/dist/images/branding/favicon

Galaxy S9 - gimbal shows significantly in video

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Justin Schnepf, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Justin Schnepf

Justin Schnepf New Member

I am using the movi cinema robot with my galaxy s9 and am dealing with an annoyance. I balance my phone prior to turning on the movi as required. But since the camera on my phone is located lower on my phone than on the iPhones, I end up seeing a lot of the gimbal motor in the frame of my shot. The only thing I can think would fix this is by shelling out the $$$ for the counterweight system so I can shift my phone further to the left away from the gimbal.

Is anyone else using the GS9 and having the same problem? How were you able to resolve this?

#1 Justin Schnepf, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. SM Stewart

SM Stewart New Member

Justin Schnepf likes this.
  3. Justin Schnepf

I didn't even realize they had compiled a table of compatibility. Thanks for that. Now with regards to my initial post on the price of the counterweight... I did end up ordering one and I have to say, it is much higher quality than I was expecting. I initially thought the counterweight frame was just plastic before I got it in the mail. It is actually machined aluminum that is anodized black. Very high quality and it justifies the high price.

#3 Justin Schnepf, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    michael cahn likes this.
  4. Austin Van Gilder

Austin Van Gilder New Member

Were you able to get your S9 to balance properly using the counterweight system? I had the same problem as you initially - seeing the gimbal in the frame.

I can't get the weights to balance properly after watching their videos, etc.

5. Justin Schnepf

Yes, I was. It balances best if I take the case off of my phone. I don't push the phone all of the ways in where it stops at the counterweight attachment. I keep it slightly away from that and it balances perfectly. I'll respond later today with a photo of my setup.

#5 Justin Schnepf, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Austin Van Gilder likes this.
  6. Austin Van Gilder

Awesome, thank you! That'd help a ton!

7. Justin Schnepf

Here is my setup. I use the medium size weights and push them in until they pretty much flush with the aluminum clamp. As you can see, the movi is completely shut off and the phone is perfectly balanced. quicksquare_201911519512938.jpg quicksquare_201911519510798.jpg quicksquare_201911519512773.jpg quicksquare_201911519510798.jpg

Austin Van Gilder likes this.
  8. Austin Van Gilder

So I contacted Movi Support at the same time I posted here. They suggested not even using the counterweight mount system since I'm not using an external lens and only use a single (small)!!!

This is why on the compatibility chart, it references just the weight set for the S9 and not the whole counterweight mount system... I'm pretty frustrated that I spent the extra $$ on the whole system when it wasn't needed and instructions were unclear how to use them with the S9... Arguably one of the most popular android devices.

Anyway, I hope this helps you too. This seems to work just fine and no extra bulk with the mount system. I don't see the movi in the panning shots and it's stable. In the picture, mine is in sleep mode and balanced.

OI000212.jpg OI000213.jpg

#8 Austin Van Gilder, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  9. Austin Van Gilder

They also said I don't have to worry about the "Tilt" balance and only the "roll" balance will matter so I don't need to use the pan counterweight either o_O

10. Michael Silbergleid

Michael Silbergleid New Member

This looks like the Small Weights (20g)...is that correct?