/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing 3-Axis Gimbal with Sony HDR CX760

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Rex. Good to know it's that easy with FCPX. I could perhaps import it into FCPX, then export as .MOV so that I can do my thing in FCP7 -- haven't quite reconciled cutting over to FCPX yet. Actually, I'm more leaning towards either Adobe Premiere or perhaps even Avid.

But thanks for taking the time to post.

Andy.

2. fireflydigital

fireflydigital New Member

I have the Sony NX30 and was using a Manfrotto camera plate then I can adjust the camera to where I want it. Only issue other than weight is that it raises the camera a bit too high. I wonder if there is a screw out there with a thin wide head that would fit between the plate and the cross bar? That way you could simply use it to thumb tighten the camera and it could stay there permanantly.

As for FCPX, I have done a number of projects with it and drives me crazy every time. Time to try Premiere I think.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah....I feel the gravitational pull from Premiere....the learning curve on After Effects is a bit steep but I think it will be worth the effort.

Andy.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

[resurrecting a dormant thread here]
    Andy (and others),
    What did you end up doing to achieve balance with your CX760V?
    The CoG of that camera makes it difficult to use the FF camera mount as its constructed.
    I've redoubled my efforts to finish trimming out my bird, and I'm not happy with how the gimbal is balancing with the Sony. But (as folks like Tabb said above) maybe close is good enough? Especially if it means extra weight or complexity in the mounting.
    Thanks!

5. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Steve, it is possible to balance perfectly if you raise the camera so that its centerline is at the right place relative to the tilt pivot point. Some guys did this with custom fabricated supports or you could use something like the adjustable tilt bar pieces that FreeFly makes.

http://www.quadrocopter.com/Adjustable-Tilt-Bar_p_707.html

nick

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Raising the side booms up so that the C of G of the camera was on the line of the roll axis. That was the only axis that was giving me problems as I recall.

Andy.

7. Steve Maller

Thanks, y'all!

8. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Steve
    If you did not see it, this is how I did it. In all, I raised the mount plate 15mm to get a good tilt balance. Quadrocopter now offers these, which is more elegant than my mcgyver solution.
    Best
    Joe

9. Steve Maller

Thanks, Joe!

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe, what is the purpose of the 'fence' in the one photo?

11. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Gary
    Since I am using the axial slot on the camera plate, I am able to slide the camera up against the fence ( or 'stop' ) then tighten the tripod screw. This way my camera is balanced in roll every time. Of course, you could just mark the location with tape or silver marker...

Secondarily, I have attached the Gentled IR transmitter to the fence so it is positioned nicely for remote operation.

Joe

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe nice idea.

13. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Is there anyone that can recommend me the size and weight of a 2S lipo for the Cinestar 3 / Radian / Sony 730 setup?

I have no idea what this gimbal setup will use in flight so I am in the dark with this one.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I realize that I'm not quite answering your question, but I use the Quadrocopter QC-1200 3S LiPo. Are you using a video downlink for the 730? If so, it may require the higher voltage of the 3S.

Andy.

15. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Hi Andy,

We use an Immersion 600mW tx (7-25V) I want 2S so I can monitor the lipo in flight with the Hott receiver (after the receiver a bec to 6V)

How many flight's do you have with that 1200mAh lipo?

Mario

16. Steve Maller

I do not suggest using a 2S battery. Most of what flies on the copter is either 12V or 5V. And you're better off reducing 12V to a stable 5V than you are relying on a 2S battery's voltage level.

I get 25-30 minutes off of a 1200mA 3S battery like Andy mentions. Mine is running a 2-axis gimbal, 2 Radians, a 1500mW Iftron video TX, and a small CCD security camera. I split the 1200's output between the 12V stuff and the little Castle BEC that runs the Radians.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mario:
    As Steve says, I get about 30 minutes on the 1200. I use a small LiPo alarm from DPCAV that monitors this LiPo so I don't overdischarge it.
    I'm running a 3-Axis gimbal, 3 Radians and a 1000 mw Mondo Stinger along with a FF HDMI converter.

Andy.

18. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Thanks guy's :)

I am out of the dark.

Steve Maller likes this.
  19. Steve Maller

Andy, are you running the HDMI convertor for the CX760V? Or the 5D Mark III? I found out that both of them can directly output composite video with the appropriate cables, so I've actually stopped using the HDMI converter. I actually only have one camera that requires it (the Sony NEX5n) but it's not worth using it just for that.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I was just experimenting with the HDMI, Steve and I didn't both to take it off.
    Which cable do you use for the 5D Mk III, btw?

Andy.