/dist/images/branding/favicon

Hoodie - missing a trick

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Bronks, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

Hi,
    Just got my hoodie and counterweights today so now I can really get going.
    I really think there should have been a cold- shoe adapter in the hoodie bag.

Surely cold-shoe would make a lot more sense.

I tried from my other kit and the problem is the screw is too long so the top show spins - I'll need to cut the screw or get some washers to put between.

OR - have it to you can screw in any adapter that is used for cheese-plates on rigs. I have loads but they need to go into a female 1/4" thread- so a bolt inside the hoodie locked in would have been better.

FYI I ordered one of these hoping the screw wont be too long.

Are all the hoodies 3D printed to order? Seems to be this way!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RD4K9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Did you receive two 1/4” screws? I did. One was very slightly too long, the other was perfect. If you got two, try the other one.

I commented on the same issue a few sentences from the top of this post: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/setting-up-using-the-movi-hoodie.12380/

#2 Rorick Edge, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  3. Rick Bronks

4. Rorick Edge

Try it. Mine looked the same, but they weren’t. There was a very slight but significant difference.

5. Rick Bronks

The 'gap' is a good few mm and there's not that big a difference in the screws...

6. Rorick Edge

I thought the same until I tried it.

7. Rick Bronks

I checked both screws. Mine are identical. they are longer than the cold-shoe I'm mounting so there's no way they will work. Unless they put 2 the same in my bag and everyone else has different?

8. Rorick Edge

All I can tell you is that in my case, they looked the same but one seemed to be very slightly longer. It worked with a Novoflex miniature ball head, but only the smaller worked with a Manfrotto TwistGrip mobile phone mount.

Maybe I was lucky, but it’s kind of odd that Freefly would include duplicate 1/4” screws but not duplicate 2mm screws. In my case, the 1/4” screws were not the same.

#8 Rorick Edge, Jun 22, 2018
  9. Rick Bronks

What's the 2mm - for the cable clip?

I get the impression they've cut some corners on this and had a load 3D printed and then put the packets together themselves. I guess it's a niche product?

10. Rorick Edge

Yes, the 2mm is for the cable clip. The clip and the screw go on the bridge between the two top motors. If that sentence isn’t clear, there’s a Freefly video on putting together the Hoodie.

#10 Rorick Edge, Jun 22, 2018
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It seems that some accessories have differing lengths of thread and that makes the 1/4 x 20's provided be too long. I had to grind one of mine 1/4 x 20's down. Check Message #3 here: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/movi-mount-accessory-options.12361/#post-84253 -- Darrin found some cold-shoe adapters that work with the current 1/4 x 20's.

FF is aware of the problem (several folks have found the same issue, depending on the accessory).

Here's the installation video that Rorick referred to: https://gomovi.com/tutorials?v=accessory-mount

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

12. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

I hope this makes sense, the cold shoe mounts I have (https://smile.amazon.com/Neewer-Bla...desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi) are perfect for me. The hoodie screw is a slight bit too long to tighten the cold shoe to the hoodie in a fixed permanent position, there is a minor space between the cold shoe and the hoodie. With this minor space, you can swivel the cold shoe without causing the screw to loosen. The swivel is with friction, so it stays where you swivel it to. It works perfectly for me because with a mic mounted on the Movi, when I place it in my Peak Design sling, I can rotate the mic to the side to fit in the bag and not have to remove it.

13. Rick Bronks

I've just ordered a couple of options from Amazon - a set of 1/4" screws of three different lengths and a couple of different cold-shoe adapters. Why FF didn't just sell it with an adapter is a bit silly - for the price too.

All they needed to do was to make the insert threaded and we can use anything that has the 1/4" - I have loads of accessories for my cheese plates that would work just fine.

14. Rick Bronks

Nailed it. Cold shoe from somewhere- but orders a pack of different sized 1/4” smallrig screws and the shortest one won!

Attached Files:

15. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Ohhh good idea! I've got a couple cold shoes from my Osmo. That would make it much easier to change accessories.

16. Rick Bronks

17. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

18. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

This worked perfect! The cold shoe from osmo comes with a short tapered screw. I was able to tighten it enough so it sunk into the underside of the hoodie and clears the top of the handle. The cold shoe even had little guide knobs that lined up perfect with the little notches on hoodie to lock it in place. I’ll add some pics later if anyone is curious.

I have the standard version but looks like they make a rotatable version as well.
    https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-rotatable-cold-shoe-for-universal-mount

19. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

Hey Steve, do you know if the female side is the standard 1/4”-20?

20. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Of the DJI cold shoe? Yep standard 1/4-20 tripod thread.