/dist/images/branding/favicon

setup M5 with Sony A7s and follow focus

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Peter Fischer, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Patrick Cone

Patrick Cone New Member

I mount the RR receiver on the top crossbar, so I may try mounting it down low. Thanks for your help.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

If it helps, I was looking at SmallRig's website today, and they have tons of great hot-shoe, 15mm, and assorted adapters that might get you working. And they're not that expensive compared to others.

http://www.smallrig.com/Camera-Accessories/

Patrick Cone likes this.
  3. Patrick Cone

Patrick Cone New Member

Thanks Graham. I'll chat with them tomorrow to see what they recommend.

4. Stephan Boeker

Stephan Boeker New Member

I want to hook my movi m5 a7s 16-36 SonyGM system up with follow focus. Can anyone share with me what rail system and follow focus works with that? Any input would be much appreciated.

5. Dylan Glockler

I use the MOVI Rod Mount adapter to add rails to the plate MOVI camera plate. The motor goes on the rails and then I have the RedRock Micro Wireless Follow Focus. I velcro/bongo-tie the receiver to the top rail of the MOVI cage, to balance against the motor. Then run a line up to an extra MOVI battery for power which I mount on the handle bars. It's a little clunky but reliable, at least with my Sony 16-35 lens. I usually rig it up with both the finger wheel and wireless, so I have options.

6. Stephan Boeker

This is great thanks. I ended up getting the Movi Rod Mount adapter and then the ikan follow focus. Will hook it up to a spare movi battery as well. Your suggestion of the movi rod mount adapter was exactly what I needed. Many thanks!

Dylan Glockler likes this.
  7. Juan Diego Zacarias

Juan Diego Zacarias New Member

This is a great video
    A7s2 and dji follow focus. Just use a 2nd baseplate and move the camera further back.

8. Stephan Boeker

Yeah... that looks pretty sweet. Seems DJI also has a thumb follow focus wheel that you can just plug straight in to the motor without the big clunky receiver wheel (something I don't need right now). The only thing is that FF motor unit has just been trashed in the reviews. Seems the motor burns through easily, forcing people to have to deal with the atrocious DJI customer service.

There have a been a few firmware updates of late that address the motor protection, but not sure that did the job or whether that makes this product suitable for pro scenarios.

I ended up not getting my order for the ikan in on time before the jewish holiday, so now I have a little more time to research. Any more input from people in this awesome forum would be appreciated! Thanks again...

Dylan Glockler likes this.
  9. Dylan Glockler

I wish I could run the thumbwheel direct into the motor on the RedRock - having to mount that receiver/controller is such a pain. I do hate that style of gear ring though - with the screws - trying to use and calibrate those with lenses with no hard stops is a pain. I've buying gears from this outfit for each lens: https://followfocusgears.com

10. Stephan Boeker

Hi Dylan... thanks for the input. This is my first foray into the world of modding photo lenses with gears. thanks for sharing your frustration and recommendation on the followfocusgears.com. Alas, seems they don't have a gear for my Sony GM 16-35 f2.8. Just wrote them. Will see what they say.