/dist/images/branding/favicon

Things you did not know about the Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Looks like i am the only one on New Years Eve trying to solve a problem :) without owning a DX18 Radio hahaha.
    This set up just my imagination working. so that i can have the Radians operate the servo channel output 4 on 2048 resolution just in case i get a replay from someone that with 512 Resolution from the X Plus8, the performance will go down... so i have suggested this new set up,,,a lot different from the one in my previous post, someone please tell me that this is feasible on the DX18 with X Plus8 expansion module...
    ch 1 to 4 for control of Multicopter
    ch 5 set up through a curve menu and linked to Aux2 for Fail Safe
    ch6 which is Aux1 goes to Wookong-M X3 port for IOC
    ch 7 which is Aux2 goes to Wookong-M U Port for Mode
    ch 8 goes to Pan Radian 1 input
    ch 9 goes to Roll Radian 1 input
    ch 10 goes to Tilt Radian 1 input
    Now the X Plus port
    X1, 2 and 3 go to Cam Tilt servo, cam Click servo and cam Zoom servo.
    X4, 5 and 6 go to Port 2 of all Radians for Mode
    So now as per my logic, all servos hooked up to the Radians are on 2048 resolution and performance should be perfect.
    Any one with DX18,,,,, could u comment if this set up is a workable set up...
    My other doubt that now come to surface is that will the Radian handle assigning it two channels with two different Resolutions of 2048 and 512
    I sincerely hope i can order a DX18 at start of New Year.
    Ramesh Tahlan

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ramesh:
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Wookong, nor the DX18. Hopefully someone else on the forum can help with some answers for you.
    Andy.

3. Peter Demeter

Peter Demeter New Member

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum and am awaiting TWO sets of Radians. One set for my CS 6 and the other for my CS 8 with 3axis gimbal. I am using a Graupner MX-20 for the FC's. My question is if I could use my Graupner and a Futaba FG8 as a single operator on both the Cinestars? Or must I use a Spektrum for sure as the second radio?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Peter:
    There are no design requirements that would preclude you using the MX-20/8FG for single operator other than the cognitive workload of driving two transmitters. This thread (message #3) might be relevant to your thinking.

The advantages that the Spektrum satellite receiver (only the satellite) is that it has a separate socket to connect to the Radians so you can connect it up as well as provide PPM/PWM input on Port 1. The Radians give priority to the Spektrum satellite receiver so you can have a situation where if the Spektrum transmitter is operating, then the Spektrum controls the gimbal. If you turn the Spektrum transmitter off, then the Radian will roll over to executing commands from Port 1.

Andy.

5. Peter Demeter

Peter Demeter New Member

Andy,

Thanks for your quick reply.

6. Peter Demeter

Peter Demeter New Member

Andy,

So I would be better off using the Graupner/JR Spektrum setup then. I guess I have to wipe the dust off the JR radio then. I really would rather use the Futaba for the radians as that is the radio I use to fly my Heli's as well.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Peter:
    That's a good question. In some senses the Graupner/Spektrum satellite combo does make sense, but I switched to the Graupner/Futaba because the S.bus wiring for the Radians is so much simpler. I also was attracted by the build quality of the Futaba, and the side sliders.

My current, perhaps incomplete, idea for dual-operator/single-operator conversion, is to use the Futaba receiver on the Gimbal for dual operator. To convert to single operator, I'd Velcro the gimbal booms to the motor booms and disconnect the pan servo from the pan Radian sensor, then swap the Futaba receiver for a GR-12 (I'll mount the receiver's using 3M Dual Lock "industrial" Velcro).

What I've not quite figured out is the optimal channel allocations for the MX-20 so that it can easily handle dual and single operator modes....

There is also the issue of binding the MX-20 with both a GR-24 and a GR-12, and whether there will be telemetry interference if the receivers are physically too close.

Andy.

8. Pavlos Antoniou

Guys whats better to use 5 or 6 volts on radians + servos??

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

10. Pavlos Antoniou

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

As far as I can tell no. The only concern I have about supply +6v is that if you add on the additional noise spikes caused by the servos operating, I would worry that the total input voltage would be higher than the Radians could handle.

If you wished to provide +6v to the servos to get them to drive heavier loads, I think you could, if you wanted, always provide +5v to the Radians and just make sure that you didn't connect the +5v wires on the connections to the servos -- just makes sure that you have a common ground and signal from the Radians to the servos.

Andy.

12. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

13. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Andy,
    A little help please
    I have set up my Radians for a 2 axis system, with a spectrum sat rx, and its working awesome for a TWO pilot operation.
    i now want a SINGLE pilot operation, so that when necessary, i can operate it alone.
    from all the videos i am unable to figure out exactly how do i programme it all for a Single pilot operation.
    Is it that the Radians will automatically recognize the two diff types of programming.. first with a Sat Rx and then put the Sat Rx Radio off and now put everything on with the PWM Radio...
    Do i just remove the Spectrum Sat Rx ,,, and plug in the PWM outputs from my standard Rx to all the radians, two wires each to each radian,
    and now go onto the software and programme all the channels necessary.
    But what do i click on the software to tell it that i am programming it in this manner now for PWM
    When i had programmed the Radians with the Sat Rx., i had clicked the SPECTRUM VALID on the Diagnostic menu, and clicked on the DSM2 1024 and "Off" UNLESS USING SPECTRUM in the Stabilizer Configuration software menu.
    So now with 2 wires each from my Rx to each radian, what do i click to tell the Radians.
    would appreciate if u could help
    Am mortally scared to do it right now hahahaha.
    My third axis is also on the way, and would be getting the DX18 also soon
    But in the meantime i just want to be totally clear on how exactly it is done. I have 2 Radios as of now , a JR 9 ch for the Radians. and a JR 11 ch for the multicopter and once the DX18 arrives, will use it for Single Pilot operation, with 2 wires to each radian.
    Appreciate any help
    Ramesh tahlan

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Ramesh:
    Yes. The Radian's give priority to the Spektrum Satellite receiver signal. If it's active, then that controls.
    If it's not active, then the Radians look to port #1 for the signal.

