/dist/images/branding/favicon

iPhone Xs Max and Moment Case Fit?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Bruce Christy, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Bruce Christy

Bruce Christy New Member

I assume after Apple announced the the Xs Max is slightly smaller than the 8 plus, that the max should fit in the Movi with a Moment case, yes?

I just upgraded to Max and would hate that I shot myself in the foot in terms of using my Movi with it. The Moment case looks like it won't be ready until "mid-November" according to their site.

You think the Max will fit?

Second, I assume that my Movi Adjustable Counterweight system will accommodate the max?

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

See 29:47 to 30:31 of this video, part of Freefly's "6 Week Live Series" on the Movi:

3. Bruce Christy

Bruce Christy New Member

* ...Second, I assume that my Movi Adjustable Counterweight system will accommodate the IPHONE XS MAX? I assume this to be true since folks are already using iPhone 8 Plus etc. and it looks as if the XS MAX is the same form factor as the plus. Hopefully. ;)

4. Rorick Edge

Bruce, did you look at the video? It answers your question.

5. Bruce Christy

Bruce Christy New Member

I did. He was talking about "max" weight. My query is about the iPhone XS Max form factor (with the new Moment case). The Movi site warns about larger form factors — especially with the case.

6. Bruce Christy

Bruce Christy New Member

FYI. I just got this is from Freefly support about the form factor of the iPhone XS Max:

Bruce,
    Thank you for contacting Freefly Support! Apple says it’s a very similar size compared to the 8 Plus, smaller height and width, but a bit thicker. I assume it will fit, but we won’t know for sure until our test model arrives in a few weeks.

If you get yours first, let us know!

Thank you,
    Bryan

Chief MōVI Whisperer

7. Rorick Edge

Bruce, that e-mail is about the width of the clamp. It has nothing to do with the counterweight. If this isn't clear... You may have noticed that Freely does not sell the Moment battery case. It appears that the reason is that an iPhone plus that case is too thick for the clamp.

As the video that I linked above says, Freefly believes that the Movi will support just short of 1kg/2.2lbs. Even if that is optimistic, the XS Max is way under at 208g/7.34 ounces.

The counterweight is used to balance weight distribution. It may or may not even be necessary to use it to balance the XS Max, at least without a case. I have found it unnecessary when balancing an iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, 7 and 8 Plus.

So far, with iPhones, it's main use is to balance for accessories, such as third party lenses, that add weight forward of the phone's camera. These affect not just the overall weight, but importantly where the weight is located. Leaving aside a Moment case, a Moment lens by itself adds several ounces of weight in front of the camera. I use the counterweight to balance a Sony RX0, which has a quite different weight distribution from an iPhone. One participant in the forum uses the counterweight to balance a GoPro for the same reason. Within what Freely says is the Movi's load limit (to repeat, the XS Max is way under even if Freefly is optimistic), the issue isn't the weight, but how the weight is distributed and balanced.

#7 Rorick Edge, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018