/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI Pro green LED turns on but screen does not after firmware update fail

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ryan Schultz, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Ryan Schultz

Ryan Schultz New Member

Hey guys,

I found some similar posts but no solutions on the forum, I have an inquiry out to support but wanted to post in the event someone has an answer. Been working with MōVI Pros for a long time but haven't run into this one.

I just purchased a MōVI Pro from a friend that is brand new. Upon attempting to update the firmware to the Blackjack firmware, the update failed part of the way through and the MōVI is no longer fully responsive. When powered on, the green LED lights up, but the screen does not turn on and the MōVI does not activate.

It is recognized by the app, but the app will not connect to it. I tried updating the Bluetooth via the microSD card and discovered the microSD card is actually dead. I took the microSD card from the Mimic, and used it to update the bluetooth on the MōVI Pro. I thought it might help at least connect it to the app, but it did not even though the bluetooth update via microSD card was successful.

So now every time I boot the MōVI, the green LED comes on, but the screen does not, no matter what I do. I can also not power off the MōVI unless I remove the batteries.

I am running iOS 12.4.1 on my iPhone 8 and tried connecting to the MōVI via both the Beta MōVI app and regular MōVI Pro app.

Thanks in advance!

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Well, you seem to have tried everything I would have suggested. There is probably some special handshake that can re-set things.

I'm also going to post an old TSU Hot Fix that Support may hate me for posting, but it includes holding down the power button while one battery is attached and some software is on the Micro SD card that you want to install. I wouldn't try installing Blackjack, but maybe an older firmware.

I would say try this at your own peril... but Halloween is around the corner and maybe you're in the mood for some spookiness. Or just wait until tomorrow morning for the guys at support to return your email?

Attached Files:

3. Graham Futerfas

Did you try booting without the Micro SD card in it at all?

4. Ryan Schultz

Ryan Schultz New Member

Hmmm very interesting...I was wondering if something like this existed. The question is, where can I download the actual firmware versions? As far as I can tell by scanning the interwebs you can only do that through the app. I would be inerested in trying this though if I had a downloadable version of the firmware.

I also just found this note at the bottom of their firmware update page:

*If you are using an iOS device and the app disconnects before the update can complete, you need to update the Bluetooth firmware on your hardware, before regular firmware updates can be completed. This is a simple task and is explained in detail here.

Kind of useless because I actually already tried this and it didn't seem to fix anything, so I wonder if that's what I'll get back from customer service.

And to answer your question, yes I did try booting without the microSD card and got the same result, green LED but nothing on the screen.

5. Graham Futerfas

What firmware were you on before trying to update? I found that people sometimes needed to update first to one of the later 1.x firmwares before going to from a lower firmware, partly for the Bluetooth update.

6. Ryan Schultz

Ryan Schultz New Member

I'm not 100% sure because I literally just got this thing. The guy I bought it from had it sitting brand new in box for over a year. He had pulled it out once for a location scout or something, so I know the firmware was pretty old. Do you know of anywhere online I could get my hands on a downloadable version of something prior to v2.0?