/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shaky Cam?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Graham Futerfas, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

What does this adjustment do, exactly? Anyone know how it works?

I've played with it a bit, even turned it all the way up, and I understand that it's supposed to add more of a handheld feel to the movement, but I can't see a difference in the admittedly brief tests I've tried. The Movi seems to still hold very stable.

Thanks for any insight,
    -Graham

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, I *thought* it was supposed to provide that "hand-held" feel to the footage based on what it says on the tin:

Shaky-cam Pan / Tilt - A feature has been exposed to allow operators enhance their
    filming. Shaky Cam senses movement of the gimbal (acceleration in both the vertical and
    horizontal axis'), and can add some of that signal into the tilt and pan servos as a form of
    deliberate pointing corruption. The scaling factors are adjustable where zero disables the
    corruption, and larger positive or negative values give a progressively stronger lead or lag
    effect. Lead is where the camera accelerates to tilt more upward when the gimbal is
    accelerated up, lag is the opposite with the camera briefly pointing more downwards for an
    up move. Similarly applied for lateral movements affecting the Pan Axis. Both effects may
    be enabled and tuned independently. The effects maybe be observed for test purposes by
    using larger scaling factors and moving the gimbal around more sharply. It is possible to
    dial in a relatively consistent behavior suitable for a particular action shot - typically this
    would be with the camera operator running whilst shooting a scene. The stabilisation is
    otherwise unaffected except for this cyclic operator induced noise.​

But, strange to say, when I fly with the MoVI, it's the last thing I want to use -- and so I've never used it! :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  3. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Andy, next time I'll have to try pushing the Movi harder. I was kind of expecting it to rough up the more static shots, so I kept trying to make it smooth and see what it would do.

4. Stephan Knight

Stephan Knight New Member

How do you enable shaky cam on the movi pro I cant find its setting on the app? Am I missing something?

5. Graham Futerfas

It's under General->Expert Settings. Scroll down to the bottom, because it's probably below what you can see on your phone.

6. Stephan Knight

DUH thank you so much found it.. but I dont really see it doing much when I crank up the values to its maximum or minumum is there something else you need to swtich off before enabling shakey cam?

7. Graham Futerfas

Well, I've never been able to tell the difference either, to be honest.

If you want "handheld", I tried attaching the Mimic to the ring, and then put it in Direct mode, and it can look more handheld when you turn the Mimic on. Remove the antenna, because it's really close to the Movi Pro. Haven't done it in a while, but last time I tried, the Mimic was giving me some trouble with jittery-ness. I should try again, since Freefly serviced my Movi Pro a few months ago, and maybe it's working better?

8. Stephan Knight

I think I've found it..take it off handheld and switch to the airborne mode and it then stiffens motors and gives you that "handheld" look.

9. Graham Futerfas

Interesting, I'll have to try that.