/dist/images/branding/favicon

Thread for beta testers of the Movi Android App.

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App (Android)' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Please use this thread for postings relating to the Android version of the Movi app.

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

2. Colter Beote

Colter Beote New Member

How do I gain access to the beta version of the Android app? I've been using the m5, m15, and now Movi Pro on a regular basis for the past three years, and just recently got two of the Cinema Robots in the mail for my team. I'd love the chance to try it out and see what works, and help find solutions for what can be improved. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Thanks so much for your consideration!

Rob Hargreaves likes this.
  3. David Yang

David Yang New Member

David Yang
    Pixel 2 XL

Thank you Freefly for releasing the beta!

4. Rob Hargreaves

Rob Hargreaves New Member

I'm on the iOS beta testing program, how does one get on the Android testing program?
    Thanks

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Rob: As I understand it, It's a simple as downloading and installing the .apk file from the Google Play store and starting testing. I'm not in a place where I can access my Android device, so please post again if that's not the case.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Gabe Ochoa

Gabe Ochoa Member

I just found it! And yes, a simple search pulls it up, but here is the Playstore link for easier access!

7. Rob Hargreaves

Rob Hargreaves New Member

Thanks for the link, found it.

8. David Yang

David Yang New Member

I wish the beta version gave us the option to save our custom presets. Have to keep tuning it when adding my lens and counterweight

9. Steve Torem

Steve Torem New Member

Beta app has been working great on my Samsung S9+. Connection to the movi is steady and ever since the .04 update, focus lock seems to work much better. Looking forward to more functionality and additional majestic modes to try.

Bryan Mordt likes this.
  10. David Yang

David Yang New Member

My Cinema robot set up

Anyone else like to share? received_413885579141422.jpeg

11. Steve Torem

Steve Torem New Member

Nice setup David. How do you like that Moment lens? I've been thinking about trying one now that they have a case for the s9+.

Just updated to 0.0.6. In the app store, changes are summarized as:

WHAT'S NEW

New Feature​
    • User selectable Natural or Fullscreen camera preview window
    Improvements​
    • Pixel devices now record at 240 FPS without frame drops
    • Reticle movement is restricted to the camera preview
    • Updated styles of some settings components
    Bugfixes​
    • Bitrate per frame options scale appropriately with recording parameters
    • Other changes based on user reported app behavior issues
    Not really sure what that natural vs. fullscreen means. It seems to crop the view, but is resolution diminished? Wish we had a bit more of an explaination with these. Wouldn't mind some guidance on bitrate as well. On the plus side, "experimental" features still seem to be working great, with the exception of movielapse which doesn't really seem to do anything.

12. David Yang

David Yang New Member

Thanks. The moment wide is awesome. Very clear. If your looking for a tele lens I say look somewhere else. The edges are blurry. Not sure if that was purposely design that way.

For bitrate I would set it to the max. I had it at the lowest bitrate and it looks like the old school 8-bit Nintendo games.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Steve:
    If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    Thanks
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Steve Torem

Steve Torem New Member

Consider it done Andy .

15. Steve Torem

Steve Torem New Member

I know we're still in beta, but just in case anybody wants my wishlist for future features, here's what I've come up with so far:
    • Anamorphic lens desqueezed
    • Manual shutter speed control
    • Ability to remap top and bottom gimbal buttons that currently control exposure, i.e. to zoom, adjust focus, etc
    • Support for both rear cameras on Galaxy phones
    • Manual aperture control for variable aperture lenses.
    What do you guys think? Are any of these realistic?

David Martinez likes this.
  16. Robert Kadelka

Robert Kadelka New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm a beta tester for Moment, got my Movi through them. I'd love to contribute to the Android Beta here as well. Is there a beta team, with a Slack channel or does everything just go on the forum?
    BTW if you are thinking of buying lenses, just do it you won't be disappointed, here is a link with 10% off:
    http://bit.ly/MomentRob

17. Steve Torem

Steve Torem New Member

Thanks for the link Rob!

18. Robert Kadelka

Glad to help. Go crazy, but the 10% is only off your first purchase so keep that in mind

19. Ken Melander

Ken Melander New Member

Love the beta. I use the oneplus 6 and it has the capability to film 4k 60fps for 5 minutes straight. Get some really nice slow motion footage if needed. But the app is missing the option to shoot 60fps on 4k, would love to see that added!

20. Robert Kadelka

Yeah interesting that it is missing from the app. I have a Note9 and that has 4k 24/30/120/240 in the Movi app, but is also missing 60...
    I just watched a recent live stream from Freefly, and they said an API is coming out for the Movi, meaning basically anything will be able to control it. I'm hoping Filmic Pro will get Movi support then giving us users the benefit of all the features that Filmic Pro has regarding recording media, with the addition of the super stabilization of the Movi.
    Also Moment is working on their Android app to support video, and hopefully that will have Movi support as well...

I wish there would be a way to have the Movi app run along side Filmic Pro or any other recording app. The Movi app would control the Movi hardware with the recording app taking care of recording. We have split screen in Android fully integrated, so theoretically it would be possible, the taxation on the hardware is different question...