/dist/images/branding/favicon

Timelapse mode camera freeze

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App' started by Steve Huether, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

App V1.2.0 b118
    iPhone X on iOS 12 b1 yes I know this is beta iOS and unsupported, treat this report as an FYI note :)
    Movi firmware V1.2.2

I'm finding that most times when I activate the Timelapse mode the camera will freeze/stop working and I have to kill the app and re try. Launching non beta Movi app allows it to work fine.

Other modes seem to work fine.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Steve: I've not dare upgrade to iOS 12b1 -- but just out of curiosity does the iPhone X's Apple-supplied Camera app shoot timelapses OK?

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Hmmm I'm not sure but I'll give it a try.

4. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

@Andy Johnson-Laird yep reg camera works fine in timelapse mode. One thing I discovered is I can setup the timelape points in the Movi app, trigger to start the motion, then switch to another app and start recording timelapse and Movi will continue the move. Thats a handy trick

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Steve.

Yeah, the Movi motion control app really is separate from the video recording app.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Christian Polloni

Christian Polloni New Member

Hi,

Can I change the mode during the recording??
    Meaning for exemple:
    I begin with Majestic mode, switch to Movilapse mode, switch to Barrel Rolling and finish with an Orbit.
    All of that without stopping the recording.

Thanks.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Christian: No. When you start recording in Majestic Mode, the icon that you normally tap on to select the other modes (in Majestic Mode it looks like a small crown) disappears.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

8. Christian Polloni

Thanks Andy,

But do you think in the future??:)

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Christian: I'm not an FF employee (just a volunteer), so I'm not privy to any kind of future plans like that. What specifically are you trying to accomplish by keeping the shot rolling through a change from say, Majestic to Echo or Movilapse?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

10. Christian Polloni

Thanks Andy,

For example.
    A music video
    I shot my singer walking in the the street singing the song..I follow her with the movi...
    My shooting scene is long 1mns.
    My question was during this long footage can I change the mode?..
    Sorry for my english...:)

11. Christian Polloni

I am very interested to buy the Movi:
    1. Because the professionalism of the compagny.
    2. Because I believe the quality of filming with a cellphone will increase years after years.
    The Movi will be a nice tools for professional journalist or any video maker.
    3. I believe also the success story of this machine (Movi) is in the development of the application.

I think you have a nice product (Movi) and if I buy your machine (Movi) I gamble..:) meaning I wish and hope the development will be there...

Thanks again Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Christian:
    Your English is very good! I understand what you're trying to do. While I'm only a volunteer and not a Freefly employee, it's pretty clear that Freefly is actively developing the Movi CR and its associated software. That said, I do not know whether Freefly is planning to add the ability to change modes in the Movi CR app while the camera is recording. Tabb Firchau (the president and founder of Freefly) has already indicated in a YouTube video that they are working on an Applications Programming Interface (API) that will allow third party applications like Filmic Pro or Mavis to interoperate with the Movi CR in the future, but it's hard to predict which app vendor will choose to use the API and the features that they will incorporate.

So, the short answer is: Hard to know whether Freefly or anyone else will allow mode changes during a shot. In the interim, if you want to achieve almost the same effect you'll probably have to do multiple takes in different modes or, if that's too difficult, use several Movi CR simultaneously, each shooting in a different mode and then intercut the footage in post.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™