/dist/images/branding/favicon

App not working on iPhone 8

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Simon Gromer, May 17, 2018.

1. Simon Gromer

Simon Gromer New Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have had problems with the Movi app for iPhone 8?

I just got the Movi about an hour ago. I've download the app however, when I launch it, it doesn't start. It shows me the Movi logo and then the app shuts down.

Any workarounds? New version releases in the pipeline?

My trouble shooting procedure has been.
    Checking my iOS version (it's the latest 11.3.1)
    Installing the app and restarting my iphone
    Checked with another iphone (same issue there btw)
    Deleting the app, restarting my phone, re installing the app and restarting my phone.

Still nothing...

#1 Simon Gromer, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

How about connecting both? Sorry, my MOVI is not with me so on the second screen you normally see the device (instead of my screenshot which is empty)

IMG_62F31199B6B5-1.jpeg

3. Simon Gromer

Simon Gromer New Member

Unforunately I’m not even able to get into the app.
    When clicking the app icon the Movi logo shows and then the app crashes.

4. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

This must be an issue with your iPhone / iOS then. Sad to hear. Hope newstart the phone will help

5. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I'm also on iOS 11.3.1 and the Movi app is working fine on an iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro 10.5"

6. Alessandro Garabaghi

Please make sure you have 'Hearing Aid Compatibility' disabled under iOS Settings>General>Accessibility. There is currently a bluetooth bug in iOS 11 that is known to cause performance issues with 3rd party apps.

Rob Warren likes this.
  7. Simon Gromer

Simon Gromer New Member

Again - the app won’t even start for me but I have checked your advice and that option is switched off.

Thanks

8. Simon Gromer

Simon Gromer New Member

Here’s a screen cap of what it looks like.
    I’ve reached out to the app developers @ Movi and I’m getting some really solid help but nothing seems to be helping.
    Perhaps a factory reset is the next thing to try..

Attached Files:

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

10. Rorick Edge

Gary, the guy just received a Movi and can’t get the app to function.

With respect, maybe Freefly should be more concerned about that than what he is using as a user name.

11. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Andy is a volunteer moderator on our forum and is doing his duty to maintain order here. As Simon noted, Freefly Tech Support is actively working to solve the issue he is having with his app.

12. Rorick Edge

Sorry Bryan, but I don’t see the threat to “order”.

First of all, you don’t even seem to know who posted. It wasn’t Andy, unless he is using two names on this forum.

I would have thought that the person who did post - one Gary Haynes, who identifies himself as a staff member - is capable of speaking for himself, without your assistance, whoever you are.

Secondly, what I see is a customer with a problem receiving, in the circumstances, a gratuitous and irrelevant response to a legitimate issue.

If you seriously don’t see the problem, you should think about it. I’m a client, and if I have a problem with a Freefly product, I sure as hell don’t expect to get a lecture over my user name, and to be told that it’s a matter of maintaining “order”.

Are you serious?

Please say exactly what your relationship is with Freefly, so that I can know who you are speaking for. Presumably “Chief Movi Whisperer” can be translated, for those of us who speak something called English, into something understandable.

Thanks

#12 Rorick Edge, May 17, 2018
  13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Rorick:
    You presently have two choices: 1) Back off on your attitude or 2) Be banned from this forum.

I'm the primary administrator of the forum and we do not tolerate the kind of attitude that you are exhibiting in your posting.

This is a forum for professionals. It is a forum for Freefly to support those professionals. Bryan is a Freefly employee who goes the extra mile to assist Freefly customers and does not deserve to be the recipient of your posting.

You are out of line on all counts.

Your next posting will determine which choice you have made.

Andy (and Gary is another forum administrator -- and he doesn't deserve your posting either).

#13 Andy Johnson-Laird, May 17, 2018
    Darrin Altman likes this.
  14. Simon Gromer

Simon Gromer New Member

Wow, that was quite the escalation.
    Not to ignite the discussion further let me just clarify that my previous username (sgromer) was just a short version of my name. Either way I don't mind those sort of rules on forums, it keeps the tone between users more professional.
    I can sort of relate to Rorick- however it was far to harsh and uncalled for.

So! I've been chatting to Bryan on the support side, this is indeed quite the isolated problem. We can't put our fingers on if it's regional, ios-version specific or what it is.
    I did a small test in the office this morning with 5 other phones. 2 of the phones (one iPhone 4 on 11.1.2 and the other iPhone 6 on 11.3.1) had the same issue, the app crashed on launch.
    One of the phones that the app was working on was an exact model and iOS as mine which sort of narrows it down to being something that I've done (installing apps or something) but I couldn't guess what it was..

The only thing I hadn't tried was factory resetting my phone.. which I just did. I went thru the whole "welcome procedure", fresh into the iOS (11.3.1), to App store, downloaded the Movi freefly app but alas still crashing on launch.

What conclusions can be drawn? What should I do? Send back the product? Try to get a new phone?

I've tried the open Beta with the same issue but is there another way to test it, like a monitoring app that looks at the code, sort of like a crash report?

Anyways, as stated earlier I'm getting a real good support from the Freefly team but I just wanted to post the progress and see if there's anyone else experiencing this issue.

