/dist/images/branding/favicon

Firmware Update failed about driver

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Peter Fischer, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Peter Fischer

Peter Fischer New Member

Hello,

I can't update my Mövi Controller.

System OSX 10.13.5
    Installed driver FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_4_2

I started the "Mövi Controller updater" and selecting my controller port. Then I selected the new firmware file.
    (movi_controller_3_2_1)
    Then I got the message that I have to take care about the correct driver. (see att. pictures)

I hope that someone cane help me.

Thank you in advance!

Peter

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-01 um 17.29.14.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-01 um 17.38.19.jpg

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Peter:

Can you confirm that you:

1. Are using a USB data cable (there are many cables in the world that are just USB charging cables). (If there's any doubt, can you try connecting the cable to your back and some other USB devices (e.g. external disk) and make sure that it mounts on the Mac's desktop?)
    2. Are connecting to the upper-most USB connector on the back of the MoVI controller.

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Peter Fischer

Peter Fischer New Member

Hi Andy,

I can confirm both! The connection is not the problem. As you can see on the att. pictures, the controller comunicated with the Mac.
    The message is a message from the updater in relation to the driver.

Best regards

Peter

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Peter:
    Aieee.....sorry....I was completely wrong. It is the lower-most USB connector on the MoVI controller that should be using! Apologies -- evidently the morning coffee has not kicked in.

See the image here:

https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-MōVI-Controller-

Sorry about that -- can you try that and see if it makes a difference.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Peter Fischer

Peter Fischer New Member

As I wrote, that's not the problem! I used the correct port. That's the reason why the controller communicate with the updater.
    I did everything like subscribe in the update manual.

Have a wonderful day!

Peter

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

If you're on Facebook, you can try posting your issue on one of the Freefly Movi groups, where you'll likely get more responses. I've seen a number of Movi Controller Firmware-update related issues recently. Of course, Freefly Support will open tomorrow, and you should send an email there as well. Good luck!

7. Peter Fischer

Peter Fischer New Member

Hi Graham,

Thank you very much!
    I hope Freefly will solve this problem shortly especcialy when there are so many update issues.

Best regards

Peter

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Peter:

I spent an hour messing around with various FTDI USB drivers and I consistently (with one exception) get the same problem you do (running on a Mac Book Pro 2017 with High Sierra).

The exception was that once, when I got the error message shown in your first image, I did as instructed (disconnect both the power cable and the USB cable) from the MoVI Controller and it actually did succeed in doing the firmware update.

However, apart from that one occasion -- and I tried about 20 times -- they all failed.

Have you already opened up a support ticket with Freefly? Be advised that Tuesday July 4 is a national holiday in the USA, but I believe FF is open on Monday.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

Peter Fischer likes this.
  9. Peter Fischer

Peter Fischer New Member

Thank you Andy!

I will try it again 20 times and more as instructed and hope it runs.
    In the meantime I opened a support ticket. :)

Best regards

Peter

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Let me know what you find -- I have no idea what I did differently for that one instance where the update worked. I had previously updated to firmware 3.2.1 (some months back) without any issues whatever, so I don't know what's different now.

What version of Mac OS are you using? My tests were done with 10.13.3 (High Sierra) and I tried all of the versions of the FTDI USB driver included in the zip file from FF.

The fact that I got it to work even once suggests that it's an app/OS/driver/MoVI Controller timing error...

Cheers
    Andy

11. Peter Fischer

Peter Fischer New Member

Hello Andy,

with the help of the Freefly support I can solve the problem and it works.

That's the recommendation:

"• Make sure you are using the black USB/USB data cable that came with the MoVI Controller.
    You cannot use a standard USB/USB cable.
    You cannot use a USB adapter.
    • Make sure you have removed the IDX battery from the MoVI Controller, and that the MoVI Controller power switch is in the OFF position, BEFORE you plug in the USB data cable, and perform the firmware update.
    • Make sure the .BIN file is NOT in the downloads folder.
    • Make sure you are not running the app from the downloads folder.
    • If you have been using a Mac laptop/desktop, try using a different USB port, as power distribution will vary between ports, especially if you have an older Mac.
    • Did you install the correct (FTDI) Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers may be out of date. Please make sure by visiting the direct link HERE
    • Again, before you start the firmware update process, make sure the IDX battery has been removed from the MoVI Controller, and the MoVI Controller power switch is in the OFF position.
    • With the IDX battery removed and the power switch in the off position, when you plug in the USB/USB cable, the LCD screen on the MoVI Controller should power up using the USB port power. Please be aware that some older computers have USB ports that will not supply the required amps to power the MoVI Controller on. If you plug the USB cable in, and the LCD screen doesn't light up, that means the USB port is not supplying enough power, and you may need to either change USB ports, or use another computer."

Best regards

Peter

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

My experiments showed that with a standard USB/USB cable, MoVI Controller battery removed and switched off:

MacBook Pro 2014, OS Sierra, FTDI driver installed in 2014. Good old FTDI doesn't seem to provide a means of determining what version of their drivers were installed and the System Report just has a blank where every other software shows its version number. I daren't install a new driver for fear of breaking what already works. :(

With the above configuration, the 1.0 MoVI Controller worked without fail provided that you loaded the app afresh each time. The app is not idempotent -- you cannot run an update a second time without reloading the app.​

MacBook Pro 2017, OS High Sierra, FTDI 2.4.2 installed. Note, for this configuration I had to use a Sinstar USB-C to USB-3 dongle, so that could be part of the problem. I didn't have a USB-C male to USB 2 or 3 type A cable to hand.

The above configuration worked once in about 30 attempts. Failed with the dialog box instructing you to unplug the USB cable and plug it in again. Beyond that one time it worked, I was unable to get it to work again. Note this used the same cable as for the MacBook Pro 2014/OS Sierra but with the USB-C to USB dongle.​

I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but it reeks of USB driver incompatibility or a timing/protocol handshaking issue.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™