/dist/images/branding/favicon

MOVI thoughts about hardware AND software

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Frank Algermissen, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Watch the 09:12 mark of the video just above (post #18).

2. Alessandro Garabaghi

3. Rorick Edge

Alessandro, if you want to go down that particular rabbit hole, there are lots of YouTube videos on using magnets to defeat Optical Image Stabilisation and on the consequences of using them for specific phone models, which apparently can include losing autofocus.

Myself, my approach is to avoid the problem in the first place.

I just want good footage and good sound. This means that I'm not interested in pushing the Movi beyond its limits and I'm not interested in messing with the Movi/phone balance by running an audio cable to the phone on the Movi.

Others may have different priorities. I just want to keep this simple and predictable.

#23 Rorick Edge, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. Alessandro Garabaghi

I was merely suggesting that maybe the filmic app is triggering some part of the ois magnets to turn off the ois.

I can tell you that with stabilization off in filmic the movi is the smoothest fumble I’ve used even with moment lenses.

Do you have one yet? I’m not sure what audio has to do with the movi either ... you are using a phone and the movi will record audio the same as if you held your phone... you have the option though to improve it.

Also I would not worry about an audio cable Messing up the movi balance those motors are much more robust than any other gimbal I’ve seen.

5. Rorick Edge

Hi Allesandro,

Yes, I have a Movi. Personally, I have no interest in magnets and no interest in running an audio cable to the Movi/phone. I've just decided that it will make my life easier, and I'll get a better result, if the Movi does the job that it's designed to do, and capable of doing, including taking into account the issue of optical image stabilisation, and nothing else.

Cheers

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Right. It's less than clear.

I realize there's no way you would know this, but that representative is Tabb Firchau, the president and founder of Freefly Systems. He's already forgotten more than I will ever know about gimbals and unmanned aircraft!

You're right. Having an API will open up the interface between the likes of Filmic Pro and the Movi. I would imagine that creating the API, testing it, and documenting it, is a fair amount of work, but it's encouraging to hear that FF is working on it.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Rorick Edge

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Excellent -- it's just I didn't think he introduced himself on the vid.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Rorick Edge

He didn't, in either video. But I love the tone of exasperation, when challenged on spending time on balance, in his posts in the comments section for the earlier video :)

10. Alessandro Garabaghi

Im confused when you say the movi does the job it is designed too? The movi not designed to record audio, so whats the issue? Run a cable or dont run a cable ... its not the job of the gimbals to record audio. The movi does its job and it does very well.

If you are talking about the movi app i believe we will see improvements. But i also dont see how opening a separate app is complicating your life for now lol...

John Chu likes this.
  11. Alessandro Garabaghi

So it seem like movi still hasn’t released an sdk

Thanks for writing in. FreeFly have not released a public SDK for the Movi yet so we are unable to integrate with it in the same way as the OSMO Mobile for example. So at present you will have to perform all functions by tapping the screen directly.

Should a public SDK be released, we look forward to building support for this gimbal.

John Chu likes this.
  12. Rorick Edge

#32 Rorick Edge, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  13. Gary Ratay

Gary Ratay New Member

Love my Move, sort of. Agree with comments about need for Filmic Pro integration. My biggest request would be to offer the option to have the 5 button rear controls actually control the Movi (Osmo like) Up button moves up, down moves down etc. I have filmed in situations where it really doesn't work to pan and was perfect to have the Oslo do the movement for me. 2nd request would be a follow mode.