/dist/images/branding/favicon

A revolution or fake news? iPhone 11 pro and mobile film making

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Bronks, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

FWIW, here are some links relevant to this discussion:

"iPhone 11 Pro – Four Cameras with 4K 60fps Recording"

https://www.cinema5d.com/how-good-is-the-camera-in-iphone-11-apple-event-youtube-livestream/

"This is a professional filmmaker's smartphone camera..."

https://nofilmschool.com/iphone11pro-mobile-filmmakers-get-cinema-camera

And here's the Filmic Pro presentation at the iPhone 11 introduction. They emphasize recording from two cameras simultaneously. I didn't notice any mention of recording from more than two, but I may have missed it.

2. Stephen Hart

This video provides a pretty good image of the iPhone in a Movi CR at about 20 seconds in. It looks like it's in the normal position I'd use for my iPhone Xs, and I can't see any counterweights.

3. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

See Rick Bronks’s posts on this earlier in the thread.

4. Peter Hardingham

Peter Hardingham New Member

I've picking up the 11 Pro Max next weekend, really looking forward to using it with the Movi CR.

With my current XS max I never had a problem with stabilisation, once I started filming in 4k 60fps.

I don't expect the super wide lens to be a problem either (in terms of seeing the Movi CR in the shot). I have a Shure MV88 connected with a USB cable, which adds to the distance needed to push the iPhone to the left in the cradle, so this should remove it as a potential issue.

I'll post next week as soon as I get a chance to shoot.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  5. Stephen Hart

This may belong in a different thread, but how are you attaching the MV88? I made a diy mount for the MV88, but haven't actually used it.

6. Peter Hardingham

Superglue is your friend :)

Attached Files:

7. Stephen Hart

8. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Great location--- but did you really use Superglue?

In my many frustrating experiences with superglue-crazy glue-- it causes plastic to become brittle or turn white. My recommendation is something like 3M VHB Tape (they use it for automotive trim) or 3M Dual Lock Tape (heavy duty velcro). Sugru (moldable rubber) might be an option too.

9. Jason Fish

Jason Fish New Member

John Chu likes this.
  10. Peter Hardingham

Yep I used superglue, precisely because I did not want to have to attach more bits of kit to the Movi CR.

It did not turn the the plastic white, has not become brittle, has been attached that way for about a year and survived every kind of weather thrown at it.

I've got Sugru and considered that, but I wanted a very tight seal between the mic and the Movi, which superglue provided (it really looks as if the Shure mic was always a part of the gimbal).

John Chu likes this.
  11. Stephen Hart

"It did not turn the the plastic white, has not become brittle, has been attached that way for about a year and survived every kind of weather thrown at it."

There are special super glue activators for plastic, if needed. The issue is that super glue is normally water vapor activated.

Well, if you never anticipate having to separate the two devices, I guess that's one way to go.
    And I thought I was being bold by painting in the center lines with white.

12. Rorick Edge

To me, that’s the problem with using super glue. It locks you into whatever device you attach to the MCR for the life of the MCR.

13. Rorick Edge

Hi Peter,

I’m looking forward to your observations on balancing the phone and clearance for the 13mm lens.

Apple is claiming improved stabilisation. If you’re inclined to check, I’m curious to know how good the stabilisation is without the MCR and whether there is any conflict between the phone’s stabilisation and the MCR’s. If there is conflict, does it apply to all three lenses? As I understand it, the 26mm and 52mm lenses are stabilised, but not the 13mm lens.

Cheers

#33 Rorick Edge, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  14. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

I preordered the 11 pro I don’t like the form factor of the larger phones, so I will weigh in with that after it gets here Friday.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  15. Rorick Edge

Wonderful, so we’ll get observations on both the Pro and the Pro Max. Unless I’m missing something, the Pro won’t need any counterweights, which to my mind is attractive, although I’d like to try one of the larger phones.

#35 Rorick Edge, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  16. Rorick Edge

Andy To has uploaded a video made with the iPhone 11 Pro:

And The Verge (Nilay Patel/Becca Farsace) tests the cameras (starting at 02:30, video test from 07:25):

#36 Rorick Edge, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  17. Rorick Edge

Jonathan Morrison: singer and pianist recorded with an 11 Pro Max 26mm lens and an 11 Pro front camera. Audio recording details in the video description:

#37 Rorick Edge, Sep 17, 2019
  18. Rorick Edge

The Wall Street Journal shows a sense of humour. Fun, informative video shot at the New York Renaissance Fair. Several good photo examples, video examples at the beginning and near the end:

19. Stephen Hart

FWIW, an extensive, positive review from DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8...s-much-more-than-apple-catching-up-to-android

I read it in Apple News, a more friendly format than a browser.
    https://apple.news/AtqAdvyY3OLisa_HYcdTjaw

Note that Apple has already announced some software tweaks coming "pretty soon now." I expect there'll be more in the future. Apple is really blurring the lines between videography, still photography and post processing (all happening at once), and that presumably gives a lot of power to app developers too.

I was interested to see that the two-camera (front facing) iPhone 11 has the 13mm camera, but no 52mm. So if that wide angle is what you're after, you could get it at a lower price. (I use the 52mm a lot on my iPhone Xs, and like Kevin Riley I prefer the smaller size, so I have an 11 pro coming Friday.)

Rorick Edge likes this.
  20. Rorick Edge

Hi Stephen,

In what cases do you find that the 26mm doesn’t work for you but the 52mm does?

Is it mostly a matter of not having to move closer to the subject? Is there a significant difference between how the 26mm and the 52mm render faces? Other reasons?

Thanks

#40 Rorick Edge, Sep 17, 2019