/dist/images/branding/favicon

v 1.2.0 B122 - Frame Rate Incorrect

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App' started by John Chu, Jun 9, 2018.

1. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

The latest Beta B122 seems to ignore the frame rate setting. It recorded clips in 30p instead of 24p.

Yesterday, half the clips I recorded were in 30P and the rest in 24p.

And the day before, all the clips I had recorded were 30p (despite the setting for 4K 24p on my iPhone 6s).

I am running the latest iOS 11.4

I restarted the iPhone just to be sure. (Toggling the frame rate from 24p to 30p and back to 24p seems to work to clear it, but I don't trust it. As I recorded some clips in 24p last night and then it happened today.)

The previous beta had no issues with frame rates.

Update 1 hour later: I'm confused, Test Flight allows rolling back to Build 118.

#1 John Chu, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I had a good shooting day yesterday with Beta Build 118 and I just did a few clips today as a test, and found the clips are in 30p again--even though my setting on the app is for 24fps. The only clue is that I had shot a clip just prior to using the Movi app-- with the standard camera on the iPhone. Is somehow the iPhone retaining the setting after I launch the Movi app? I should probably just cycle thru the frame rates before shooting, but kind of annoying here.
    One more thing.. I know the Movi app saves directly to the film roll--- does Apple's iOS interfere with this process? (I know Filmic Pro gives warnings about saving directly to the camera roll and prefers saving the recorded clips into the app itself.)

3. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

You shouldn't need to do that. Lets fix it! Can't yet reproduce your issue on this end. If you find a way to consistently reproduce, please let me know!

4. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Sent you 1.2.0 (125) that might be helpful.

5. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Disregard previous posting.

I just rebooted the iPhone after installing the beta and wasn't able to recreate the issue.

I will use the new beta and see if it fixes the issue.

Note: While the troubleshooting dialog box is nice, it will be annoying to have to exit out of it constantly. :).

#5 John Chu, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  6. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Took it out today with beta (125) and it performed as expected with no issues--all the clips were recorded in 24fps. Looking good so far.

7. Marco Salazar

Marco Salazar New Member

Hi same here, having trouble with the frame rate it usually records are at 30 frames per second on the iPhone and on the movi app it it’s set up with 60 frames per second or 120

8. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I gave some feedback to Deniz a couple weeks back as the problem still happens on my 6s. (My guess is that Apple doesn't make 24fps available on the standard camera and somehow that setting gets retained when switching over to the Movi app.).

The workaround for me, is to cycle thru the frame rates on the Movi app and then should be fine for the rest of the day.

9. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Took Movi Beta 1.3.0 (172) out yesterday with their latest firmware and everything seems to work pretty well. I used the Moment wide on my iPhone 6s and external weights and performed a autotune and reduced autotune level to 35-36. (No issues with frame rate).

The wide angle view really complements the footage.

I didn't experience any crooked horizons after shooting. (I wonder if the Movi actually prefers a slightly heavier setup.)

The only gremlin that I've experienced is this: Even with a good autotune and not changing of the configuration---why would the unit occasionally experience a vibration issue(bad tuning) like panning up etc? And require me to have to perform a fresh autotune? (Unless the default autotune level was too high to begin with?)

This has happened to me with previous versions of firmware and app too. Nothing has changed except maybe the unit has warmed up from use?