/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is it ever a good idea to buy a used M5 (and if I do what kind of support does Freefly offer?)

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jeremy Ying, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Jeremy Ying

Jeremy Ying New Member

Hi Freeflyers.

I'm in the market for a new gimbal. I've work with the Ronin-M extensively, but then its Bluetooth suddenly stopped working and DJI's China-based support was pretty terrible. Then I tried Zhiyun Crane and quickly learned that they were pretty much the budget version of DJI (I did an in depth Crane vs Ronin-M review here, video description does contain affiliate links).

So I'm looking at potentially buying a used M5. But I've seen how badly most people treat their gimbals (I swear 75% of gimbal owners never store, balance, or transport their gimbals with any degree of care). And every rental gimbal I've ever had had all sorts of problems.

I've heard that Movi products are generally great build quality. So is it a good idea to buy a used M5? Because after what I've seen with Zhiyun Tech I would never buy a used Zhiyun product. If I do meet up with M5 seller what are some telltale signs that the Movi has been through hell? And if I do end up buying a broken Movi M5, what kind of after-sales care can I expect from a company like Freefly?

#1 Jeremy Ying, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Eduardo Cisneros likes this.
  2. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Look for signs of physical damage, corrosion from water exposure (rust), etc. All of the bearings and motors should move freely and not feel physically bound up (note: when not powered, you will feel the magnets in the motors as you spin them, this is normal and expected) or grindy. It's hard to say what condition the batteries will be in, or how long they will last for you long term, but they are a readily available accessory. It should power up and the motors should activate, and odds are, if it does, you're good to go!

Freefly Support is US based (Woodinville, WA) and is available to help M-F, 7am-5pm. It doesn't matter where you purchase your Freefly gear, we can help with any setup questions or repair needs. Just reach out directly for assistance: https://freeflysystems.com/support

Good luck with your search!

Eduardo Cisneros likes this.
  3. Jeremy Ying

Jeremy Ying New Member

Hey thanks for the tips. Hopefully I can work out a deal with the seller. Because I'd really like to hop on board with Movi if I can avoid going broke while doing it.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You might find a good deal on an M15 these days, too.