/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movilapse and 90 degrees corners

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Frank Algermissen, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Today I played a bit and tested the Movilapse function. Well, as long as everything goes straight ahead it works fantastic. But be aware of 90 degrees corners - check 00:07 here

Otherwise I'd like to know the trick to make MOVI turning without seeing the right grip and hand. What I tried is to turn MOVI early enough in the new direction. But it didn't like to. Somehow I'd like to know how I can correct it while filming.

Feedback, tricks, hints are welcome ;-)

John Woods likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Frank: How did you have the Response set on the Movi, please? If you have it set to Fast, it seems to be able to make the 90 degree turns without the handle appearing in the right of the frame.

Well, truth be told, you can make the handle appear but you have to rotate the Movi very, very rapidly. I had to have several attempts before I could get the handle to appear.

Oh...I was testing this is normal video mode not MoviLapse, so it's possible that MoviLapse does something different.

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Frank Algermissen

Hi Andy, thx for your hints. Just to get you right: you say "smooth" turnings aren't the best solution? I already DO use "FAST". But honestly I am to shy to "rotate the Movi very, very rapidly". In "Majestic" I already do so - relatively. But not in "Movilapse". I have the feeling I can't influence the MOVI. Can you maybe try it out yourself?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'll try the Movilapse later on today and see whether I see the same issue.

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, I see what you mean Frank. Bearing mind that the MoviLapse slows the Movi's moves down by 15 times (as the default -- you can change it), then I think you have to turn corners really slowly otherwise, as you say, the handle comes into view when you turn 90 degrees left. I need to experiment some more and ask the guys at Freefly about this, but many of them are off at the National Association of Broadcasters shown in Las Vegas for the next few days.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

6. Frank Algermissen

Andy, that's kind to also test yourself. You know, of course I have to train and test to figure out what's best. Unfortunately I come from Hamburg/Germany so I am "relatively lonely" here with my MOVI experiences. That why I hope the forum will help - each other.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm originally from the UK but I have lived in France and Canada, so I can empathize with the issues associated with not being in the USA.

A larger question is what would one want the MoviLapse to do?

Perhaps if there was an angular window (based on the relative angle between the handle and the gimbal) so that if you pan left, the Movi panning speed increases (almost as though it was in Majestic mode) when approaching the right-hand edge of that window to prevent either a "hard stop" at the edge of the window or the handle coming into view... And the converse when panning right.

But the odds are the folks at FF have thought about this, so I'm going to wait until they come back from NAB.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

8. Frank Algermissen

Totally right. In my opinion FF should start slowly. Means before adding this feature and that I'd prefer basic improments. Beginning with a usable record button and ending with elementary and essential setting in the App itself. Like lock ISO, shutterspeed, focus, WB etc when doing Timelapse e.g. I really missed that last weekend and always wanted to jump back to https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/skyflow-time-lapse-shooting/id937208291?mt=8 cause they did everything right.

Indeed let's wait until they come back from NAB ;)

9. Tim Squires

Tim Squires New Member

I think it would be useful if Movi reacted much quicker to a corner - it’s a fun feature but rather limited to straight line use. Unless I’m doing something wrong!

10. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Its in the current beta and I'm sure will make it into the next update. They call it reframe, see here:

Rob Warren likes this.
  11. knappsimon

knappsimon New Member

Reframe looks great. I can’t wait to receive mine!

12. Peter Ewan

Peter Ewan New Member

Does anyone know if reframe has been implemented and if so how does it work?

13. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Reframe was released last year. When you have the Movilapse method open in the app, pressing and holding the action trigger on Movi will activate reframe. If it doesn't work, then you might have a very old firmware version and you can simply update in the app. Here is a demo of the feature