/dist/images/branding/favicon

Airplaine Travel With A Movi Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Jeff Milton, May 8, 2018.

1. Jeff Milton

Jeff Milton New Member

Hi,

I have an upcoming shoot to the Mojave Desert using my Movi Pro. It's a short flight in and out in one day and I have a number of people traveling with me. I'm worried about checking it in and getting stolen. Does anyone have advice on the best way to carry on a Movi Pro? Any good bags to pack the gimbal and carry the ring separately?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

If you have the budget I would send it air freight instead of checking it as a bag. Air freight right from the airport, UPS or FedEx is a lot more secure than checking bags.

You may be hard-pressed to get the gimbal stuffed into a bag small enough to carry on. I haven't tried but I have had a pelican case I use for lenses rejected at the gate twice because it didn't fit in the box they have there to check your carry on luggage. It's about 1/2 inch too wide, but it fits in every overhead compartment I've ever tried. I don't know if gate checking a bag is more secure than standard baggage.

If you can squeeze the MovI Pro it into a legal carry-on bag they might let you just carry the ring but you would probably have to gate check the ring. When I'm pressed for space I just take the MōVI Pro Classic Handle and leave the ring at home.

You have to prepare for trouble when flying with your batteries. Make sure you get some LIPO bags for them. I have a bunch of these: Fireproof Battery Bag Lipo Charging Storage Bag

There are different size options on the Amazon page. You cannot check the batteries. When I travel with lots of gear, if it is at all possible I send someone ahead in my SUV with the gear. In the long run, it is less expensive and I'm never on set without the right stuff in the bag.

3. DC Chavez

DC Chavez New Member

I travel with mine all over the world... I got a Jason Cases case that allows you to leave it assembled, only having to take out the 4 screws on the top handle. No worries with checking at all... My suggestion would be to get some of those TSA cable locks if you want to prevent prying eyes...

EDIT: To mirror what comment above said- carry your batteries on board with you...

4. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

I fly with my Movi Pro Kit all the time I got a SKB 1706 case to carry on my batteries.

I use the Jason Case and check it all the time no problems. I have not traveled out of the country though.

I've been meaning to get TSA locks but keep forgetting. Just got my kit back from Southwest yesterday from Texas and no problem.

5. Ryan Holdridge

I'm still using the original travel case. Not ideal because of the size/handle placement but it gets the job done. 90% of our jobs require a flight to the location and we haven't really had an issues checking the case.

6. DC Chavez

DC Chavez New Member

I have a brand new Jason Cases case for sale if you're interested.. Brand new in box... I had a shipping delay through UPS when I originally bought it, so overnighted another one to make my shoot and when I got back, the other one had arrived... Let me know if you're interested.. https://www.jasoncases.com/store/product/movi-pro-case/

7. Josh Birch

Josh Birch New Member

Anyone got any pics of custom cases they’ve made that accommodate the MōVI with the ignite digi upgrades?