Depending on which channels you use, could you not use common channel numbers for both Spektrum and PWM?

Nothing. The Radians auto-sense which input is controlling.

There is a thread on which JohnC wrote (about the Radian firmware):
    The intention during the design was to reflect some of the PPM inputs in the higher channel numbers so the Spektrum will appear in 1..8 and the PPM in 9..16 so you can choose which radio controls the mode.​

Now the PPM can have 12 channels, only the first 4 will be reflected - but channels 9..12 will still show the top 4 PPM channels.​

Is it possible to assign your mode switch to one of these channels ?.​

If you watch the 'Input Channel Monitor' window with everything switched on, you will see what the Radian is 'choosing' from - ie which are being controlled by the Spektrum and which are still from the PPM.​

I understand, but the systems seem remarkably resilient -- they may not work, but nothing blows up.
    The one exception to that is NEVER put more that 6.0v into the Radians. Otherwise they turn into ex-Radians.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

15. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Andy.
    Thanks a Ton
    feel more confident to tinker about now for a single pilot operation.
    And thanks a lot for ur patience to explain at length.
    Its the best system and it feels great to own it.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And, of course, don't hesitate to ask the forum members for assistance before you plug Tab A into Slot B. :)

Andy.

17. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Andy.
    u got me worried.. what is "before you plug Tab A into Slot B" am i waiting for a disaster to happen with some wrong wiring...???
    OK Guys.
    i realised the disaster of going in for a PWM set up where two wires go from Rx to each Radian. Now even with a Specrum Sat Rx on the Pan Radian... i cant switch to a two pilot system... For that i need S Bus set up with Radio for one pilot operation.... cause then its a daisy chain system... and only in this case can i change over to two pilot operation cause for which u need daisy chain set up with a Spectrum Sat Rx.
    I have got to have both options of one and two pilot operation.
    ONE QUESTION needs answering if anyone can help
    In a one pilot operation, with S Bus,
    is it possible to put a S Bus HUB at S Bus port of Main Radio Rx
    so that one output of Hub goes to Wookong M and one output of HUB goes to Pan Radian.
    I have 14 channels on the 8FG SUPER in S Bus mode
    All 14 channels are assignable.
    SECOND QUESTION
    is it possible that the S bus port of Rx goes directly to Pan Radian... and the output of last Radian i.e. Tilt Radian port 3, goes to Wookong M S Bus input....
    In this way, i can do one pilot operation BUT this poses one more question... now when i go for 2 pilot operation and the Spectrum is switched on... will the Tilt Radian port 3 still send my Main Tx signals to Wookong-M
    IF NOT,
    Then a HUB at output of Rx S Bus port may be the answer, cause the S Bus signal will go to Wookong M and Pan Radian, and any time the Spectrum Radio is sw on for two pilot operation, the S Bus signals going directly from HUB to Wookong M will not be interrupted.
    Is my chain of thinking right.
    Sorry for daisy chaining my thoughts

18. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Just a further though in what i just wrote in my last post...
    someone has to tell me if i am thinking correctly
    if i take S Bus output from last Radian and send it to Wookong-M S bus input
    then when the second pilot puts on his Spectrum Radio to take over control of cam mount.
    the Radian will give priority to Spectrum..
    and so there will be no out put from last Radian to Wookong M from my Main Radio
    AND SO IT SEEMS
    that my theory of putting a HUB at S Bus output of Main Rx and sending two different S bus signal wires to Radian and Wookong-M might just work
    Cause , now when second pilot puts on his Radio.
    only the S bus signals from Main Rx will be interrupted for the Radians that r coming from the HUB
    and the S bus signals from the hub will still go to Wookong M
    I have just ordered the 8FG , that has 14 channes on S Bus and should arrive with Hubs and all by tomorrow night
    So would be in a position to give some updates of the problem that i am posing to everyone
    I am just hoping that someone has gone through the same type of set up that i am contemplating
    of using S Bus outputs from ONE Rx to Wooking M and Radians for single pilot operation
    and can advise me
    regards
    ramesh tahlan

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Don't read too much into it Ramesh....it was just my way of saying, don't hesitate to ask on the forum before you do something that you might later regret.

I've not done much experimenting with the single/dual operation system, so I can't be of much help on this, but I suspect others on the forum are way ahead of me.... :)

Andy.

20. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Hi Andy.
    My 8FG Super has arrived with HUBs and all..
    will try to put HUB at Sbus output of rx
    then from HUB send one wire to Pan Radian...
    and other wire to Wookong M
    if this set up does no work out
    then will bind 2 Futaba receivers to the Tx and do what someone has written on this forum for single pilot operation... tie one Futaba Rx to cam mount and plug a Sat rx to Pan Radian, and one for Wooking M.
    with 14 channels available i should be able to assign channels without duplication for the Radians and Wookong functions
    Any idea if two JR or Spectrum Rxs can be bound to one Tx.... i have doubts, but will that a try also
    I am presently away form home.
    so once i get back early next week. will try if the HUB idea will work..
    thanks for all the answers and help