/dist/images/branding/favicon

IPhone 8 will not stabilize HELP

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Jenny Lee, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Jenny Lee

Jenny Lee New Member

I have an iPhone 8 and purchased the Robot bc the Amazon listing said it worked with my phone. It will not balance - period. I’ve adjusted every way I know how. When powered on, the motor attempts, but basically goes limp. I tried a friends’ iPhone X and it balanced right away. Maybe not perfectly, but it magically did as all the videos I watched indicated it would. Is there a magic setting I’m not aware of? Any ideas how to balance it? Thanks.

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi,

If people aren’t rushing to respond, it’s because this is odd with no obvious explanation.

If I understand correctly, you’ve watched Freefly’s videos on balancing, and perhaps others, and you were able to balance an iPhone X on your Movi Cinema Robot. If you can balance a X, there is no reason why there should be a problem with an iPhone 8, or for that matter an iPhone 8 Plus. If your phone is in a case, maybe try removing it. I assume that you don’t have a third party lens on the phone, which would indeed cause an issue that probably requires counterweights to rectify. If you do have an add-on lens on the phone, you should find that the phone balances easily if you remove the lens.

3. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

If you watch the videos you will see, and I apologize if you are already doing it...but you balance the phone with the Movi off. It should be balanced with the Movi turned off in order to get the best from the stabilizing motors.

4. Jenny Lee

Jenny Lee New Member

Thank you for responding, but yes I am balancing with it off. The 8 will not balance. The 10 will.

5. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

That is so weird that you should maybe contact Freefly support.

#5 Rorick Edge, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  6. Kevin P Riley

can you send us a pic of what it looks like when you try?

Rorick Edge likes this.
  7. Kevin P Riley

I have an iPhone 6 laying around and was able to balance it pretty quickly, although it rolls over the top. Not so much the motors can’t handle it though.

uou can see in the pic where it sits in the clamp to balance. Might give you a starting point with the 8.

Attached Files:

8. Kevin P Riley

Hmmm the photo uploaded upside down.

9. Jenny Lee

Jenny Lee New Member

I thought it was odd too. I thought maybe I had misunderstood the specifications so I went back to the advertisement to confirm it was supposed to work with the 8. I removed my case and I do not have any sort of lense or other attachment. The closest I can get to balance with the 8 is the phone is slightly unlevel and tilted forward. As soon as I turn on the Movi, it flips back then forward and almost vertical. Thanks for responding.

10. Kevin P Riley

that’s probably the best your going to get without a counterweight. You say it goes almost vertical, does it stay that way? Or does it go to level? Do you have roll and tilt locked?

11. Jenny Lee

Jenny Lee New Member

I didn’t even know there was a thing called roll and tilt lock - sorry I’m a super newbie with this. I found that and saw that roll was locked. But I couldn’t unlock it! There was a firmware update, so I did that so I could take a breather (have literally been sliding this phone nanometers to the left and right to see what would happen). After the update, I could unlock both. I found the magic spot and it leveled! Thank you so much for sticking with me! Things are looking up!

Kevin P Riley and Rorick Edge like this.