/dist/images/branding/favicon

Readyrig - Normal version v Pro Arms version?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by tom J. kelly, Jan 7, 2019.

1. tom J. kelly

tom J. kelly New Member

Hi,

Because of stock levels at my local reseller I can get the Pro Arms version of the Readyrig for a reduced price of only £300-£350 over the normal price. I was not planning on getting the Pro Arms version as I have never thought they looked useful enough to justify the extra expense over the normal version. However now that extra amount is effectively halved it makes it a more difficult decision. Can anyone advise me who has used both set ups so I can get more of an idea of the benefits or lack of?

FYI - Plan to use Readyrig in 2 different sweet ups
    1. Movi Pro & Red Gemini
    2. Gemini handheld with Readyrig 1 arm configuration.

Many thanks

Tom

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I started with Ready Rig before Pro Arms existed, then I upgraded. Yes, they're definitely worth it. If you plan to do a lot of work with your Ready Rig, I suggest spending the money now. If you ever decide to sell it later, it will help the resale value.

I use the extended arms to get shots that are higher or lower than normal. I don't extend the arms unless I have to, though, since it puts more strain on your lower back because you're pushing the weight of the gimbal farther away from your body.

The Pro Arms when fully retracted are the same length as the regular arms. I don't use the monitor mount holes on the Pro Arms.

I've never used it like an Easy Rig for handheld operation, but I've heard of people doing it.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the Cinemilled Spindles for it. They make a huge difference by moving the center of gravity point of the connection straps and making operating much easier. I had tried the Ready Rig\DJI Spindles when I bought my R2, but the ones I got were defective and kept slipping apart suddenly (which is dangerous!), so I bought a 2nd pair of Cinemilled's version. I heard rumor that Cinemilled may have a new Spindle version coming soon, but you never know. Their current ones are great.

Any other questions?

Peter Keith likes this.
  3. tom J. kelly

tom J. kelly New Member

So before the option of the proarms became available did you feel you were limited in certain shots using the ready rig?

4. Graham Futerfas

The Ready Rig still has limitations, and I still say that not every shot should be done with the Ready Rig. You need to learn when to use it and when to go without. For some of those shots I couldn't do with the vest, I'd just take the vest off and do with just my body.

5. tom J. kelly

tom J. kelly New Member

Thanks Graham , but I was more talking about before the Pro Arms came out. How limiting is the device with original arms? I think im going to get the Pro Arms version any how because using a 1 arm configuration, having the extra weight capacity on each arm will probably be important.

6. Graham Futerfas

I use the extendable arms maybe 10% of the time, so maybe the original arms are 10% more limiting? It's hard to quantify, and it's hard to miss something that you don't know exists. It's a perfectly functional device with either set of arms.

One additional note, because I operate both: The Movi is a pretty compact gimbal, but if you ever work with a Ronin 2, the extendable arms would be even more important, because the gimbal\camera can be longer front-to-back. I'm not sure if that's an important factor for your single-arm-handheld use.

7. tom J. kelly

tom J. kelly New Member

Thanks Graham, I know what you mean. We always learn to get by with what we have.

8. Matt Beardsley

I've got a Ready Rig with Pro Arms (and am also using Movi Pro with Gemini) and completely second Graham's thoughts. the Pro Arms are definitely worth the upgrade. It gives more reach for low shots or shots that need a little vertical change during a move – plus they can make balancing the rig's tension quicker (they are easier to slide in and out than the shoulder mount points). Also, like Graham said, I think Cinemilled Spindles are mandatory kit for the Ready Rig!