/dist/images/branding/favicon

Features Request

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Brandon Hoffman, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Brandon Hoffman

Brandon Hoffman New Member

First, I really like the Movi so far. I came from the SmartQ and this thing is way way better. It's in a whole different league

I wanted to list some of the features that would be most helpful after getting the opportunity to play with this for a bit

1) Slow Motion
    2) More options on the time lapse. For instance how much I want to compress time.
    3) Follow Mode. Set an object and keep the camera locked on it
    4) Photo Mode - Take a photo

Hopefully some of these are already in the works.

Rob Hargreaves and Steve Huether like this.
  2. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

1) Isn't' this already there, tap FPS near the shutter in Majestic mode. Mine (iPhone X) gives 4k at 24/30/60 and 1080p at 120/240.
    2) Tap "duration" and adjust as needed, is that what you're wanting?
    3) Agreed, I've been missing this from the Oslo Mobile. I believe it is in the works. This is so handy in some situations!!!!
    4) I was thinking this would be handy too. Would be a bit easier to snap one from with in the app vs having to switch to another app. Though I'm sure some will say this is more focused on video and there's lots of great camera apps out there lol.

#2 Steve Huether, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Rob Hargreaves likes this.
  3. Brandon Hoffman

Brandon Hoffman New Member

5) Adding Zoom to the list

I think 1) Is only in the beta - 2) Is that what duration does? - I thought that was in reference to the A/B movement

4. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

1) Could be. Though I thought beta just changed how it cycles through the FPS options instead of giving a popup window to pick?
    2) In TL mode, Shooting Duration is Target Clip Length multiplied by Time Compress Factor. Check out more detail here

5. Haidar Mu'ien

Haidar Mu'ien New Member

1) It's in both Stable and Beta releases, you can toggle between 24/60/120/240 for 1080p and 24/60 for 4K (iPhone 8), if you're using older iPhone you may not get 240fps.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

Wouldn’t mind a still photo mode with some sort of auto panorama/stich mode. Could it shoot enough still frames for a 360 photo?

7. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Due to not having full 360 rotation I don't think it would be able to shoot enough for full 360x180 photosphere without moving or rotating the rig a bit to get the handle out of the shot. It would be handy to have some photo and pano options, the Osmo+ would shoot and stitch a 9x9 set of photos and it worked well.

I played with 360x180s a bit on the Osmo+, while it did ok, it was a lot of hassle and the quality didn't justify the nuisance for me. I did find a great way to do photoshperes with a GoPro though. And with Hero5/6 they come out extremely clear and detailed. I shoot with the Pano5in1 Mark 2. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pano5plus1-mark2#/

8. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Here are a few fanciful pie in the sky ideas. (Ideas are cheap.. execution is hard.)

An Apple WatchOS app to change settings on the Movi? I don't have an Apple Watch, but it'd be kind of interesting to see a watchOS app to change response speed, windows, freeze, tilt and roll on the Movi. The benefits being that users could use whatever filming app they want.

A lot of people have more than one iOS device. (I know Filmic Pro has a remote app for example) It'd be pretty awesome to have some kind remote app for driving the Movi using a finger to direct the camera while mounted on the tripod, or maybe like the Freefly Mimic?

9. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Some interesting ideas for sure. I do have a the Watch, and while I like this idea, I don't think the capabilities are there. Yet. With S4 coming soon and some of the WatchOS updates, theres a lot more that it will be able to do in the next few years. I have the Series 3 watch and while its great for basic things, its rather slow for live control type things. The GoPro app for example is basically unless because its too slow and clumsy(could be due to GoPro's lack of focus on it). The Camera Remote view/trigger is handy but only in situations where the phone is mounted/propped up. One thing would be usability, the watch needs a free hand to operate, and wrist tilted towards user to see and manipulate screen. In almost every way I've tried holding the Movi, the watch is facing away from me no matter which wrist it is on. Not trying to rain on your ideas! I think there is potential here, just need time to get the watch more evolved I think.

One thing that would be handy, if the Movi app stayed awake in the background to respond to trigger inputs. Say you could setup a Echo A-B move in Movi app, then switch to your app of choice to record, then use the trigger to start the movement.

Second device would be AWESOME! Especially in situations where Movi is tripod mounted, often out of reach. Full remote control/view would be amazing!

John Chu likes this.
  10. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

That would be interesting. It could sort of be a robotic Gigapan for shooting Gigapixel panoramas-- but there isn't any good tele lens for the iPhone.
    The biggest problem would be that the iPhone camera lens needs to rotate on its nodal center for best results.

11. Neil McCarthy

Neil McCarthy New Member

One app to rule them all please. Video and Stills and Gimbal.

Decide if audio is in or out. It's out for me, as the phone hasn't the multiple audio mixing input hardware to lay down tracks, and the single input EQ metre just wastes screen estate.

If adding stills please remember to share all the manual settings between video and stills, as a lot of the settings are common. It's the same lens and sensor at the end of the day, and the iPhone native camera app shows the way to go (Movi is using the apple API, I assume?).

