/dist/images/branding/favicon

MCR + GoPro Hero 4

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by John Adam Asuncion, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Yea It should be a fair bit easier with the RX0 since it can be closer to the clamp and not as far forward. Overall I'm happy with this setup, though when I get some time I'm planning to design an adapter and get it printed.

2. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Video finished processing...

Barrel roll 4k 60fps

Majestic Mode 4k 4:3 30fps

#22 Steve Huether, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Rorick Edge likes this.
  3. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Steve,

Do you know how much your PGYTech adapter weighs? Also, is the horizontal placement of the band that holds the GoPro to the adapter adjustable? I ask because the RX0 lens is centred rather than offset like a GoPro lens. If the position of the band isn’t adjustable, it looks like it would go over the middle of the RX0 lens :) I suppose that one could use elastic bands or gaffer tape instead.

My counterweight will apparently arrive tomorrow.

I’m going to try a few options for the RX0:

1. Use the Movi backwards, mount the RX0 in the clamp, and mount an iPhone on the Hoodie to view the RX0 screen on Sony’s PlayMemories app.

2. Use the Movi frontwards, mount an iPhone case, with a cutout for the RX0 lens, in the clamp, and attach the RX0 to the case. Similarly, one could probably use a rectangular piece of acrylic sized to fit in the clamp.

3. Purchase an adapter like yours and mount accordingly.

Option 2 may make sense depending on the weight of the plastic relative to a metal adapter.

I like option 1, but I know that the Movi expects weight toward where the lens is on an iPhone (i.e. facing the Movi in the standard operator position, weight to the left of the clamp), which this option does not provide.

#23 Rorick Edge, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I'm not sure exactly, the original was 124g but I had do cut off a chunk on the one end to get the clamp to close properly. I'd guess 100g or so now.

On this one, the band is not adjustable. Something like this would be even better for your needs :
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IFl...iyun-SMOOTH-Q-3-Feiyu-G4-PRO/32850047225.html
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/PULUZ-Adapter-Accessories-Aluminum-Handheld/dp/B077TSDS1S

With the counterweights, it should be possible to balance some pretty weird contraptions but I think you're right about the backwards facing use. It'll work, but probably burn batteries faster because the motors are working more. I think the best bet would be one of the RX0 specific adapters and forward facing mount with counter weights setup.

2 is an idea I was considering for my gopro as well. Simple piece of acrylic with a 1/4-20 bolt through it and the gopro tripod adapter on the other side then put the gopro in the frame case like I use with all my other mounts. This would move the GoPro a little farther forward and be a little easier to access than my current setup with two thumb screws that have to be removed to change battery or get card out. Plus I get a lot of noise transfer from the gopro being mounted solid against a piece of aluminum.

#24 Steve Huether, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Rorick Edge likes this.
  5. Rorick Edge

Thanks Steve, I wasn't aware that adapters, apart from a Feiyutech one that I know won't work, are now available for the RX0.

I ordered the AndyCine adapter because the U.S. distributor has stock for delivery tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TGXH91/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3SSHBSFA7KJ23&psc=1 AndyCine is getting decent reviews on YouTube for a new, low-cost monitor, so hopefully it won't be a piece of junk :)

Glad I ordered the counterweight (arrives today) because it will be essential to make the AndyCine adapter work. As with your GoPro setup, the plate would appear to place the RX0 in pretty much the same position, from a balance point of view, as a Moment lens.

An iPhone 8+ weighs 202g/7.1oz. Add the weight of a Moment wide lens plus the Moment photo case, and it looks like the RX0 setup will weigh less. The RX0 with battery, plus plate, should come in at 245g/8.6 oz.

#25 Rorick Edge, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Steve Huether likes this.
  6. Rorick Edge

Steve Huether likes this.
  7. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Well I've started the design process to 3D Print an adapter for the Movi and Hero 5/6. I think I'll print my first attempt next week, still tweaking the design as I thing of new ideas and concerns. The hacked adapter I used with the Osmo is ok, but its got a few limitation I've addressed in this design.

Marc Smith and Rorick Edge like this.
  8. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

First print is done! And it works very well. Couple tweaks I think I'll make for second generation but overall I'm very happy. Balance with the counterweight kit was pretty easy.

Attached Files:

9. Rorick Edge

Hi Steve,

That's very cool. Good job of addressing the GoPro catching part of the gimbal in the image.

Were you able to balance in all three axes or did you just balance it as you would a phone?

#29 Rorick Edge, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  10. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

It balances very well in all directions, easier than the iPhone + Moment Lens I found. Plus it's a bit more compact because the GoPro doesn't stick out to the left as far and the counter weights don't stick out the right.

Now I'm trying to come up with a some sort of quick release design to actually hold the GoPro....

Marc Smith and Rorick Edge like this.
  11. Mike Spadier

Mike Spadier New Member

I’m ready to buy this once you’re ready to sell it.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  12. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I've got a few more things to work out but I'll keep that in mind! Right now I'm using a couple parts from another adapter I had to I'll have to source some parts but it should be easily doable.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  13. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Did a few tests with my adapter this weekend. Very happy with the results. The audio is terrible but thats to be expected with the GoPro. It does seem to be picking up a bit of noise from the Movi motors but the external port is accessible so I'll just get the external mic adapter and use it instead.

Kevin P Riley and Rorick Edge like this.
  14. Rorick Edge

I've never seen footage of Horsethief Canyon before. Spectacular. Find any dinosaur fossils?

Looks like a clean solution to keeping the Movi out of frame. It does sound like the camera is picking up the sound of the Movi motors. As you say, an external mike should fix that, although it will be interesting to see how the GoPro adapter affects balance. If it comes down to it, you can always use an external recorder.

#34 Rorick Edge, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  15. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Not this time, just a quick walk around the top. Its right near the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology so we saw LOTS of dinosaur bones there.

I think the balance should be ok, I've got lots of movement with the counterweight kit. I think I'll find a way to zip tie the mic adapter to the mount so its held firm and run the cable around like I would with the phone on it.

Also to be fair, I got a similar noise transfer from the Osmo Mobile into the GoPro so this isn't something new. The builtin audio is completely useless most times on the GoPro.

I do have a mount rigged up on the hoodie to use an iPhone to adjust Movi settings so I'll likely just use it to record audio at the same time and merge in post.

#35 Steve Huether, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Rorick Edge likes this.
  16. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Also of note, I played with the background audio clean up in iMovie and it cleared up almost all of the noice I was getting from the Movi so its not something I'd worry about.

17. Rorick Edge

I’d love to get to the Tyrrell Museum one day.

The GoPro’s own sound recording, without using the adapter and an external mike, just might be good enough to use to speed up syncing of the iPhone recording.

18. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

If you do, let me know. I'm about 2 hrs from there and know lots of great places in and around the area.

Yea that what I was thinking, good enough to get it synced.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  19. robotmak

robotmak New Member

do you have the 3d print available for sale or share the design for self print?

20. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I haven't made them available yet but I can send you a STL file of the latest version. Send me your email address.

Sebastian Milla likes this.