/dist/images/branding/favicon

I2C error counter question

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I feel a lot better tonight!! Wasn't looking forward to having to get another FCB and resoldering everything. I appreciate everyone's help on this issue!!!!! Beers for everyone!!

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Sweet! Glad that worked! :D

NOW GO FLY!

Josh

3. Dave King

4 inches of snow and 15 degrees!!!

4. Dave King

Well IC2 errors are back. They are random too depending upon the luck of the draw when I unplug the battery and reconnect. Sometimes I will get IC2 errors when I" switched on the NAV board but not the flight control board. Sometimes its the opposite, sometimes its on both boards. Sometimes the IC2 errors will increment on the nav board when I initiate the gyros. I reflashed the firmware to both the Nav Board and FCB board and it always starts out at 0 after a reflash but then they come back up depending on the luck of the draw on start up.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave I would post something over on the MK Forums and see if you get an answer.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave can you look in MK tools and let us know what it shows for the FC and Navi software versions? Thanks

7. Dave King

Hi Gary

Here's the screen shots from MKtools. It's 0.88N V4 and v0.28P. In the first picture you can see when I am connected to the flight control board the IC2error has a value of 65. This is random from anywhere from 0 to 77 and this value is there from the time I open up MK tools till I power down. The value doesn't change. The value in the GPX log also stays the same from the time of the first recorded instance to the very last of the flight. In the second picture when I switch to the flight control board the IC errors start at 0, but if I initiate the gyros they will from 0 to 5, and it will add 5 to the count everytime I initiate the gyros. That is the only way this number ever changes in MKtools while monitoring. The 3rd picture is of the boards. Notice that for the hardwiring of the IC2 connections I put JST connections on them so that I can plug them in or unplug them so I can test them with hardwire versus non hardwire. I also did this so that if this problem is determined not to be from the hardwire that I can easily disconnect the boards when I need access to them. I marked each connection in white on the picture. At this point I am ready to tear everything down, remove both boards and check the caps.

MKtools1a.jpg MKtooks2a.jpg MKwiring.jpg

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Dave,

I see you soldered your I2C (C&D) to ESC #4. You will find the C&D pads on the underside of the power distribution ring for hard wiring purposes. I'm not sure if jumping into the middle of the C&D circuit would produce these errors, but it does beg the question.

Further, what are the two wires (red and black) doing that are connected to the 6-pin/spi pins?

Also, the insulation on the red wire in the bottom right hand corner of the last image looks to be melted through.

Greetings,
    Adam

9. Dave King

HI Adam

I'm not sure if tapping the C&D from the top side where ESC #4 is an issue but it's not connected to anything as the JST connector is unplugged. I'm simply using the molex connector to provide the connection.

Where are the 6 pin spi pins? I'm not sure what you are looking at? Are you referring to this connector and these 2 wires? They are the output power wires for the LED's, they are just runnng under it.
    mkspi.jpg

I can't tell from the picture about that wire, it goes to the FPV TX. I will look when I get home.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Here's the location of the D and C pads. You can use any of the "-" contacts for the Ground.

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 10.29.20 AM.png

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave there are two ribbon cables that connect the FC to the NAVI board. One is a 2x5 10 pin and the other is a smaller 2x3 six pin. In the photo it is at the top. It looks like you have the ribbon connector installed but into the RTV there are a black and red wire. Think Adam is asking what those are for.

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 10.39.29 AM.png

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave: In the GPX files, the I2C error counter is cumulative, so if it starts at 65 and stays at 65, then there are no new errors that have been logged (which is a good thing).

I also read Adam's question the same way (and about the same wires) as Gary does above.

Andy.

13. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

After power up the flight control performs a self-test of the I2C buss circuit. With reference to the okto2.mkm file it will look for 8 ESCs. Each of the 8 ESCs has been pre-addressed (1,2,3,4...). This is also the order in which is it looking for them during the self-test. If you follow the raised traces in the PCB of the power distribution board you will see that the C&D traces from the molex connector and the C&D pads on the underside of the ring begin with a "stop" at ESC #1, then #2, #3 and so on.

So now you try creating the circuit with the molex cable/connector, but you still have the "IC2-C&D plug" soldered to ESC#4 which, in effect, is like merging a dead-end road onto a race track.
    The error counter which is only seen after start up is caused because of the additional time to complete the I2C buss self-test. Eventually, all ESCs are found and the I2C error count stops.

I would recommend removing all of the auxiliary wiring labeled in the image above completely from the assembly and returning to the standard molex cable/connector configuration.

Greetings,
    Adam

14. Dave King

HI Adam, Gary and Andy

I think this is what you are referring to, its the main output wires from the extension PC board that is going below the hub to the LED's. It just looks like its going to the connector from the persepctive of the first picture and the "SH*T" load of hot glue I used. Does that explain what you questioned?
    mkspi2.jpg

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

OK. So the red/black wires under the 6-pin connector aren't actually connected to the FC board. Cool.
    I note the KRB on the MOSFETS. I think I know where you got that from! <evil grin>

Andy.

16. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Gary,

Upon closer examination it appears that these two wires actually go under the FC. Tricked my eye too;)

They must terminate on (+,-) pads on the FC or PDRing to provide aux. power to a downlink or something. Personally, I would not recommend pulling power from the FC for any purpose as a surge or bind in the end component could scramble to FC.

Greetings,
    Adam

17. Dave King

OK, thanks for the hellp and suggestion. That is an easy enough suggestion to try. My only questioning is that at least 2 other people on this board did this mod and they are not running issues. I do understand about getting the C&D feed from the bottom instead of ESC#4 and I do believe that they got the C&D feed from the bottom. I'll give it a try tonight and keep my fingers crossed.

18. Dave King

I'm not pulling power from the FCB, it's simply the main outs from the extension PC board down under the hub to feed the power to the LED lights for the booms. I can certainly understand why you thought that though.

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yep the first posted photo didn't have the shadow on those two wires and the RTC on top led to the wires. Now we can't even trust the photos :eek:

20. Dave King

Don't forget the markings on the bullet connectors and the insulation under the nuts that bolt to the boards? I got it from some English guy that says some American guy was too lazy to wireup things properly thus they have IC2 errors. :p