#14 Simon Gromer, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
  15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Simon:
    I agree re: escalation. My posting was, of course not directed at you and, as you and other forum members realize, because all the forum members are professionals, that is why we ask that everyone use their real names and do not permit any inappropriate postings.

It sounds like you've done some pretty thorough testing. Speaking as a computer geek with a few decades of operating system development I suspect your iPhone has something mangled in the operating system. There's a couple of approaches that you can take, but, before you do anything, connect up your iPhone to a Mac or PC and using iTunes, make a backup of it.

Then you can either:
    1. Make an appointment to take it into a "Genius" at the Genius Bar your local friendly Apple Store and have them do a clean install of iOS.
    2. Do the clean install of IOS yourself and restore the apps from the backup.
    If you really want to get more information on what's causing the crashes, then the remainder of this posting may help.

As you may know, the iPhone runs a variant of the Linux operating system (aka iOS) and that means that internally (and out of sight of mortals) it keeps a detailed system log of everything that's going on on the phone. If you really want to understand what's going on you might want to do this (and I'm copying postings from a thread here:

This can only be done on a mac:
    1. Connect your device to a Mac
    2. Open Xcode, go to Window->Devices in the title bar
    3. Click on your device from the sidebar
    4. Click 'View Device Logs'
    You don't need to be enrolled in a developer program to be able to do this. ​

Someone else also posted:

Apple Configurator 2 is a free macOS app published by Apple. Among other features, it allows access to the device logs.​

1. Download and install Apple Configurator 2 on a Mac (~65 MB free disk space required)
    2. Connect the iOS device to the Mac and trust the computer
    3. Start the Apple Configurator 2
    4. Within the "All Devices" view double-click on the device attached to the Mac. An overview of the device is shown
    5. On the left hand menu bar click on "Console". The console of the device opens showing a live log
    The comments on the link for the Apple Configurator 2 program seem pretty negative and I confess I've not tried it.

Hope this all helps.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

16. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

Just chiming in for the heck of it, unfortunately with no solution. I am though a hobbyist app developer and have a few apps in the Apple App Store. Ive been racking my brain trying to figure this out. If you live near FF or send them your iPhone and they run the app from their Xcode onto your iPhone they will see in the debugger some info about the crash. Maybe Andy’s suggestion will give you the same info, I don’t know. I’m going to keep thinking about this.

17. Simon Gromer

Simon Gromer New Member

Hi all and thank you Andy for your elaborate tips on how to get more information om this issue.
    I've got some crash reports here for you, if you want to take a look.
    This seems to be a pretty isolated problem and thru my very small testing and can still correlate the problem to a couple of other phones in the office, both private and company phones.

I'll send this code to Bryan @ Freefly support aswell..

Crash code is in the attatched textfile..

Again, thanks for the advice Andy.

EDIT: Here's an interesting code string I found:
    Code:
    12:44:57.046247 +0200    moviCamera
    The view hierarchy is not prepared for the constraint: <NSLayoutConstraint:0x1d0288110 UIView:0x1046019d0.bottom == UIView:0x1045151b0.bottom (inactive)>

When added to a view, the constraint's items must be descendants of that view (or the view itself).
    This will crash if the constraint needs to be resolved before the view hierarchy is assembled.
    Break on -[UIView(UIConstraintBasedLayout) _viewHierarchyUnpreparedForConstraint:] to debug.

Code:
    12:46:32.767750 +0200    moviCamera
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'JavaLangNumberFormatException', reason: 'Invalid double: "−1"'
    *** First throw call stack:
    (0x182586d8c 0x1817405ec 0x1001e7cc0 0x1001e8468 0x1004241c0 0x100528f48 0x10056f760 0x10058c8d8 0x100589c88 0x18c2adfb8 0x18c293454 0x18c28c790 0x18c15b770 0x1866fd25c 0x1867013ec 0x18666daa0 0x1866955d0 0x18c5456b4 0x18252f2bc 0x18252ea7c 0x18252c7b0 0x18244cda8 0x18442f020 0x18c42d78c 0x1005097dc 0x181eddfc0)
    The "invalid double -1", what do you guys recon that is?

Apart from checking my phones crash reports I've also managed to get ahold of 2 different iPhones, one 8 and one 5s. Same problems which leads me to believe it might has something to do with either how I set up the phone (I tend to switch of all "services" e.i location services etc) or my apple-id setup? I don't know. I'm getting grey hairs from this..

I'm happy to get your interest going, Darrin. I don't have the opportunity to send the phone anywhere for testing, however, I've got a crash report out of Xcode.

Attached Files:

#17 Simon Gromer, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Simon: I suspect that FF tech support will be the folks who need to see the crash logs -- while I am indeed a computer geek I'm not an iOS or Android developer so I'm not capable of analyzing those log files. I'd suggest you open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) and send the logs.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

19. Simon Gromer

Simon Gromer New Member

Yes Andy, I opened a ticket on FF's support before posting here as I wanted the input from the community and also sharing if any others had any issues but indeed, this is probably for FF and app developers to figure out.

I'll keep you guys posted when a solution if found.

Cheers.

20. Cary Wilson

Cary Wilson New Member

Check that there are other apps on your phone that block it ,