/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using a Movi to Improve Story Telling

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rorick Edge, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

There’s a UK videographer named James Mathews who has been posting some interesting videos on using gimbals.

As a sometime U.K. resident, I find his insistence on using regional slang irritating, but it’s part of his shtick and he knows what he’s talking about.

Also, note that he is a paid endorser of Zhiyun gimbals, but it’s irrelevant to what he says below.

This video, uploaded yesterday, is worth watching:

#1 Rorick Edge, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Simon Hughes likes this.
  2. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

For what it’s worth the slang speak he uses is to try to appeal to a young audience.
    It’s massively irritating.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  3. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Lol definitely some good ideas. Its crazy how some simple tweaks can make a shot much more interesting. I may be odd, but I don't mind the slang. Based on this video, I think I'll check out more of his stuff.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

With a lot of South London accent ("Sarf Lundin, innit, mate?")

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Rorick Edge likes this.
  5. Rorick Edge

Close. He’s from Essex. I think he’s deliberately doing a caricature of the accent. He actually addressed his use of English in one of his videos, in which he says that he intends to speak in a way that he considers “natural”.

But calling a guy leading camels in North Africa a “geezer” can’t be serious, or at least I hope not :)

I think that Rick has called this right. It’s about appealing to a particular audience.

That said, I think that Matthews knows what he’s talking about and that he’s good - indeed better than most on YouTube - at explaining the use of video tools.

#5 Rorick Edge, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  6. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

"Geezer" is no different than "bloke", or "guy".

7. Rick Bronks

If you actually watch the video he makes a whole video out of one single type of move. He just repeats it different times but essentially says the same thing.

He's just another shill trying to blag his way through life by attaching himself to a brand to increase his perceived value and being 'instafamous'

8. Rorick Edge

Yes, but there are countless YouTube filmmakers, especially amateurs like me, who would benefit from learning this move.

The underlying message is to decide before you film a sequence what you want to achieve and how to do it. For you, as a professional, this is obvious. For the rest of us, that is a lesson to be learnt.

That’s why there are so many videos on YouTube in which the footage seems aimless. Apparently the filmmaker thinks that his/her footage has value because it was shot on a gimbal. In NY at the moment, there’s a guy using an Arri, no less, who uploads footage every couple of days of walking around NY. I’ll admit that he has a growing audience, but there is no apparent purpose to any of it.

I’m not a big fan of James Matthews. Leaving aside his shtick, I’ve spent time in Morocco and I don’t have time for the candy floss way that he portrays the country. But I do think that he does a good job - indeed better than most on YouTube - of explaining what camera motion is about.

9. Rick Bronks

I agree. I’m not saying he hasn’t no value but you need to separate the paid advertisement too. I do think at least he was slightly more engaging than others.

I always say this - when I’m delivering talks or whatever that there really has to be a reason in the narrative for a type of shot.

Just because we have these amazing tools at our disposal doesn’t mean we have to use them tirelessly. Gimbals are incredibly versatile but they carry a certain look and feel. They are not one-stop solutions for entire film making.
    Same as drones. Just because we can get one easily doesn’t mean it needs to be 90% of the shots.

Kevin P Riley and Rorick Edge like this.