/dist/images/branding/favicon

Will the Spektrum DX7S work with Movi Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by steve green, Sep 22, 2018.

1. steve green

steve green Member

If so, what is the correct receiver to pair with it?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yes. You can use the AR8000 Satellite receiver. You’ll need to work out a way to bind the receiver, which will probably involve a special cable and lipo battery, since Movi Pro doesn’t support the binding procedure like the M15 did.

3. steve green

steve green Member

Graham,
    Thanks for the confirmation. I'll get the two items and then come back here for more guidance on how to get it bound. Although, it sounds a bit intrepid for my basic skills.

4. steve green

steve green Member

Just made the purchases, thanks so much!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Graham: I seem to remember that the binding process was first to have a main receiver (e.g. the AR8000) hooked up to the satellite, power up the receiver + satellite, power on the Spektrum DX7S holding the bind button down, and, when the bind completed, then you can use just the satellite receiver by itself.

It's been a while since I did that though, but I'm pretty sure that's what we did.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. steve green

steve green Member

Andy, I bought the 5.00 cable from freefly for the Spektrum. Where does the use of a lipo battery come into play?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm not quite sure which LiPo you're referring to Steve, but in the RC community we'd use a small Lipo to power up the main radio + satellite during the binding process before you connect it up to the MoVI Pro....but if you can clarify which Lipo you're referring to I may have just answered a question that you are not asking! :)

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Steve: Also check out this thread...especially the video in message #7 from Graham Futerfas.
    Edit: Here's the link, duh.... https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/mōvi-pro-spektrum-pairing-help.9409/
    Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. steve green

steve green Member

Andy,
    I was referring to this previous guidance that Graham sent me.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That Lipo is used to power the main receiver + satellite, I believe.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Steve: How familiar are you with binding Spektrum receivers? It can be pretty confusing if you've not done this kind of thing before and my previous postings above, when I re-read them, might not be providing you enough detail.....let me know if you need more detail and I'll happily provide it.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

12. steve green

steve green Member

I see what you're referring to in the video (in the thread you sent). Looks like I'll need to buy that 9.6v lipo battery.

13. steve green

steve green Member

Thank you Andy! When I get all the components together I'll have a look at it all. Chances are good I'll reach out to you again.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The voltage range that you can use is pretty wide -- so don't feel you have to get exactly the battery shown in that video.

For example, the AR8000 receiver can handle any voltage between 3.5 volts and 9.6 volts....so you can basically connect up just two wires to the Batt/Bind connector on the receiver (let me know if you're not sure how to do this). There are some additional images in the AR8000 "manual" (it's more of a brochure) that you can find here.

Look for the heading "Binding" (there are no page numbers....)

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

15. steve green

steve green Member

Andy, My concern there would be plugging the bare wires into the proper terminals. But when I get all the components together I'll reach out for some help. Thank you so much for all the help today! I feel like with all the info I've been given here, I can get it done, at least give it a try. We'll see.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just to be sure, which Spektrum main receiver will you be using? Once I know that, I can give more specific advice.

Note: DO NOT USE "bare wires" -- a LiPo, even a small one, can dump out a huge amount of current if you accidentally short the two terminals together.

The best way to proceed is to find your local hobby shop (known on the Internet as "LHS") and go there an explain to them what you're trying to do. If you ask nicely, they might even help you do the binding themselves.

Generally speaking here's what you need:

A small one or two "cell" (known as 1S or 2S) Lipo with a connector that will connect to a three pin "JR" connector -- those are the connectors that will be on the receiver.

The are three pins: 1) Ground, 2) Receiver voltage, and 3) signal (you're not going to use this one).

Be sure that you connect the ground and receiver voltage correctly to the receiver otherwise you're very likely to "smoke" it.

Hope this helps
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

17. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I miss the old M15 where you could bind the receiver in the Movi app... I wonder why Freefly stopped supporting that.

Thanks for looking up that old thread on binding, Andy. I forgot about that.

18. steve green

steve green Member

Copy, no bare wires!!! I will consult with you or trained professionals before I attempt the binding. Thanks, again.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I have a badly scarred (aka "welded") stainless steel counter-top that I damaged when I let both terminals of a small Lipo momentarily make contact. It was, errrr, "dramatic" (think bright blue flash, a "zzzzotttt" sound, and a puff acrid smoke as the steel vaporized).

Andy

20. steve green

steve green Member

Happy New Year, everyone! I've got a problem, hoping it's a simple one......Movi Pro, Spektrum DX7S, AR7000 Receiver. All worked great three months ago. Everything got put away, now no Movi control. Light comes on on the receiver when the Spektrum is turned on but no control. Set the controller to DSM2 1048 and DSM2 2048, with the app, nothing with either. Any idea's?

#20 steve green, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018