/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting an iPhone 12 Pro Max

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by AllenBirnbach, Dec 30, 2020.

1. AllenBirnbach

AllenBirnbach New Member

I've seen a thread about issues with the 11 Pro, so I'm wondering if anyone has had success mounting an iPhone 12 Pro Max on the Cinema Robot with Moment case and lenses and add-on VND filters.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Allen:
    I've just upgraded to an iPhone Pro Max, but haven't yet tried it on the Movi....but let us know what you find.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. AllenBirnbach

AllenBirnbach New Member

Hi Andy,

The phone fits in the clamp. However it will not balance with the stock version of the MCR; it can level, but the camera falls. I can only assume that things will change once I attach my Moment lens and filters. I guess I'll have to buy weights from Movi unless someone has a better suggestion. I did see that the gimbal is now listed as Discontinued on the website, which is strange because I traded emails with support last week and they said that it was still in the product line. I've also asked for what the weight limit is but have not heard back, short of an email saying that they are running behind on responding.

4. AllenBirnbach

AllenBirnbach New Member

My counterweights came in. The first thing is that they are different from the ones shown in the tutorial for using them, which is a bit concerning because I cannot get the camera to balance when the gimbal/camera are pointed down and the instructions are not relevant. The bottom of the camera falls,but if I slide the weights or add weight on top, it messes up the side to side balance in the upright position. Any suggestions?

5. Harry Young

Harry Young New Member

I, too, am interested to hear how balance can be properly achieved with a 12 pro max, moment wide, and a 62 or 67mm vnd filter. The counterweight on the now discontinued adjustable setup don't even come close. To add to this, would the weight of the weights plus the phone, case, lens, and filter be too much strain on the motors? Is it time to go with something bigger? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. Andrej Benja

Andrej Benja New Member

I got the 12 pro max, moment wide, moment thin case, filter adapter, gobe vnd 62mm (all around ~395g!) and counterweight xl (the new version with the most weights)
    have also the old counterweight (with all weights) in the dust.
    And with all weights attached no chance to get it balanced :(
    Its also a real slow and time consumin process to counterbalance it when changin lenses.
    Since its discontinued and no infos on any updates i thinkin to get rid of it and going with maybe the m2 (rated for 720g back motor design and "compact") :-/
    But i will follow the thread here maybe we find some solutions :)

edit:
    with the old counterweight holder it works to get it to balance bc there you can adjust the arms outward to shift the weight better what also means it takes really long to balance every setup (or in changes)
    edit2:
    but the new counterweights work on the old holder what also means little bit faster and no screw loosing haha
    edit3: ive got it relative balanced
    I used the old holder (damn you touching my thumb on roll operation) with the new weights could get more time to make it more "perfect". with regular or plus tuning the motor make some sounds on panning and rolling movements (fast response and smallest window) but just tested it fast here in my room.

Attached Files:

#6 Andrej Benja, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  7. Cullan Liang

Cullan Liang New Member

Have you been able to get it to work without it hitting your thumb on the roll?
    Also, I am contemplating in getting the XL weights to try, but not sure if it will be a waste of money. Is there no way to get it to work with the XL weight holder?