/dist/images/branding/favicon

v1.2 Beta

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App' started by Deniz Ozgoren, May 4, 2018.

1. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Excited to announce Movi App v1.2. It includes new features such as White Balance settings and Movilapse Reframe trigger functionality. Go to gomovi.com/beta to start testing the app and checkout the full release notes. Let us know what you think!

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  2. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Hey Deniz, sounds great to finally get White Balance settings! Cause I'm no Testflight friend, what else is coming in 1.2? You say "...new features such as..." How about tracking objects or focus lock?

3. Frank Algermissen

4. John Woody

John Woody Member

Installed 1.2 Beta. The white balance addition is awesome. Just a quick note to support... having some miss and go access to the Main Menu. Have to depress a bit harder or just at the right place to access. Seems a bit more difficult to engage.

John M Woody

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  5. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Thanks for feedback! Looks like on some phones the Method toolbar on the top is covering part of the menu button. Not sure when it will be released, but it is now fixed!

6. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Running the beta since yesterday and took the MCR out for a swing and it worked with no issues. The WB controls are great. Since Filmic Pro is basically a gold standard for iPhone filming, I'm hoping the Movi app has or will match the quality possible bit rate for video and audio or at least give the user selectable options? (Framing guidelines--and in the future, Moondog Labs or Moment Lens Anamorphic Preview?)

7. Frank Algermissen

Any estimated release date of 1.2 ?

8. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

9. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

John, I've seen filmic having "extreme" bitrate options that produce file sizes that are way too large. Have you actually got any more image quality in practice? As far as I know, Movi App average bitrate is about 10mbps for 1080p, and 25mbps for 4K. This should be slightly higher than iOS Camera app, but still optimal in a way that it doesn't take up all your storage.

John Chu likes this.
  10. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Hmmmm....You are challenging my long-held belief and assumption that more of everything is better. :)

In my mind, Filmic Pro definitely produces images that look better than the stock camera and I do like having PCM-AIFF audio in the clips. But the clips from the Movi look very good too.

I guess maximizing what is possible from the camera is always nice to me. Having an option for both is great.

Thank you!

John Woody likes this.
  11. John Woody

John Woody Member

I used to use Filmic Pro but now I use the Mavis camera app. Started using it after a friend of mine from Apple showed me the app. I shoot everything with Mavis' 100mbit / 29.97/ 4K setting. The files are larger for sure. By the way... found a great free app that provides all the metadata of any video clip on the iPhone.. Pretty intensive... Photo Investigator. I'm away from the Movi now but will test when I get back home. I did find two similar length video shots from my West Virginia shoot. Each was about 12 seconds long. One was shot using the Movi app and the other was shot using Mavis. The Movi clip was about 45mb. The Mavis clip was 148mb in size. It may be large... but the image quality in 4K is stunning.
    John Woody
    Retired Professor
    Apple Distinguished Educator

Darrin Altman and John Chu like this.
  12. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I just looked at some footage from my new iPhone 6S in 4K mode with the Movi app and I have to agree.. it looks fine and maybe boosting the bitrate beyond what is from the Movi app is just diminishing returns.
    Thanks for the clarification.

#12 John Chu, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  13. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

After you recommended Mavis in a different post I tried it and haven’t used Filmic Pro since. I find getting proper exposure so much faster and easier. Filmic Pro disables the zebra assist with 4K while Mavis does not. I also find setting a custom WB a quicker process.

John Woody likes this.
  14. John Woody

John Woody Member

It’s an awesome app. Again only for majestic mode. I especially like it because I can confirm audio recording / vu readings when shooting. I was shooting some test close up shots indoors yesterday and it is really nice to be able to turn the iPhone light from the app. Can’t remember if this can be done with Filmic. Been getting accustomed to the viewfinder aspect framing overlays with opacity settings. Supper handy for some post production needs.
    John M. Woody
    Professor Emeritus