous few days prior this flight were very sterssful and I had a lot of pressure to get this video shot done and delivered (and had just few days earlier returned form an eight day photo/video shoot trip into China: jetlag?).

Hannes