A Freefly Movi stabilised still, in poor light might help in achieving a sharp focus with lower ISO noise, if a reason is needed to justify why what started as gimbal interface software needs to add stills to it's ever expanding portfolio.;)

If you are going to add manual settings, don't make the same mistake as other apps. Please make sure you have the user story correct for shooting. You setup for the duration of a shoot at a location, not for a single still capture, or a single take. The location itself is usually very stable for the duration of the shoot.

All the manual settings need to be persistent (even if the app is closed), until you change them - just like they are on an SLR - you turn the physical dials on the camera body - click, click, lock - job done for the whole shoot. Very frustrating to set everything up and then have to do it all again because the software has moved back into Auto mode. The SLR dials don't click themselves back to auto settings, why do a lot of the apps?

One more - I still use my old grey card to set the white balance. Not sure why setting the white balance from a still image of your grey card (or Expodisc over the lens) hasn't been adopted from the SLR world. Simple, accurate, quick, and difficult to get wrong. Also, gives you a grey reference for the post processing workflow. So, another reason for combining the ability to take stills.

Panoramas - isn't that a barrel roll technique, but on the pan (horizontal) axis, the magic bit is the software converting it into a single image. :D

Using log - comments circulating imply the iPhone API cannot provide a native log output - or even what the sensor actually saw - i.e. RAW? Interesting, I think the native camera app takes 20+ ultra quick image captures then selects / combines to build the legendary sharp focus, and exposure, not just to build HDR composites, or did I just dream that I read that somewhere?

This might be one of the reasons manual overrides can give worse results, especially in poor light as seen in lack of focus sharpness. Apple magic at work, no doubt optimised for the phone sensor and glass they use. I've seen the native camera app face detection fail comprehensively, working spot on until swapping to the Moment fisheye lens with no other changes.

Makes you wonder exactly what apple have done to get such good output, and how much you can actually achieve messing with what's in front of the sensor (e.g. zoom lenses only sharp in the centre), or especially downstream (re-process it to look like a flat log file).

I don't see any point Freefly (or anyone else) wasting resources adding manual settings, if they will never improve on the apple algorithms and techniques. Better to have the native app with gimbal features added to it, if that is possible. Exposure of course needs to be locked somehow, for the take, Apple seems to have overlooked this important factor, or want to leave the door open for 3rd Parties.

Rafo Tomic likes this.
  12. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

In addition to a lot of the things in this thread....
    Follow Mode/Tracking
    Photo Mode
    panorama/stich mode
    Log
    customizable buttons
    separating focus and exposure lock

Option for a histogram on the screen, I sometimes have an issue with setting the exposure in the bright sunlight, being able to see a graphical display of the image brightness would save me time and effort.

#12 Kevin P Riley, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. Neil McCarthy

Neil McCarthy New Member

I tried to transfer files from my iPhone today, using iTunes. I was expecting to see the Movi app listed in the file transfer section, but it wasn't showing? Could be operator error. I used image capture instead as I do not like to have to use the Apple Photos app. So, would be nice to have the Movi app offering file transfers in iTunes.

Edit - also used Movilapse today for the first time. I see what people mean, it just doesn't turn corners o_O and so isn't much use. Supercool in a straight line, hides my up/down walking bounce a treat. Roll on a re-design.

#13 Neil McCarthy, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  14. Rick Bronks

Absolutely NO use or purpose for log - it can't happen on an iPhone as discussed in other threads. The colour bit depth isn't there and nor is the robustness of the file.
    All you get with log - is a fake flat profile that you end up putting back to how it was. You will NOT gain anything by doing this on a smartphone. It's a false economy.

15. Kevin P Riley

Perhaps log isn't the best term, but there has to be something better than the original IOS file, maybe I don't understand how it works, certainly possible, but the movi app should be able to take the raw image/file from the sensor and apply or not apply whatever profiles it wants/can. I find it hard to believe what I am getting now Is the raw file from the camera sensor.

Also, I do not end up putting it back to the way it was. I end up putting it to the way I think it should be, same as I do with the given file now. Both edits probably introduce artifacts, its a matter of which one does the least damage, personally I'd like the leeway to explore that myself, then take yours or someone else's word on it. I can do that with filmic pro, but prefer to have all the movi options available to me by using their app.

16. Rick Bronks

Can't. No one can intercept the image pipeline. It's locked down. You will never get a raw file from the sensor in the iPhone. Apple wont allow it - please see the other threats for when I gave a very detailed explanation why. Filmic doesn't do this either. It just gives you a higher bitrate which DOES make a small difference in editing and getting more information from the sensor BUT ultimately - whatever an app does the camera is always going to record to an MP4.

17. Kevin P Riley

It turns corners, just not too quickly, takes some practice, also reframe is in the beta version of the app and gives you majestic responsiveness while you hold down the trigger, much smoother not using reframe, but it is handy for some situations.

For file transfer off my phone, I use airdrop or I use a sandisk "expand drive". the flash drive allows transfer to windows or Mac.

18. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Freefly is doing a six part live instructional series on the Movi that is available on YouTube. One of the uploads (I think it’s Part 3) deals with Movilapse and turns.

Neil McCarthy likes this.
  19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you try using the trigger during the Movilapse to cause it to "reframe?" This video shows how:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

20. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Andy,

The recent Freefly Live episode that I referred to above (I think it’s Part 3) explains all this in detail. It’s much better than the earlier video you link to, which I found left me none the wiser about how to actually use reframe.