/dist/images/branding/favicon

Fault with Radian module

Discussion in 'Radian' started by alec_caton, Jan 14, 2013.

1. alec_caton

alec_caton New Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has suffered a faulty Radian module? We've spent an age trying to set-up our Radian to the PC, checking the FFUSB, battery power etc. I've connected the other two Radian modules with ease (they communicate with the PC) but the faulty one seemed to take 30 seconds before the green LED switched on and then continued to do nothing!

Now I don't even appear to get the green LED when connected to power!

Any ideas?
    Cheers chaps!

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

If you use the firmware update tool does it connect? It should give you the serial numbers of the Radian Module.

Josh

3. Colin

Colin Member

Yes we have and continue to have trouble. Ive placed a link in C300 mounting

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin: Did you mean to post this here? It seems a bit of a non-sequitur and I suspect you intended it for another thread?
    Andy.

5. Colin

Colin Member

I believe the opening thread asks the question, if anyone else has suffered a faulty Radian module? It was a very brief reply to confirm the writer is not alone anymore.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh, he said, faintly. Sorry....Now I see what you mean!
    Andy.

7. Colin

Colin Member

Forum readers. Please Please help. As you are aware we have had a really bad experience with our skyjib and cinestar gimbal to date. Incidents involving faulty DJI units, which nearly caused a write off on the first flight, undercarriage push rods breaking 2nd flight (before take-off) and several failures with the radian units, never mind appalling vibration on video. Not a great start to a new business endeavour, never mind the additional expense, stress and failure to complete photographic commissions with a deadline.
    I have just received our gimbal back, once again from Heliguy, having replaced another faulty PAN unit. This radian had a mind of its own and was uncontrollable. This new radian is the third unit for PAN to be installed since November 2012. We have had four flights to date.
    Being excited to get some work covered this weekend I have installed the gimbal back onto the Skyjib. On powering up the gimbal, PAN unit now works albeit in default, as does ROLL. TILT now fails to function using the transmitter but is stable.
    Ben the Heliguy technician, removed the old faulty PAN unit. Removed the working tilt radian into the PAN axis and installed the new Radian onto TILT. A bit extreme but he's the professional. All radian indication lights are static on all units.
    With the TILT unit now being new it could be that Slew is off and a simple update in config would return the radian to its full operational state. I connected the TILT radian to computer using COM port 10 and when I pressed connect the amber light flashed once. The new unit failed to connect to computer and the comms box remained red coloured. I tried several times to connect. On each depression the amber led flashed once but refused to connect with the computer. I tried the same with PAN, same result, failed to connect and then I tried ROLL. At last a connection with ROLL was established. Now surely that tells me the computer is now speaking with radian so its not a computer comms port issue.
    I tried PAN and TILT again to no avail. Still no communication. I tried different ways to reconnect all had the same result, no connection. Re-check with ROLL, its still communicating.
    I had an idea to go into bootloader mode. With static leds in bootloader mode I again tried to communicate via com port 10 with both PAN and TILT. We were looking at 'no responce' to both radian units.
    I contacted Heliguy, they are at a loss stating everything worked prior to posting and suggested we ask for help via the forum. Furthermore on the recommendations of the professionals within this forum they will replace whatever needs replacing.
    So we ask for your help. Tabb if your out there we would appreciate your direct input.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Colin: It sounds like the problem might not be the Radians, but with your PC/Windows/COM port setup -- I just don't see it being three Radian sensors that are bad.

Before I suggest some strategies, it would be very helpful to know whether you're running Windows XP, 7, or 8.

Thanks
    Andy.

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin

I'll probably use the wrong terminology but after you connect your com port to the Radian can you go into Device Manager and make sure that it is Com 10, the default for the Radian software? On my VMWare virtual machine on my Mac i found it was coming up on Com 13. It was easy to force it to Com 10. Also if you start up Device Manager before you plug in the Radian, on connection you should see the Ports area update. If you don't see that then perhaps the driver is missing.

Lastly perhaps check with Heliguy and find out if he was able to connect and program the radians in their shop with their computer.

10. Colin

Colin Member

Andy/Gary, Thanks for the reply. Our laptop is operating with Windows XP.
    Comm Port is defaulted to 10. I can see that via Control panel>System>Device manager etc. I can also see that the USB within Ports is comm 10 when I plug/unplug the USB cable. Its the same for all radians.
    What I don't understand is how the computer software can communicate with the ROLL radian but not with the new TILT module or with PAN the old tilt radian.
    I have already been in contact with Heliguy who say that all was good prior to mailing.
    All comments to assist us are greatly appreciated.

11. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Colin,

If you can take a video that would be most helpful for the team here to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

12. Colin

Colin Member

Hi Tabb, Thanks for the contact. What would you need me to video to help best. All I can show is ROLL communicating and TITL/PAN remaining unconnected. I'll do whatever you need to resolve the issue as we now have a further shoot booked in for next week. Fingers crossed.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry, Colin. My mistake. In my haste I thought you were unable to communicate with all three Radians. The fact that you can with one, but not the other two renders my comments moot (as does your ability that you see a USB Serial Device in the COM & LPT section of the Device Manager).

I'll let Tabb reply to your question.
    Andy.

14. Colin

Colin Member

Not an issue. Just running some video off now. I have also established that the ROLL can be moved by hand no great force to hold the axis in position.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Really? Hmm. That's not right. It suggests that the servo is not powered up....does it hold the gimbal level when you displace the gimbal?

Andy.

16. Colin

Colin Member

Andy no. And control to roll is now gone from our TX I'll post a video once i can work out how to get it from my phone
    No power going to ROLL servo now.

17. Colin

Colin Member

Tabb, Ive forwarded 5 email videos to your email address info@freeflysystems etc

18. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin,

As a simple test can you do the following with tilt and roll radians. Unplug everything but the servo for each axis which needs to be on port 4. Then plug 5V power into port 6 and report what happens?

19. Colin

Colin Member

I'll grab a battery from a heli. I have have to charge it for a while

20. Colin

Colin Member

On TILT, the green light flashes very quickly, followed by one flash of amber then static green followed by the servo powering up.
    On ROLL, the green light flashes very quickly, followed by a static green with the amber flashing very quickly. Nothing else.
    On PAN, the green light flashes very quickly, followed by a slower flashing green. Nothing else.
    Each unit has given a different result, I didn't expect that.