/dist/images/branding/favicon

Direct drive controller

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Pavlos Antoniou, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Pavlos Antoniou

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm getting motion sickness.....but it looks interesting.

Andy.

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Guys and gals remember these days, these days are the beginnings of an evolution.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Cool post today from the Kopterworx guys on Facebook. They posted a video demo of this thing, too. Pretty incredible.

Safari-snap002.jpg

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Now if only the Go Pro 3 will work reliably -- sounds like quite a few folks are having problems.

Andy.

6. Steve Maller

Mine is working fine. I had two microSD cards, and one seemed to be bad. But it works fine with the other one.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good to hear. I bought SanDisk Extremes in the hope of avoiding some of the problems reported. Let's see....
    Andy.

8. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

That's a pretty cool little gimbal.

nick

9. Pavlos Antoniou

Some more information about the controller.!

Good afternoon,

we have updated the web page and have added more informations like prices estimations and technical details.

PCB's and Motors are being processed ("Pro" version of the motors, the "Hoby" versions will be available in March).

For the " Luxury " mechanics, we start milling final pre production versions next week. They will be tested and we will have a few testers checking that it's stress free to build , wire ( video cables on the Go pro 3) and that everything is working fine.

Once done, and final small modification made if necessary, we will start the production.

The first batch is 300 pcs and is covering so far the pre orders / reservation requests we have at the moment, and there is still a little remaining stock. We will launch a new batch in the next couple of weeks in order to be able to answer to the requests, so there is no stress to have to be on the list.

We will give availability estimations in 2 weeks for the complete kits and DIY kits :)

Due to the high demands overseas and i far far away countries, we have or are setting up small partnerships with a few partners to allow the prices to remain acceptable. Please note that all the prices we give as estimations actually are including 19,6% of VAT, which means you can remove close to 19% for overseas prices if you are not concerned by VAT in your country

TOmorrow evening we will be at the CNC factory with Thierry to work on the milling strategies and drawings refinement, in order to reduce the number of operations when it is possible and tool changes, and ensure the best repeatability ( meaning that on 100 pcs, 100 are good instead of 80 ok and 20 almost ok only) . We will also make small modifications, then we will wot with David to make the changes on the solid works file, to prepare the user manual.

The top bracket of the camera cage will have a small milled pocket to receive the IMU and a small cover to protect it also.

We will deliver a small aluminum housing for the Controller also, because it protects the unit and it acts as a heat dissipator also. And it looks great :)

Some people asked us if some ESC's were needed. No ESC is needed, motors plug directly on the Gimbal . You will find attached a diagram for installation.

The 2 big chips on the controller are acting in fact, by simplifying, as the association of Mosfets and Drivers in conventional BRushless ESC's.

The small Button is on the FC to act as menu button. We will describe the functionnalities and base tuning rules in the manual, which will be available very soon for download.

All that is needed is a lipo, but we are checking with our great friends " Gryphon" in Korea if they can supply us some Mini AV beck regulators ( 12V bed with very clean signal) so we could maybe propose something allowing no additional lipo and also allowing the feeding of the controller / motors and also a video transmitter. We will test and see how it works :)

You can read the latest news directly on the website and we will send a new update within 3 days.

We want to thank you warmly for your interest in this product, and for all those who sent kind words about this product, please do not forget that nothing would have been possible without Alexmos ( www.simplebgc.com) who allowed us to produce the controller under license from him.

This is for us clearly a very nice business opportunity also, we have to recognize it, and we will do our best to show you the " E-Copter" quality as we do it for custom projects manufacturing :)

Please, do not hesitate to send us any comment or suggestions, we are opened to all remarks, positive or negative :)

10. Pavlos Antoniou

this is the connection diagram..! i Think that when the release the version for dslrs we can put it easily on the cs gimbal..

What do you think??connection_diagram-1.pdf

Attached Files:

11. Howard Dapp

Pavlos, thank you for the information. How soon before you guys start building and testing larger DSLR size (Canon 5D3) direct drive gimbals? Dare I ask about even larger gimbals for Sony and RED. Ultimately these are the size gimbals folks here would love to see.Yes, I know you gotta crawl before you walk but I just had to ask.

Feel free to tell me to take a chill pill:)

12. Pavlos Antoniou

They dont know exactly...! THey have to release these Hobby and Pro versions and then they will test and the Heavy lift..>! The evolution started so in 2013 we will be ready...!

Its time to start thinking how to convert the Cs gimbal to DD... i think its very easy for tilt and roll.. what do you think?

Tabb will you do it for us?? :) :)

13. Howard Dapp

Will the GoPro version have the same performance as the Zenmuse? stabilizing all minor shakes, bumps and twitches. From looking at the above video it certainly looks extremely fast.

14. Steve Maller

Have you watched the video? It's pretty damn impressive, but the GoPro is super light, so it remains to be seen whether this approach can scale up to larger cameras.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's impressive, as you say.

Andy.

16. Howard Dapp

Steve, I did see this video. Yes VERY impressive but two things I notice. During the roll test toward the end of the video, there seems to be a lag in roll return to level, meaning, when the multi rolls left and right then returns to level, it seems the camera doesn't quite remain level, you can see the camera level itself out a second or 2 after the multi completes a roll. It would be much easier to see using a camera with a narrower FOV. Also the landing bump, I may be wrong but I think the Zenmuse would have stabilized some of that landing bump, not 100% sure about that but I feel strongly that it probably would. In all I am still very impressed!

17. Pavlos Antoniou

I am sure that this will be better than ZenMuse.. :) :)

These are the tests that you see on videos..1

Howard Dapp likes this.
  18. Howard Dapp

This is exciting. Another good test would be to mount a couple of props that are not well balanced, angle the camera up a little to see the booms then launch that puppy. Would love to see how it handles high frequency vibe.

19. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Now that is nothing but really nasty Howard ;-)

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The real world is a harsh, uncaring, place!
    Andy.

Josh Lambeth likes this.