/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll droops slightly

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Wade Dannhauser, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Wade Dannhauser

Wade Dannhauser New Member

Hey guys, just received my movi, was wondering, after I balance the movi and turn it on, its sorted but I can see that the camera is slightly dropping down on the camera side of my iPhone ? If I draw a straight line the left side of screen is lower then the right ? It’s not super bad, maybe rolling like 5-10 degrees below the x axis on the left . Using iPhone 8 normal,Moment lens and counterweight. Any tips or troubleshooting will help. Thanks

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

Have you turned on roll lock? I have the same issue if roll is unlocked.

as you can see in this video, at the end it shows that if the roll is unlocked and you put the move to sleep, it goes back to level.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kevin:
    Yeah, I've noticed that. Originally it was worse on my MCR, but then I realized that I had contributed to the problem because the iPhone was not squarely mounted in the jaws of the MCR....but it still shows a roll when unlocked.

I communicated the issue to FF developers when I first saw it and I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it will be corrected in the next beta release.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Wade Dannhauser

Yeah mine does the that. When it’s sleep mode it corrects to true. I also checked to see if it was mounted correctly in the mount and it was. But here’s a thing I tried. I tried it without the lens and counterweights and it still did it. But what I did then was move the phone more into the mount where it was directly middle and it didn’t do it. It’s definitely a balance issue. But what I get from what Andy said, it is fixable right ? And not a problem with my unit. I’m in South Africa and shipping it to you guys is a 3rd of what the movi costs

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Wade Dannhauser

Sure thing, if you could please just tell me exactly where to go, cause I’m lost sorry

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Wade: Just click on the link in Gary's posting and it tells you how to change your user name.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Kevin P Riley

Ummmm, if it was a balance issue you would notice it without the movi turned on. You are simply creating an imbalance to work around the situation. The video I showed...with the movi off, I can place the phone in any position and it stays in place. It is balanced. All that is happening now with the phone moved out of balance is the motors are working harder and your reducing battery life, not a bad trade off if it corrects the problem, my thing is I use the counterweight and moment lens, so that is not really an option for me, but since roll lock cures the issue....unless I have specific need for the movi to roll...I leave it locked.

9. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Posted on another thread as well:
    • "Is this an issue for you? Whole point of locking roll is to have horizon level, and whole point of unlocking is to NOT have horizon level."

10. Wade Dannhauser

The thing is, mine is doing the opposite of what you said. When I place the Movi on a flat even surface, The LOCKED roll is giving me an uneven horizon and when the roll is UNLOCKED is when the horizon becomes level.

11. Wade Dannhauser

My Movi is doing the opposite of whats happening this video.

12. Kevin P Riley

Could you post a video like mine.

13. Wade Dannhauser

Heres a video of my Movi. Apologies couldnt upload straight to here for some reason.

14. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

This is not a normal behavior.

Can you double check with iOS compass app. If you swipe to its second page, it has a level indication. It is not super reliable but might give an idea.

If you have Roll Locked, and your roll is not horizon level, then you should contact customer support.

15. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Identical to Wade the same happens with mine - already discussed here: #11 So you say it is NOT normal?

16. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

• Roll should be horizon level, if you have it in locked mode.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

One thing I've noticed is that it's quite easy to mount the iPhone so that it's not seated square to the jaws of the Movi CR. It's worth checking -- because the gimbal might be level, but the iPhone is not.

NOTE: I'm not saying that this is always the cause of the "not level when roll locked" issue -- I'm just observing that I fooled myself a couple of times because I'd not mounted the iPhone squarely. PEBMAC! (Problem exists between Movi and Chair -- namely, me!) :rolleyes:

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

18. Kevin P Riley

The pictures in your linked post show it is the opposite of Wade's issue, yours is level when the roll is lock, and not level when it is unlocked.

19. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Hi Kevin, right, it is the opposite. What does that mean for me? Is my issue more a "cosmetic" one and generally working correct or do you think it also needs a closer look?

20. Kevin P Riley

I think it is just cosmetic, if you want your horizon level...keep the roll locked.