/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Case Options

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rorick Edge, May 17, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I like the styrofoam case that the Movi comes in. It is certainly more compact than what I’ve seen for other gimbals.

My one concern is how long it will last, and what it would cost to buy another one. Personally, I think that it should be added to the Freefly store, if only to make it more economic from a postage point of view when ordering other stuff. I mention postage as someone who has recently ordered a Movi Hoodie, for which the postage to NYC is 50% of what the Hoodie cost. I would have added a spare Movi case, at what I suspect would have been minimal additional postage, in a second.

I’d also be interested in a tougher case that incorporates the styrofoam case. I’ll be having a look at the smaller Pelican cases, although I’m pretty familiar with the line and I’m doubtful if there’s one close enough in dimensions.

What are people using or planning to use?

P.S. There’s a thread in the Movi Showcase forum on this issue, but it would seem to make more sense to discuss it here. Plus, the two cases discussed there cost serious money (a Billingham at US$295 and a Peak Design at US$150), which is fine, but perhaps less expensive options should also be discussed.

#1 Rorick Edge, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Alessandro Garabaghi

3. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

I started the thread over in the showcase section. I couldn’t decide where to post it, we really need a misc forum because this isn’t technical or a showcase. That being said, the Peak Design sling 10L seems to be perfect. It’s nice and easy to carry, looks great and fits the Movi and accessories well. It is expensive but I have had mine for a couple of years now and it looks brand new. It really is a top quality product.

Attached Files:

4. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

I forgot to mention, the styrofoam case is nice but the Movi wont fit in it with the counterweight contraption and hoodie attached. And it doesn’t have a strap. I like the idea of having everything Movi related in one compact case (Movi, lenses, mics, weights, hoodie).

Rorick Edge likes this.
  5. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I've been looking for options on a case too. I have a few from GPC for other stuff, Osmo+ (which I sold but still have the case) as well as one for GoPro and a backpack for my Phantom. I'm hoping GPC will make a foam cut out to fit the MCR, the GPX Osmo X5 case it a nice size and would fit the MCR with chargers, cables, Moment Lenes, etc. Would be nice to fit it with counterweights installed for sure.

6. stephen hawkyns

stephen hawkyns New Member

just got my MOVI, playing around with it still in stock form. What I thought would always be awesome is for companies such as this to publish some 3d designs for the various cutouts. maybe a few versions, one for stock, one for counterweight and hoodie, etc. we could then use these to order or print custom case inserts (mycasebuilder.com).

stuff like lenses with simple geometries is easy to design yourself, have done it for telescope equipment, but for the complicated curves of the movi, especially when you start adding accessories something from the mfgr would be awesome.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

n
    Steve: This bag is working for me: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I holds the Movi CR ready for run'n'gun shooting with the Movi CR in it, with space for Moment lenses, counterweights, charger and spare batteries (including a in-field booster battery for the iPhone when I need it).

Amazon Basics Bag with Movi CR.png
    The downsides are (a) I have to remove the Senn MKE 400 mic from the cold shoe (cyan arrow) so that takes a couple of seconds to mount and (b) the Velcro on the divider (green arrow) has to be partially peeled back to allow the Moment lens to snug down.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

John Chu likes this.
  8. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Nice! That fits well with room for most accessories. I'll have to get something like that at first, though I ultimately want a hard case option. I like to be able to throw it in into the vehicle and not worry about it being crushed or damaged when packed in with everything else. Ideally, something that would fit the MCR as well as my GoPro and accessories. May have to design and cut my own foam insert for my GPC Osmo case....

9. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

That would be awesome. I know some companies supply case makers with basic design dimensions. Though I think for stuff like this it ends up being that the case makes get one of the devices and then custom design the foam inserts. I'm hoping GPC is interested!!

10. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I've been carrying the naked Movi with a small, pouch/purse/bag and found that it is very easy to hit the power button and accidentally power the unit on while in the bag.

It is not fun finding a warm Movi inside the bag. I'm going to find some sort of foam insert brace to keep that from happening again. Another option maybe sticking a rubber bumper below the button to act as a guard.

Removing and replacing the batteries wouldn't be that practical.

Update: I just switched everything to a less flimsy bag with a bit more padding to prevent the errant presses of the power button.

#10 John Chu, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018