/dist/images/branding/favicon

FPV Transmitter cable wired incorrectly.

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Rick Gerard, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

Installed a Flysight Black Mamba TX5820 V2 Transmitter on my Alta this evening and things did not go very well until I compared the cables that came with the transmitter and the cable that came in my Alta bundle. The power leads were reversed. I checked the forums and the web to see if this was a common problem but did not find anyone else with the issue. It did not appear to be a common problem. Fortunately, the transmitter's power connector is idiot proof so nothing blew up.

Using some very small tools I was able to successfully remove the red and black wires and switch places. Now everything is perfect. It probably would be a good idea for the QC department to check the cables that are included with the Altas and make sure they are wired correctly. If anyone else has trouble mounting a transmitter I hope this helps them resolve the issue.

2. Chen Chien Hsing

Chen Chien Hsing New Member

Thanks for Rick Gerard !!!
    I have the same problem, the picture below is my Alta bundle cable.
    Fortunately, the transmitter's power connector is idiot proof so nothing blew up.

IMG_5805.jpeg

3. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

I had to do the same thing.

Wayne Mann

4. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

Alta fpv cables are wired for ImmersionRC vtx which is different that the Black Mamba so it is not a Freefly QC problem. As someone who has been flying fpv for almost 2 decades now, I would not recommend using a 1 watt vtx on a multi rotor. That is a lot of RF energy around the other electronics. You are far better off investing in high quality antennas for both the transmitter and receiver. And if penetration of the video signal is your problem then look to 1.3ghz or 900mhz band.

5. Rick Gerard

Mark, What TX and antenna combo would you recommend. I've gone through a bunch of antennas and FPV is still the weakest part of my setup. My little Mavic Pro delivers perfect video to my phone from insane distances. DJI's Inspire 2 is the same. Getting the video to the camera operator and the pilot shouldn't be that much of a problem. I would at least like to be able to see the heading info. Going to upgrade to Alta Pro soon and hopefully, that will be part of the upgrade.

6. Mark Hoffman

I fly with a 1.3 ghz 400 watt vtx on the bird and fly with these antennas vas-bluebeam-pro-1.3ghz-antenna
    If you fly in an urban area with lots of rf and steel structures 5.8ghz will generally have issues and flying any analogue system takes some experience to learn its limits and how to fly with them.

7. Rick Gerard

I think you mean 400 mW...
    I have not checked yet but I think 1.3 GHz radios require an amateur radio license.

8. Mark Hoffman

Most of the 5.8ghz radios also require a license if operated at higher than 25mw. and yes I did mean 400mw.

9. PJ Mozingo

PJ Mozingo Member

I just purchased this transmitter for my Alta 8 and was curious how you installed it. I’m replacing the stock FPV from Freefly and don’t want to wire it incorrectly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

10. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

There is a stock cable that comes from freefly. Its plug and play. there is more instructions in the manual also but its an easy job.

11. Adam HW

Adam HW New Member

Can anyone identify any of these cables - they came with an Alta 6 bundle but they're not labelled up so not sure what they should be used for?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      695.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      472.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      626.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      759.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      606.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      695.3 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_56452.jpg
      IMG_56452.jpg
      File size:
      209.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Jason Smoker

I know most of those cables are for FPV transmitters plug and play. The square is one goes into the back of the transmitter for a speaker I believe. The other one already coming out the alta is fpv plug. If you take the side cover off you can change them.

13. Adam HW

Adam HW New Member

Thanks Jason,

When you say change them, do you mean take the one already attached to the Alta out and put in a different one?

14. Jason Smoker

15. Adam HW

Adam HW New Member

Hi Jason

Thanks for this - I've used dual lock tape to mount the transmitter - is there a particular 'transmitter mount part' that I need to look out for?

Also, is it best to mount the futaba receivers in the close out panels and poke the wires/antenna through the holes or stick them to the outside of the close out panels?

thanks

Adam

Attached Files:

16. Jason Smoker

Adam,
    For the Futuba receivers its really personal choice. If you like to have quick look at the green light on the receiver to make sure your bind to the transmitter. Before take-off put it out-side. If you like a cleaner look put in inside with the antenna outside. You want to keep your antenna at 90 degrees to each other to get best results.

As for the mount fpv mount the official one is here
    https://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/alta/products/alta-fpv-mount
    but use what ever works for you.