/dist/images/branding/favicon

Preventing moisture damage

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Duane Bradley, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

In light of my last flight where either the fog or a drip caused a BL failure and tested my piloting skills to get my bird home safe, I've really been pondering how to prevent this in the future.

In hindsight, I've ruled out the fog/moisture content of the air causing this as the relative humidity would be pretty low in comparison to many other scenarios (I made a quick YT video for fog reference).

It is much more likely one of the trees I was flying under dropped a drip on my power distro. Anyway, I'm more concerned now with preventing a repeat of this in the future. Are there any solutions you guys are using that work (other than the shower cap).

2. Ben Hall

Ben Hall New Member

i had the same problem years ago with a fixed wing model in fog .

two possible solutions to look at
    1.) plastic coat clear ( seen an iphone being coated and put in fish tank on YT ) i think it might be a messy idea imho but a possibility
    2.) nano coatings . i dont know much more about them other then it can coat stuff internally not messy and ideal for electronic. who does this . where to have it done i dont know . but google will be your friend . worth a look for sure if you want to fly in damp . could be very useful subject to so please post results of findings

3. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

What does the conformal coating spray do in this situation? I have not yet done it but if it can't take the accidental rain drop we need something better.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I referenced that video a few days back to see if anyone had looked into it further - here is the site http://www.liquipel.com/ Currently that service only accepts phones for coating. I contacted them to see if they will accept other electronics, I'll let you know when I hear back.

6. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

7. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Duane... I was flying my WKM CS8 on one of those foggy days and I was surprised how much moisture got on the booms just from the props pushing the air down. They were literally dripping out near the motors. The whole multi was damp and this is one of the reasons my MK CS stays inside on days like this.
    I have had no issue with the WKM in the snow and even light rain, although I am not trying to push it too far. I did however have a total loss of power on the MK in the snow with a hood on it.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Glad it's useful Marc.
    One thing I omitted from the document (but is on the web page) is to clean the crud/merde/sheisse** off the boards before you spray them!

Let me also acknowledge Wolfgang Amri's photography! He saved me a bunch of work and was kind enough to review the document several times.

Andy.

** This is an international forum! <evil grin>

9. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

What ever you do, do not spray that silicone circuit board coating stuff on your boards, QC had a post on their facebook page, saying it was a good idea to do when flying around salty areas like the beach, I followed their directions and after about five flights by Mikropter did the flip of death on me after about 2 minutes of flying. I was shocked, I destroyed an AV200 and almost all my booms. I mounted the FC onto a crap frame I had and flew it a few feet off the ground and when I got to about 2 minutes of flight time. it flipped again. Just like the DJI systems used to do when they first came out. Sent it to QC, they sent it to MK and MK told them and Me that it was because of the spray, no charge to me at least but I could never trust that FC again.