/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Hoodie with Rode VideoMicro mic

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Lyle Almond, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Lyle Almond

Lyle Almond New Member

Is my Rode VideoMicro mic one of those with the 3/8" 16 thread that requires a reducer bushing to mount on the Movi Hoodie? If so, where can I get the reducer bushing?

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Røde says on its web site that all of its VideoMic series mikes have a standard 3/8" female thread: http://www.rode.com/faq/will-the-videomic-range-of-microphones-connect-to-a-tripod

I made a suggestion about where to purchase a reducing bushing in the other thread in which you asked this question: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...except-for-audio-monitoring.12393/#post-86738 They are readily available from Amazon or online camera stores.

If you wanted, you could alternatively set up the Hoodie for a cold shoe mount.

#2 Rorick Edge, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. Lyle Almond

Lyle Almond New Member

Thanks, Rorick. I'll be online this weekend for a set of bushings this weekend. I just don't know why freefly couldn't accommodate Rode mics as part of the hoodie assembly. I like the cold shoe option. Do you think I can get a cold shoe to fit one of the hoodie screws from B&H?

4. Rorick Edge

The Hoodie is analogous in function to a miniature tripod or ball head and therefore has a 1/4"-20 mounting screw. I use the Hoodie to support things that require a 1/4"-20 screw, and it is less sensible to use an adapter to convert a 3/8" screw to a 1/4" screw than it is to use a reducing bushing on a 3/8" female thread. Not everyone uses the Hoodie just to mount a microphone, let alone your particular brand of microphone. In my case, I've never even owned a Røde mike.

If I recall, forum participant Michel Ulmann has gone the cold shoe route. Maybe do a search for the post in which he talks about his setup. As with reducing bushings, B&H sells several that should work.

#4 Rorick Edge, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  5. Lyle Almond

Lyle Almond New Member

Thanks, Rorick. I'll take a look at That post and see how best to assemble this mount.

6. Rorick Edge

Hi Lyle, the thread is Hoodie for Rode Mic: Which Adapter to Purchase, and is here: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...for-rode-mic-which-adapter-to-purchase.12578/

Given how the Røde VideoMics are used, I'm surprised that they don't come with a reducing bushing in the first place, but in any event you may find that a cold shoe mount is slightly more convenient if you are only using the Hoodie for your mike.

#6 Rorick Edge, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018