/dist/images/branding/favicon

Any Updates on MCR use w/ XS MAX/Moment Wide & Moment Case

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Curtis Brickley, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Curtis Brickley

Curtis Brickley New Member

The only way I've been able to balance is utilizing all 3 counter-weights (Sm, Med & Lrg). However, the noise is unbearable and the counter-weights can interfere with vertical axis. Is anyone actually using this configuration successfully!?!

2. Marc Smith

Marc Smith New Member

I have the iPhone XS and moment wide with the case. I use a large on top and large and small on the bottom. I set my tune to “plus”.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  3. Curtis Brickley

Thanks Marc. Do you have the XS or XS MAX?

4. Marc Smith

Marc Smith New Member

Xs. But I guess is a bit heavier than the x. In freeflys how to video the balance the iPhone X with only the large weights.
    I also used the large/med combo on the upper and lowers but felt it was too cumbersome. I was hoping to just get away with only using the large ones, but it didn’t work out.

5. Curtis Brickley

There's a 30g weight diff b/w the XS and the XS Max. To balance my Max, I've had to use all three weights (Sm, Med and Large) but the pan axis is off and since the small weights are already in use, I'm stuck. Thanks...

6. Marc Smith

Marc Smith New Member

I’m pretty sure u can order more weights to dial it in.

7. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

8. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I just got the Moment Wide for my iPhone Xs Max in the Moment Case on the MCR, and I really had no problem balancing the whole thing with the counter-weights supplied. The large and medium for roll/tilt and the two small on the pan axis. The "Tuned" setting was hit/miss but the "Plus" setting worked ok. Generally the tilt servo struggled in extreme angles. As soon as I added the filter adapter and the filter, I had to use all three counter-weights on the roll/tilt, so I rigged some washers for the pan axis for now. I am planning to use some 20mm OD stainless "fender" washers and 3mm screws as a temporary solution. Eventually I will get another counterweight kit, and solve the small counterweight problem plus have quick change arrangement for different lens, so I can just screw the main counterweight in, instead of re-balancing. That way I get the extra small counterweight, assuming that the other lens doesn't need all three on the side. As far as the servos - the same story, "Plus" setting works all the time, "Tuned" doesn't supply enough torque to the tilt servo. I show some photos here: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...ng-the-mcr-with-moment-lens-and-filter.12981/.

#8 Pavel Houda, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  9. viktor manshtein

viktor manshtein New Member

I'm waiting for the Breakthrough Photography 62mm X2 ND 0.9 filter, It is noticeably lighter than other filters, but superb in quality. Does not change color at all.
    I hope it is possible to balance with him without additional cargo.

#9 viktor manshtein, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Pavel Houda likes this.
  10. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Hello Victor,
    Welcome to the forum! First I have to apologize, that I can't reply in Russian (or Ukrainian for that matter). I am originally from Czechoslovakia, and even though I used to speak Russian quite well, I am extremely rusty (heck, am clumsy even with Czech), because I live in the USA 50 years (later this month). I do understand what you've said, however.

The need for additional weights would depend greatly on the phone you use. As you well know, smaller (shorter hight of the phone in portrait position) will produce less of a momentum of inertia in the Movi, so it then requires smaller mass to counterbalance. If you have, for example, iPhone X (Xs), it would take bit less to counter-balance than my iPhone XS Max. If you have iPhone Xs Max in Moment Case with their wide lens, filter adapter and filter, I don't see how you could do it without using all three counterweights from the Movi kit for the tilt and roll (right side), and then need MORE mass on the pan arm. Like I mentioned previously, the 20g small counterweights wouldn't be enough anyway, to achieve proper pan axis balance. At those masses the servos are suffering already, specially if they get a jolt. Like one of their videos mention already " balanced gimbal is a happy gimbal". I built my additional counterweights from stainless "fender" (big washer, small hole) washers and hold it down with a 3mm screws. I also added one small 3mm washer on each side, because the counter-weight doesn't allow for easy turning of the capture screw, the knurled head rubs against the washers. Total mass on each side ended up to be 37.4 gram. Then I achieved balance.

I wish you well, and hope that you receive your filter soon.

Attached Files:

#10 Pavel Houda, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    viktor manshtein likes this.
  11. viktor manshtein

viktor manshtein New Member

Hi Pavel,
    Thanks for the answer and kind words!
    I used to be in Prague often, I have many friends there, but I never learned Czech, although I understand perfectly well. But modern technologies allow us to communicate without knowing the language, thanks to them for that)))
    I purchased Moment Anamorphic Lens, along with weights for balance, I have to get it in two weeks. I haven't bought a case for iPhone XS Max yet. I want to purchase this one: https://hellonomad.com/collections/whatsnew/products/rugged-case-rustic-brown-moment-xs
    for XS Max they should be available this month. I hope with the help of your advice with washers I will manage to balance all this and enjoy shooting)
    Thanks for the kind words
    Viktor

Pavel Houda likes this.
  12. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

It sounds like you will have very powerful and elegant rig. Please let me know how things work out for you.

viktor manshtein likes this.
  13. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

I have tested this and came to this verified conclusion, I have the iPhone XS and the moment iPhone X case. Im able to balance this with the moment wide and using the large counterweights in the exact way that Tab demonstrates. But if you have the new Moment case specifically for iPhone XS as described on the Moment site, this case is a little heavier and thicker and you will not be able to balance the pan axis by holding the phone flat as Tab showed in the video. No matter what you do, Ive tried all weight configurations. The new Moment case just won't allow this to happen. I just used my original Moment case. Moment recommends using the new case for the XS because of slightly raised camera, but I've seen no difference in image quality in comparison.