/dist/images/branding/favicon

A problem with moment wide lens out there?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Warathanut Sukcharoenpong, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

I own Moment wide lens version 2. I took a video with Movi app and found out how blur on the side of video is. Especially, on the top left corner. Do you guy have any similar problem like this? Is it because I got a bad batch of Moment lens or is it because of Movi app?

22CF87A2-8AE2-4FA6-B8AC-E66AD04C77DD.jpeg

54FF53A8-CC55-4440-B868-451346977A99.jpeg

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

I think most lenses are soft on the corners, particularly when you only pay a hundred bucks for them. I just looked through some footage and mine is soft on the edges, although nowhere near your example. Personally, I wonder if there was some movement? if your following the 180º rule....there could be some blur in a frame capture, but again your example is extreme. Have you checked to see if the iPhone itself has this issue without the lens, have you cleaned all the lenses? iPhone, back of moment lens and front of moment lens?

3. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Warathanut,

You’d probably know more about what the problem is, and indeed if there is one, if you took some still photos with the Moment lens and examined them for sharpness. It would be best to do this with your iPhone on a tripod.

There are a lot of possible reasons why a still from a video might not look terribly sharp, starting with the shutter speed and gimbal movement. Looking at your video stills full size, it looks to me like a lot more than just the edges is soft. But it's hard to know what to make of that, especially since we don't know what the resolution is of the files you uploaded.

I don’t see how the Movi app itself could cause a sharpness issue.

#3 Rorick Edge, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

You have blur in all four corners. Rorick makes a good suggestion. Shoot a still. Even my high quality Hasselblad wide angles had some softness in the corners if you looked hard enough and with enough magnification.

Have you tried calling the guys at Moment? Maybe you have a bad lens.

5. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

Thank you for sharing your suggestion. I have sent email to moment team for any suggestion. Also, I did clean my len as well.

This shot was taken by using orbit mode. So, I was moving around in circle. I tested to take a still photo and noticed that if I take a photo within certain range from the object, the sharpness is acceptable even the all 4 corners are ok. If I take a photo further away than that, the sharpness is getting worse. Especially, the top left corner.

Do you think maybe because of shutter speed which make it even worse when taking video? I really don’t know how the app handle the shutter speed.

6. Rorick Edge

I’m mostly using the Movi with a Sony RX0 camera, but my understanding is that you can’t yet set the shutter speed in the Movi app, although that is coming. If I’m right, this means that your iPhone is choosing the ISO and shutter speed.

When you took your still photos, did you do them handheld or with the phone on a tripod?

7. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

I took them by handheld.
    You are right about shutter speed which is my assumption. Since the app does not let me customize shutter speed, my video ended up with strange motion blur and weird looking. Especially, the softness near edges. Do you think this is a factor?

8. Rorick Edge

Hi,

When you said that you saw different sharpness depending on how far the camera was from the subject, the first question that came to mind was whether the photos were taken handheld.

I don't think that it's possible to assess what is going on with the lens, if anything, until you take some still photos with the camera on a tripod or otherwise stationary. If you don't have a tripod, you could try mounting the phone on the Movi and taking photos with the Movi sitting on a table or similar.

#8 Rorick Edge, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  9. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper New Member

Did you ever find out if the lens was the problem? I have a similar issue with the Moment Wide on my Pixel 3. Moment replaced my Pixel3 XL case as they said they had a manufacturing defect in the early cases. Changing to a newer case didn't solve the blurry edges when using the Moment wide lens. I'm pretty sure I have a bad lens. I get that the edges can be "soft" on a wide lens, but not blurry. Look at the attached picture of a bedroom. The hedges seen through the window on the right are very blurry. Other areas in the photo are considerably sharper.

Attached Files: