/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can I salvage iffy Movi Pro batteries?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by anthonysneed, Jun 11, 2018.

1. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

So I have 6 movi pro batteries, not sure which is the culprit. They are all the same age.

I just got 4 new ones but don't want to throw out the older 6. Is there a way I can check the battery health/reset/test them?

Feel silly disposing of 6 batteries.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Anthony: Probably the best way is "live fire" testing -- namely just power up the Movi Pro with them and see which are the "culprits" as you describe them.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

So once I find the culprits, are they good as dead? Just properly dispose of them, or is there any battery health/maintenance things I can do to bring them back to life? (not sure if thats possible with Lipos)

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good question. In my experience, unlike, say Ni-Cd chemistry (where you can "exercise" by charging/discharing the batt back to health), once a Lipo is trashed it's truly trashed. That said, I have over-discharged a couple of LiPos in the past and managed to coax them back to life by lying to the charger that they were Ni-Mh just to get the cell voltages back up to the point where I could then charge them as Lipos, but, honestly, I never ever trusted those Lipos fully again.

So the short answer is, purely based on my experiences: nope. If you think they're suspect, they probably are!

Not the message you wanted to hear, I realize, and I may well be wrong (but I'm rarely uncertain :rolleyes:) and other forum members may disagree -- as reasonable people do. I just view LiPo's a consumables and necessary evils -- I don't go out of my way to trash them, of course, but once they betray my trust, I use them for bench testing or paperweights. Some say that they're good as fire starters too....

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert