/dist/images/branding/favicon

Iftron FPV gear: OMG

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Steve Maller, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I've finally progressed to the point in my build/training/practicing with my CS8 that I was ready to go "under the hood" today for some FPV flying with my FatShark Predator goggles. I've used these with my quadcopter and its little 250mW transmitter and janky receiver along with their cloverleaf antennas. I've been able to squeak out close to 1/4 mile range with that setup, albeit with a ton of static and some anxious moments as I scramble to orient the bird in a way that'll restore reception. Not an altogether comfortable experience!

When I spec'd out and ordered my CS8 kit, I wanted the best FPV downlink available, so I got the 1.5W Mondo Extreme transmitter and the YellowJacket 5.8 USB Diversity Receiver, along with two 5.8GHz RHCP Patch Vitennas. I've been using a SmallHD LCD display for the last week or so because I wasn't ready to use the FatShark goggles yet, and I was just periodically checking the display, and it seemed good. So today I flew off from my back porch and headed to the nearby beach. Suffice it to say it was as if I was watching a good quality cable TV broadcast, not a wireless FPV downlink. Not a single scratch of static, and a very clear picture the whole time. I was at about 80-85 meters altitude, and was about 200-300 meters away, and it was as clear as it was sitting on my dining room table. I'm really astonished, but I guess I shouldn't be, as Kyle at Quadrocopter told me this was good s##t, and gosh darn it, he was right.

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Great to hear! We are not to happy with ours... It seems to work great at times... then like complete crap others... can you show how you have yours mounted? Thanks!

Josh

3. Steve Maller

Josh, so far I've had excellent results, although I haven't pushed this AT ALL. Just flying around up to 1/4 mile away. But like I said, what I've seen so far has been rock solid. I have the TX mounted on my tail gear with the antenna (the standard whip that came with it) pointed down.
    IMG_6233.JPG

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I thought about getting the 1.5 watt mondo but went with the 500 mw mondo instead. Whats the black looking connector in the picture pointing to the right middle of the picture. The picture cuts off some of the view of it.

5. Steve Maller

That's the LANC connector for the Sony CX760V. It's part of this MK product: http://www.quadrocopter.com/Sony-LANC-Ctrl-Camera-Remote-Control_p_624.html

6. Dave King

Steve I have the same setup as you except that I have the 500mw Mondo. I haven't tried it out with the Vitennas though. Were you using the stock antenna for the TX that was in the picture above for the test.

7. Steve Maller

The TX antenna is the little whip that came with the Stinger. I have a CP that I might try, but I'm pretty happy with the performance of this setup so far.

8. Dave King

The guy from Iftron said that the stock antenna combined with the vitennas was a popular combination. I bought a blue beam to try on the TX to compare the stock whip to.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you have Blue Beam for the RX too, Dave?

Andy.

10. Dave King

NO I got the Vintenna's for the RX. If I don't like the results I will get blue beams for the RX

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think you will end up the Blue Beams for the RX. The Blue Beams are right hand circularly polarized antenna and I don't think the Vintenna's are -- they may work, but I wouldn't bet on them working well. Square peg, round hole, etc.

Andy

12. Dave King

I just called Iftron support and they confirmed that the vintennas are indeed right hand circularly polarized and compatible with the blue beam TX.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Cool. Thanks for the info.
    Andy.

14. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Hey Josh,
    I had much better results when I mounted my Mondo(with blue beams pointed down) on boom 5. The video still has a little jitter but breaks up far less than when I had it mounted on the back leg. Boom 5 puts it more in open space.

JIm