/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting To Heavy Lift CS8 - BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Isn't the Navi board responsible for AH functions? Is MKTool telling you anything? Seems you should be able to get a GPS fix inside, and just raise and lower the copter by 1 meter or 2 and watch the readings on both MK boards.

And did you do the little velcro mod that Andy recommends in his video? He strongly suggests covering the air pressure sensor on the FC with some velcro (or something similar) so that it is less susceptible to windy conditions. Worth looking it, although you probably know about that already.

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

The AH is part of the FC using the pressure sensor. All GPS functions work correctly though. I do have the foam/heat shrink mod done on the pressure sensor as recommended by Mikrokopter.

Josh

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The foam/heatshrink mod seems to be a good alternative -- you just want the ambient air to bleed in and out of the pressure sensor a little more slowly.

Going from memory, I think if there is a GPS board, the then code uses the GPS elevation data as part of the input for AH. I may be wrong.

Andy.

4. Jozsef Fekete

Jozsef Fekete New Member

Thank you, I will check it out!

5. Jozsef Fekete

Jozsef Fekete New Member

Dear Josh!
    Please help me out.
    I updating my cinestar,and a few things which I would like to ask from you.
    What kind of Disribution board did you use?Becouse you may not use the Mk board with the current BL CTRL.
    The MK flight controll is connected with Molex cable to the distro board.How did you connect the new board with the PWM converter and the flight controller?
    Thank You for reading.
    Jozsef

6. Philip Ellerbroek

Josh,

Surprised to hear this since watching your recent aerials on the wedding video. I thought it looked great.

Phil

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jozsef

There are several posts about building a power distribution system. I use a series of Dean's connectors. Photos of mine. There are also commercially available power boards, most rather inexpensive like the Afropower board from Abusemark.

For the I2C converter the molex is no longer used. Power comes to the board with a direct connection to your power distribution ring if you are running 4S. For 5S you need to upgrade the recoms/traco's on the FC. For 6S you would need to power from a BEC.

The only other connection would be for the buzzer since that is also done through the molex. The pads for that are also on the bottom of the FC board.

MK does make a small molex connector kit (Mini-4 Power Distribution) but I couldn't find one available other than overseas. Also looks bit fragile. Easier to simply solder directly to the FC.

8. Jozsef Fekete

Jozsef Fekete New Member

Dear Gary!

Thank you very much for the help!
    I will figure out the power board,and almost ready to start the upgrade project.

Jozsef

9. Josh Lambeth

Thanks Phil,
    I have been able to always get the shot I needed/wanted to get, however flying the copter has been a challenge since the upgrade.

The good news is... it was my FC! I swapped out the FC for one that I was using on the original setup and what a difference!!! The thing fly's great now! We just finished a 5 day shoot in San Diego with it and it flew very nicely. However, there is still the issue with the AH. It still launches straight up like a rocket when I flip the switch.

Jozsef,
    To connect the PWM converter you will be soldering a servo lead that you will cut one end off. You then solder the leads to the D, C, and Ground points on the FC then plug that into the D, C, and Ground port on the converter.

Josh

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh: Can you hook up MK Tool and see what kind of data readings you're getting from the air pressure sensor, please? I'm researching a theory that says if the pressure sensor gets wacky, it causes either a "head for the stratosphere" or "head for the center of the Earth" event.

Thanks
    Andy

11. Josh Lambeth

I will do that when I rebuild the copter today (just got back from a trip). When I attached the new FC I watched the scope with the pressue sensor and the gas only. The sensor seemed to be acting correctly when I was watching it (open a door and watch the pressure change and the gas change accordingly... and it wasn't a huge change either. My guess is there is something odd happening in the PWM converter process... Ill post a video today of it though.

Josh

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh and perhaps a screen shot of the Altiude tab in MKTool?

13. Josh Lambeth

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Prop mounting question for the 3515 type motors. Started to mount my props today and can't seem to get a good grip on them to hold them from turning while screwing on the nylon nut. How did you do it?

15. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I use a small towel wrapped around the motor and hold it in my hand if it is tight and wants to spin. With the last batch of nylons nuts and MT's I haven't really had a problem though...

16. Jozsef Fekete

Jozsef Fekete New Member

Thank You Josh for the help!

17. Viking Raja

Viking Raja New Member

Hi Josh,

Thanks for sharing.

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

So first flight of my rebuild with the MK FC and I2C-PWM converter. Stripped my CS8 down to only the FC board. New motors, 500mm booms and Xoar props. This is nice. Totally different prop sound than the APC SF's. Will start adding components tonight.

Just an FYI as I found out on my first test earlier today. I was getting a repeating 4 beeps after power up and had trouble sometimes getting the motors to start. Turns out that you need to totally disable Carefree mode, and it is on two different MKTool tabs. Otherwise you will get an FC 1:128 error which relates to Carefree.

19. Josh Lambeth

Nice Gary!

Did you have the Navi and GPS boards plugged into the FC? If not that is why you are getting that error. It's looking for those boards but can't find them so it's throwing that error out.

Josh

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh, no I ran it in the minimalist mode. Sounds like it caught you to at some point.