/dist/images/branding/favicon

Counterweights

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Lou Ruiz, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Lou Ruiz

Lou Ruiz New Member

I just ordered mine. I understand that with this, I am able to balance the Moment Wide Lens and Moment phone case, but I would also like to add the new Moment filter adapter plus a ND filter.

Will this counterweight set be enough?

Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Lou: that's a question that might be best answered quickly if you open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com).

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

#2 Andy Johnson-Laird, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Hi all,

question:

looks like this large weights are much bigger than mine I got delivered about 2 weeks ago Also the line in the middle and the screw in front. Are this preproduction models? Anyone any idea? How does your counterweights look like?

Bildschirmfoto_2018-05-16_um_10_03_05.jpg

FF fixed the really small counterweights also in front when using Moment Wide. Necessary only for the iPhone Plus models? I’m using the iPhone X.

Bildschirmfoto_2018-05-16_um_10_04_06.jpg

4. John Woods

John Woods New Member

They designed the counterweights to be screwed together for the larger, heavier phones.

5. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Ahhh, I see. This is the large + middle counterweight TOGETHER, right? Means when using an iPhone Plus model you need "more weight" why they used two.

Thanks man to make that clear. Quickly was afraid I got the "old" version of counterweights ;-)

Attached Files:

6. John Woods

John Woods New Member

7. Brianne Coleston

Brianne Coleston New Member

Hi Lou- I have this same problem. Were you able to figure out the balance with the ND filter?

8. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

Brianne, just to give you a perspective, I have an iPhone 6 with exactly what you have. I have ended up using all of the weights: the long and medium together on the arms, and the small ones on both sides of the of the pan clamp.

Attached Files:

9. Laren Elliott

Laren Elliott New Member

Freefly has developed a new 410-00691 - Small Weight Counterweight Kit for the MOVI Cinema Robot that includes four more of the small counterweights including the longer 3mm bolts included.

I worked with FREEFLY Team on this kit so that I will be able to balance out my iPhone 7 Plus plus the MOMENT filter adapter plus a HOYA Circular Polorizer plus an ND filter on UV filter stacked up. The cost is nearly 50% of the entire much larger and more difficult to engineer Movi Adjustable Counterweight system. I am trying to get the cost lowered on the Small Weight Counterweight Kit.

10. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

Did you use step up ring for filters? Have you used them and try to balance them out?

11. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

The kit is on sale yet?

12. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

The Moment filter attachment has a 62mm filter thread. I use step-up rings for larger filters, or a Cokin 62mm-to-77mm adapter to mount my Hitech 4” ND filters.

(I tried to use my variable ND, but the outside diameter is more like 82mm and consequently, entire assembly was too heavy to balance without juddering on some axis. That’s why I reverted to the Cokin solution.)

13. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

Sometimes I think you guys forget it's an iPhone..

Rorick Edge likes this.
  14. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Moment has to survive somehow. So what if it means convincing people to turn their smartphone into a Rube Goldberg device :)

More seriously, there are people, including Rick, who are making iPhone videos from which I’ve learned some things, including that it’s possible to make good videos from a smartphone without pretending that it’s the latest Arri.

#14 Rorick Edge, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  15. Rick Bronks

Haha. I am a big supporter of shooting on an iPhone - but I think when you need to add so many accessories it might be worth saving for the next level camera up. I’d say you’ve outgrown the smartphone for filming.

16. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I don’t know if it’s the next level up, but having used the Movi with both a smartphone and a Sony RX0, I have no doubt that the latter is the right solution if one wants to use Log, seriously control shutter speed, etc.

I’ll admit that I’m a big fan of the RX0, notwithstanding the drubbing that it’s taken from YouTube “experts”. It’s a personal decision about the cost, and how important one thinks traditional camera controls are for a tiny camera:

#16 Rorick Edge, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  17. Demetri Zuev

Demetri Zuev New Member

From my experience the counterweights that come in the kit are not enough to balance an iPhone 8 Plus, Moment Wide, Moment filter adapter and a Tiffen 62mm Vari ND, the rig keeps rolling to the left even when using all if them. It balances fine with just the moment lens without a filter though.

So right now I'm wondering if I should buy another counterweight kit or wait for a special kit that was mentioned in this thread.

#17 Demetri Zuev, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  18. Rick Bronks

With the greatest of respect I still stand by my previous comment.
    I understand using smartphone for shooting - that is not my issue but it sounds like you are trying to bang a square peg into a round hole.
    I think you need to manage your expectations of what essentially is a smartphone gimbal - you clearly have demands on your rig that would be more suited to a real camera/gimbal setup.
    Ultimately you are adding things on top of a lens which is limited to the smartphone and sensor size. I'd say that most gimbals for smartphones wouldn't have an easy time balancing what you want to connect to it.

19. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

why not email them and tell them what you are trying to balance and see if they will sell you a couple of medium weights and screws.

20. Demetri Zuev

Demetri Zuev New Member

Did that 2 days ago, waiting for a reply