/dist/images/branding/favicon

Echo Mode

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Michael Storey, May 20, 2018.

1. asal.mosavi

asal.mosavi New Member

2. Michel Corbin

Michel Corbin New Member

I remembered Vincent Laforet’s Hawaii shoot from circa 2010 had a remote control helicopter. I found the behind the scenes video and sure enough there’s Tabb - https://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/Laforet-Videos/Hawaii/Making-Waves/i-HH6sJJw

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Asal: Your link to the web page in Farsi is less than clear. It appears to be a link discussing Tehranpars Computer Services and seems out of place for this forum. What are you asking, please?

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. markcook

markcook New Member

This has been a helpful thread, but honestly I'm still confused as to why this feature was developed to work the way it does—where the user needs to fight the motors. I'm especially confused considering the Timelapse mode functions in a much more logical way.

How Timelapse Works (and Echo A—B should work):
    1. Manually move the camera to position A
    2. Let go (MOVI holds the position) and press the trigger to set position A
    3. Manually move the camera to position B
    4. Let go (MOVI holds the position) and press the trigger to set position B
    5. MOVI quickly moves back to position A and is ready to go
    The issues I have with the way Echo A—B mode currently works:
    1. MOVI does not hold the position when the user lets go—it is continually fighting to get back to 'forward'
    2. After setting position B, MOVI tries to immediately move back to position A—which makes sense—but this is a problem since my hand is still on it trying to hold it in position B.
    This seems like something that could easily be remedied with an update since the logic is already there for Timelapse. To be clear, this isn't about not hurting the motors, it's about creating a much better user experience.

5. Goran Jorganovich

I have the same problem.
    I have the same problem. Hmmm :-( The whole gimbal just shuts down if I move camera against the holding power. Why not to make possible to define A and B position in Echo mode then press trigger third time to start motors.

#25 Goran Jorganovich, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Goran: Are the Movi's batteries fully charged? It certainly should not shut down if they are, but, if the charge is low, it could be that the extra power required to resist your hand motion is sufficient to make the battery voltage sag below a critical threshold and it shuts down.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

After playing with it a bit, I agree completely! The timelapse mode method of setting points A and B is perfect, being able to manually move the gimbal around and it holds in that current position allowing you to set the point is awesome. The Echo mode is a challenge to accurately frame a point because the motors want to bring it back to forward position.

One thing I'm noticing is it seems most modes have been thought through with the Movi in handheld mode. Some of the settings, like this, don't work well if the Movi is mounted on a tripod or sitting on a table. Love it overall though, and I have a feeling its going to evolve very well as they make updates.

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  8. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

I have to totally agree to Markcook and Steve, too - 100%

9. Goran Jorganovich

Thank you Andy. I experimented with Echo mode and I found out that solution is : you must have TILT and ROLL unlocked :) . Thanks and regards from Norway :)

10. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey guys,

This is a good idea and is on our feature backlog to look at! There are some issues to think through to make the user experience great.

For example

1. How do you decide when to have majestic control of echo, and when to have 'push' or smooth lock control?
    2. Would this be a user defined setting?
    3. Can we come up with an algorithm which detects if its set down and automatically adjust? I hate adding more settings for the users to have to remember
    Don't worry about hurting the Movi. We have done the worst things possible to it to make sure it was ready for primetime!

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ouch, Tabb -- those poor Movi's, the humanity.....

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

12. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Looks like you've tested it well! I expected nothing else. I've mounted mine on the nose of a fishing boat cruising through rough water at about 20 mph and it held up well, though I was a bit concerned about how tight the clamp holding the phone was. Sometimes wish there was a way to lock that a bit tighter...

I was thinking more about this, you want it to be as intuitive as possible without overwhelming the user with settings. As much as it might be the tougher upfront, I think an algorithm to detect when its been set down or mounted on a tripod would give the best user experience. Maybe a way to detect when someone grabs the gimbal to manually aim it and moves it more than a certain amount it? Could be useful to have a mount/set down detection algorithm for other functions in the future as well.

13. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

In that situation, I think I’d rig a safety wire with some string or thin wire and strong tape, particularly easy if you have a case for the phone. And a safety wire for the Movi too, depending on how securely it is mounted.

14. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe a piece of wire wrapped around the clamp to make sure it doesn't release... Movi is very secure, Rammount ball tripod adapter to Ram ball bolted to boat. I've used the same setup on a vehicle at 120kmh without issues(not with Movi... yet....)

Rorick Edge likes this.
  15. Brandon Hoffman

Brandon Hoffman New Member

How well this has been tested against breakage is good to know

16. markcook

markcook New Member

Hi Tabb! Super excited to hear this is in the backlog. I like the idea of a user-defined setting quite a bit because I would certainly use Echo mode both ways. What if you simply add another toggle next to 'Tilt' and 'Roll' to give users the ability to switch between Majestic or Free mode (not sure what you would call it, I'm just using 'Free' as the label for the mode that lets you position the camera without fighting the motors)?

17. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

18. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

You should be able to do as many circles as you want. You just need to ensure to set a duration that is long enough to catch the speed of turning many times and also ensure to turn back to the starting point manually after setting b point.