/dist/images/branding/favicon

Issue with Movi Robot when counterweights are added

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Darryl Shelly, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Darryl Shelly

Darryl Shelly New Member

The Movi works well when I'm using just my iPhone X. When I put on the Moment wide-angle lens and counter weights, it worked just fine the first time I did a simple walking test. But when I attempted to repeat the test again, the Movi started shaking and vibrating and the iPhone screen was extremely jittery.

And so I turned it off, waited 10 minutes. I put the Movi on my desk and turned it on and I got the same issue: loud humming, jittery screen and intense shaking. Anyone know what's going on?

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

Make sure you have followed all this instructions, particularly the tuning.

3. Darryl Shelly

Darryl Shelly New Member

I watched the counterweights tutorial several times and had it balanced in about 20 minutes. I did a test and it worked beautifully. Then I tried to do another test and that's when it all fell apart. And in following the instructions, I did the tuning.

I'm going to try taking the weights off and see if has the same issues.

#3 Darryl Shelly, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  4. Joseph Stunzi

Joseph Stunzi New Member

Darryl - I went through a similar experience at first too... definitely built up some strength tightening those thumb screws. Funny enough, I'm a certified Steadicam op and have owned a few of the larger Freefly devices. Here's what worked for me!

Instead of using one large weight top and bottom, try screwing a few of the smaller weights onto the larger weights. This will bring the arms closer to the phone body and give you a lot more flexibility when it comes to balancing.

For my iPhone X and Moment Wide, I'm using a Large + Small on the top arm and a Large + Medium on the bottom arm.

If possible, post some pictures of your setup or a quick video. Happy to help ya get up and running!

5. Kevin P Riley

Is there a reason you are using extra weight? Not being a smart Alec, you said you have used other systems so maybe a chance to learn something. I balanced my iPhone X with the large weights, no need for any of the smaller weights.

6. Joseph Stunzi

Joseph Stunzi New Member

Tabb definitely inspired me on one of the live streams. I was able to balance with just two large weights as well but found the amount of precision needed to be slower than upping the weight.

There’s a component of balance between static and dynamic too that impacts inertia. For instance when you spin a steadicam it should stay level and not drift to the side.

End of day the heavier weight will also enable me to add a filter kit easily too.

Short answer is I can balance it faster

Robert Kadelka and Kevin P Riley like this.
  7. Kevin P Riley

Thanks for the answer. I have a steady cam, I’ve tried it a few times and have given up on it. I can’t get it to stop swaying when I move it. I was getting better footage with an iPhone and my movi than I could get with the flycam (red king) and a 5dmkiii.

8. Joseph Stunzi

Joseph Stunzi New Member

There’s a place for each. But all to often people think they’re done balancing after a 3 second steadicam drop.

Working on ways to handle z-axis with MCR after I knock out OIS issues.

Echo is by far one of my favorites. Rock it man!

9. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

For the intense shaking, you may want to change the setting for Tuning. I think Plus is for heavier setup. You can also use custom Tuning that my benefit your particular setup. Just a thought.

10. Darryl Shelly

Darryl Shelly New Member

Hmm. The issue I've been having hasn't reappeared. The next day, I turned on the Movi and took a few sample shots and everything seemed fine. I left the counterweight on the Movi and when I turned it on the Movi was still perfectly balanced. I suppose that as long as I don't change the composition of the weights, I won't have to rebalance the Movi every time I remove the weights – and I do hope that this issue doesn't reappear.

11. Leong Kok Fei

Leong Kok Fei New Member

hi there,

once i remove my counterweight and i unable to balance the movi with my iphone. does anyone face this before. i have tried very long time is still unable to balance with iphone itself. the phone keep facing down. pls help

Regards
    Leong

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Leong: Firstly, if you cannot balance the iPhone by itself then you need to continue to have the counterweights installed.

Secondly, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

13. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Is this normal? I've balanced four different models of 6, 7 and 8 iPhones (no accessories) without the need for the counterweight.

#13 Rorick Edge, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Rorick: I'm not quite sure what model Leong is using, but clearly, if he cannot balance the iPhone by itself, he needs the counterweights. The way he describes the issue, it's the pitch axis that is causing the problem.

Andy.

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

15. Leong Kok Fei

Leong Kok Fei New Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using iphone 7 plus. I do have moment lens with the counterweight. what do i mean is once i remove the counter weight and moment lens, i unable to balance the phone itself with MCR. Is that normal? what if i wanted to use the phone only and the MCR unable to balance.

Attached Files:

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

To me, this is normal -- the physics are such that the weight of the phone causes to move to the position you are getting -- but I'm interested to hear whether Rorick has managed to balance this model of phone? Any chance you tried that model, Rorick?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

17. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I'd like to know if he has the same problem if he removes the phone's case (see his photos).

The tests that I've done have all been without a case. I've tested either a 7 Plus or an 8 Plus, but I won't have the phone in my hands to confirm which until tomorrow or Thursday. In the meantime, there must be other people here with a 7 Plus. Perhaps one of them will chime in.

#17 Rorick Edge, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  18. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

My 8 Plus balances just fine by itself. My Moment case is finally showing up today so I can start the balancing with weights, but sans case, yeah no issues balancing the 8 Plus by itself.

Leong Kok Fei and Rorick Edge like this.
  19. Leong Kok Fei

Leong Kok Fei New Member

Hi Andy,

I saw some video on youtube only use phone itself are well balance. There are few matter i worry.
    1) If my MCR cannot balance with my iphone 7 plus with or without cover and i just use it as normal recording. Will i damage the gimbal/axis if is not well balance.
    2) Some ppl i saw on youtube are well balance with the phone and mine unable to balance it with my iphone 7 plus. Is my MCR got problem?

Even i use counterweight and lens. I realise that my iphone 7 plus will tilt to the left and not horizon. is this normal?
    Before i on my MCR i balance is well. Once i on the phone will tilt to the left.

I really worry something wrong with my MCR.

Thanks and Regards
    Leong Kok Fei

Attached Files:

20. Leong Kok Fei

Leong Kok Fei New Member

Hi Rorick, I have tested with and without case. The result still the same.

Regards
    Leong Kok Fei