/dist/images/branding/favicon

Protecting Movi Pro and camera against salt air / salt water spray / rain

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by David Jorissen, Mar 8, 2018.

1. David Jorissen

David Jorissen New Member

Hi all

I'm searching for something to protect my camera (Sony PXW FS5) and Movi Pro against salt air / salt water spray when shooting on a beach and against rain in general.

For the Sony FS5 there is the 'Porta Brace Rain Slicker' but I'm not sure if it will fit when used on a Movi Pro and there are no stores with those covers in stock in my area to test it. It also looks like it won't be possible to add a follow focus when that cover is attached.

Which ways do you use to protect your gear against water? I was thinking to wrap the camera in plastic wrap but this would block the battery for fast battery swaps and the ventilation holes. I could cut those areas out but that would expose the right side allowing water or salt air in the ventilation holes of the camera and certainly the battery area needs to be protected against water reaching the battery contacts.

Thanks for your advise!

Cheers
    David

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Just posted about this on the Freefly Movi Users Facebook group yesterday:

I turn a garbage bag upside down and poke a small hole in the middle. Then squeeze the Toad in the Hole through that hole. The Movi wears it like a dress, and you can tuck the front plastic into your clip-on matte box. Double bag it for extra protection, and bonus points for clear gargbage bags, which can be hard to find.

It still looks messy inside a garbage bag, but it'll keep camera and Movi dry and keep full range of motion. Your vest is still going to get wet, and you need to wrap your monitor in clear plastic, too.

You can also get rolls of clear shrink wrap at the hardware store and wind that around sensitive components. I did that on a Movi XL shoot where it was getting splashed by mud and snow.

094A8430 (1).jpg

Rolands Zelders likes this.
  3. David Jorissen

David Jorissen New Member

Thanks for your reply Graham! The bag looks like a good idea against the rain! I guess for the beach, the clear shrink wrap will be a better option.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

In Oregon quite a few folks wear those kind of bags as a Rainy Season/Post-Apocalypse fashion statement. :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Kenny Nevor likes this.
  5. Ranald Lloyd-Williams

Hi David,

I have the same setup as yourself. However I am finding issues to find the best way to mount the FS5II on the Movi. As you know you also need the LCD monitor to be attached, however the top handle is too big. I am also looking to record audio, do you have any solutions for this?

I am also using the Atomos Shogun Inferno. I am having issues as it is just recording the display of my monitor rather than the actual image.

If you have any links, images, videos etc that could help me out I would really appreciate it!

6. Andrew Kommers

Andrew Kommers New Member

Greetings,

This may or may not help... But this was my solution for mounting the FS7, Cine Prime , Follow Focus , Wireless hop , LTC lockit , Matte box with filters.

Since this picture I have changed it to a bright tangerine rubber matte box , and put the wireless hop on the top , ditched the Mov cam focus and now use a PD Movi 3 follow focus.

to make this package work with the ARRI dove tail you need to extend the tilt carbon rods, I used 12in small rig 15mm and cut them 11 1/4. By keeping the arri plate I can go from Movi to Tripod is just a min and back again.

Then install the digi ignite offsets so you can balance the package.

p.s I also use a u60 battery to give the brain for weight.

if you are tied to the 15mm rod lcd add a clamp mount to the 30mm Movi ring and use it as your lcd just keep it on the connection side and the wire will reach... otherwise any Sdi monitor will do.

QUOTE="Ranald Lloyd-Williams, post: 86239, member: 11401"]Hi David,

I have the same setup as yourself. However I am finding issues to find the best way to mount the FS5II on the Movi. As you know you also need the LCD monitor to be attached, however the top handle is too big. I am also looking to record audio, do you have any solutions for this?

I am also using the Atomos Shogun Inferno. I am having issues as it is just recording the display of my monitor rather than the actual image.

If you have any links, images, videos etc that could help me out I would really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Attached Files: