/dist/images/branding/favicon

A revolution or fake news? iPhone 11 pro and mobile film making

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Bronks, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

I thought the iPhone 11 Pro slid to the left seemed secure. It's still in contact with almost all of the clamp.

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

The distortion is pretty bad, at least compared to the moment add on lens or even the anamorphic lens. In addition the lens is soft, and for as much as they tried for consistency I feel like it lacks contrast as compared to the normal and telephoto lens.

3. Kevin P Riley

min mine as you can see a little less than half of the clamp is in contact with the phone. This also makes it difficult the get the phone level. While it seems fairly secure...I wouldn’t want to run with it, or use it anywhere where there may be a sudden bump.

4. Kevin P Riley

“Since the new iPhone 11 only needs to be slid over to the left, I can imagine only needing a weighted iPhone "case" with a Jay Leno chin offsetting the need to have the phone that far over to support the superwide. Or maybe a very small purpose built counterweight that screws into the 2 holes.”

I really like this idea, but to be honest, who is gonna do this? No one would make money off of this, so they won’t do it. Maybe some industrious kid with a 3D printer.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  5. Stephen Hart

Hmm. Remember that the Moment lens is, what, 18 mm, not 13. Any wide angle will have distortion, and 13 is very wide.
    Not sure what you mean by "soft." I haven't noticed this, but will do some checking.
    I took three photos of our living room in plenty of daylight, and they look remarkably like the same scene, lit the same way at three different zoom levels. Of course, as you close in with the "tele" lens, you're capturing a different lighting situation.

Furthermore, I'll fall back on the old saw "The best camera is the camera you have." I certainly wouldn't go around with a Moment lens and case and iPhone in my pocket. I'd also like to see someone compare an 18 mm setting on the iPhone 11 Pro to, say, an iPhone Xs with a Moment Wide.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Stephen Hart

Here's a similar answer to your question, from Daring Fireball:

"I’m finding Portrait Mode with the 1x focal length to be a lot of fun. The 2x lens is better for capturing a flattering photo of a person willing to pose for you, but the 1x lens is better for small objects and pets."

https://daringfireball.net/2019/09/the_iphone_11_and_iphones_11_pro

Rorick Edge likes this.
  7. Peter Hardingham

Peter Hardingham New Member

I got the 11 Pro Max last weekend....really disappointing to have the ultra wide, no stabilisation to worry about conflict, and no way (currently) to use it with the MCR.

I backed a kickstarter project for the Zhiyun Smooth-Q2 which may be a better option now, but I'm also hoping Freefly come up with a fix...I really like the way MCR handles.

8. Stephen Hart

"hoping Freefly come up with a fix...I really like the way MCR handles"

It seems at least possible to engineer a replacement clamp. It looks like just four screws hold the clamp on. Or the MCR2 could be designed around a different clamp and/or clamp placement. Maybe Freefly could institute a trade-in policy like Apple's.

On the other hand, chasing every possible cell phone camera could be really difficult. How's the Movi going to handle a folding cell phone?

9. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

The 11 Pro Max 13mm lens works with the MCR if you use MCR counterweights. The phone is sufficiently secure in the cradle.

See posts 18 and 31 in this thread, which describe how I set up my 11 Pro Max with the MCR: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...r-freefly-re-the-mcr-the-new-iphone-11.13280/

#69 Rorick Edge, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  10. Rorick Edge

That may be, but if Freefly wants Apple to continue selling the MCR this problem has to be fixed for Apple phones. I can’t imagine why Apple would sell this device if one has to jump through hoops/buy a “fix” to use it with an iPhone 11.

Meanwhile, as existing MCR customers all we’ve got from Freefly, 13 days after the iPhone 11 launch, is silence. Not even “we know that there’s a problem and we’re working on it”.

#70 Rorick Edge, Sep 23, 2019
  11. Rorick Edge

#71 Rorick Edge, Sep 23, 2019
  12. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

It has been covered already: Freefly Staff does not actively monitor this forum. This forum is a place for users to discuss things amongst themselves. If you have questions for the our staff, you know where to go: https://freeflysystems.com/support

Admittedly, we have been a little distracted, with this.

I get that this is a hot topic. Apple didn't check with us to see how it would affect our customers, nor did they provide us early release phones to test with. We haven't done any official testing yet (we don't even have the phones yet), and we don't make announcements based on speculation. It is pretty clear at this point, from user feedback that you will see the Movi in frame with the 13mm lens. As someone astutely pointed out, you have the same function with the Movi on an an 11 Pro as you do with iPhone XS and it doesn't block anyone from using the Movi exactly the way they were using it on Sept. 19th.

Stay tuned to the Movi Compatibility Page for more information, or feel free to reach out and ask us for support.

Brent McDowell likes this.
  13. Stephen Hart

Here's a concept, and only a concept, of a way to mount an iPhone 11 Pro to the Movi CR and both balance it and get the 13mm lens far enough to the left to avoid the Movi motor. I didn't take the time to make a more appropriate and adjustable counterweight.

https://eugraph.com/misc/11promount.html

14. Kevin P Riley

I think that’s the idea, maybe someone will come up with something a bit more polished and consistent.

15. Rorick Edge

I’m just surprised that it’s necessary to move the 11 Pro that far to the left. I’m not finding that the Pro Max has to be that far left. The only physical difference between the two, apart from 14mm (0.55”) in length, is that the Pro Max is 6.4mm (0.25”) wider/taller in the cradle.

Like some others have said, I’m checking out the Osmo Mobile 3. I’m local to B&H and they have one on display and are getting them in regularly. I’m not impressed with how Freefly is handling this.

I’m also thinking about dispensing with a gimbal altogether, as Matteo Bertoli did for this iPhone 11 Pro Max video, or using one only rarely (see Bertoli’s description re the iPhone 11 and gimbals):

EDIT: See also Matti Haapoja‘s video, post #80 below.

#75 Rorick Edge, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  16. Stephen Hart

The 11 Pro Max is also heavier, and could have more weight near its bottom. The camera unit appears to be identical and in the same location in the top-right corner.
    Maybe we're balancing differently or judging when the motor is out of view differently.

BTW, Amazon carries a number of inexpensive gimbal counterweight sets, including from Moment, in case anyone wants to experiment.

John Chu likes this.
  17. Rorick Edge

Do you have to be that far left to keep the gimbal out of view or are you that far left because you need to be to balance the phone with your DIY counterweight?

I mounted the phone as close to the right edge of the cradle as possible without the Movi being in view and balanced from there. The weight of the phone Is not an issue with the standard counterweights. That only affects how you adjust the weights.

18. Stephen Hart

I've added some photos of what I did to test, balancing with the Movi turned off, then moving left in half-inch increments until the Movi motor is just out of sight.
    In this sequence, there are no weights involved, I just held the phone horizontal.
    After more experimentation with various weights I had, I think making the plexiglass shorter to keep its right end out of the way and using the standard Movi weights would be best.
    Of course, instead of strapping on a piece of plexiglass, one could extend a snap-on case.

https://eugraph.com/misc/11promount.html

Rorick Edge likes this.
  19. Rorick Edge

Thanks, I looked at your photos. The Pro Max doesn’t need to be anywhere near that far left. The 0.55” longer length wouldn’t seem to explain this. Maybe the 0.25” extra height in the cradle is part of the reason, but I don’t know.

You’ll have to cut your Plexiglass so that the right edge just abuts the Movi counterweight holder, which is effectively a barrier for how far right you can place the Plexiglass.

#79 Rorick Edge, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  20. Rorick Edge

Matti Haapoja shooting without a gimbal on the iPhone 11 Pro (first 01:20, then his review). He loves the 13mm lens. Comments on using the camera without a gimbal: 06:40.

See also Matteo Bertoli’s video, linked in post #75.

#80 Rorick Edge, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019