/dist/images/branding/favicon

Firmware updates / Filmic Pro control... WHEN???

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Simon Hughes, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

Poor old MCR... months now (bought mine in July) and we still have rudimentary control, no tracking, no button customization (who the fuck needs a button to toggle the selfie cam???), and seemingly no SDK for other apps (Filmic Pro, Moment, ProCamera) to integrate and make use of the device.

All of the above have been promised since product release, but to date, nothing essentially new, although finally, finally the damn thing can get itself level. I'm pretty sure that most purchasers bought this gimbal based on the promise of what it would do. Come on, Freefly, throw us a bone.

#1 Simon Hughes, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Simon: Yeah, I hear ya loud and clear. I checked with FF directly (I'm just a volunteer admin) and the word is (a) the applications programming interface ("API") for the MCR was sent to FiLMiC back in September 2018, and (b) although there are no external signs (there never are), the development guys are working hard to get the expanded camera features. No release date yet, though....at least not one that I know.

But as far as FiLMiC is concerned, I'm not privy to any of their development schedules I'm afraid and beyond releasing the API, I don't believe that Freefly is involved.

Aiee....this really is a bit of a non-answer to your questions, isn't it? But it's all I got. :)
    Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Pavel Houda and John Chu like this.
  3. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

I queried FiLMiC Pro about integration with the CBR and got this reply:

"Thanks very much for your interest. As soon as time and resources allow, we will be investigating the possibility of integrating FILMiC Pro with the Freefly Movi Cinema Robot. I'm afraid I don't have an ETA as to when this will be, but rest assured that it is on our roadmap."

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but it sounds a bit like "thoughts and prayers".

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmmm. That's not very promising is it? But thanks for going to the trouble of contacting them and posting the response.

Cheers,
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. viktor manshtein

viktor manshtein New Member

For me, it's a disaster. I thought it would be all right. Now all hopes are lost ((((

6. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

What about the guys at Mavis app? They were meant to be working on something and in many ways it’s a better app than filmic.

John Chu likes this.
  7. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

Not familiar with this, Rick, nor could I find it by searching for "mavis" in the app store. Can you provide any more info, mate?

8. Rick Bronks

9. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

Ah, got it by searching for the developer name. Nothing shows for any kind of gimbal support unfortunately.

If indeed the CBR is not completely abandoned as a product, it sure is on the lowest possible rung of their development/support roadmap. I deeply regret buying it at this point.

10. Rick Bronks

I've just posted my thoughts about this - but in terms of the Mavis app I did speak to the developer and they were very open to integrating things like Filmic do.

I am not deluded by the smoke and mirrors of Filmic - it's a good app but they are a little blinded by their own success. Much of their offering is all PR speak but they have cornered the market and for FF to miss the opportunity to have integration with their app is cutting them out from a much bigger potential audience for the product - which I do want to love but it's just becoming a door stop whilst other products take it's place - for less money and with more features.

Pavel Houda and John Chu like this.
  11. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I must be missing something. Freefly made the API publicly available, so I'd think that there is nothing holding either Filmic or Mavic or any of the other video capture apps from integrating with the MCR. I have other issues with Freefly, but none of these apps support shouldn't be needing anything, except if the API is incomplete or buggy. I think that there are existent partnerships and the associated politics to blame.

12. Rick Bronks

Then why has it been so silent from the FF side? They are being washed aside by the competition.
    At the end of the day - if there's a product that wont be cost effective to make because no one is buying it then it wont be sold anymore. Simple.
    FF have to do something to sell this product and I can't see any buzz about this product anymore.

John Chu likes this.